Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2003 5:30:45 PM EDT
I ahev a chance to buy a supposedly semi auto only M16, it is a Colt marked M16 lower, with a colt barrell and the guy was not sure if it was a colt upper or not.

How can I make sure this thing is legal?

I haven't seen it yet, I will probably have time to look at it tommorow, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has a small in both sides of the receiver above the safety switch (selector) and below the top edge of the lower receiver I would run away very fast unless he starts talking about a Form 4.

Bob
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It could be one that was redone to match up with a registered drop in auto sear or lighting link.  I know Norrells is doing this.  It may also be a reweld.  That is a gray area as I have heard of rewelds being considered MGs if the demil was not done right.  Whatever you do find out the full deal before any money changes hands.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess it's possible to take a demilled M16 reciever, and reweld it to AR semi auto configuration, but I sure as hell wouldn't want one. I can tell you this; no manufacturer ever put our a civilian AR marked M16.

To give you an idea of ATFs attitude about markings; 30 years ago, when the govt was selling M1 carbines thru the DCM, they ruled that any carbine marked M2 on the reciever ring had to be junked, even if it contained only M1 parts. Moral of the story: ATF is very touchy about what's marked on the reciever[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top