Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 6:43:17 PM EDT
I moved my front sight base forward 1 1/2 inches so that a bayonet fits my 16 inch Pre ban Bushmaster.  I installed a Smith gas block behind the front sight base.   Everything works just fine -- the gas system functions, the front sight is aligned, and a bayo fits.  But before I cut a deep notch into my barrel for the front tapper pin I want some opinions.  Should I leave the Sight base forward and install a mid-lenght RAS FF or should I move the sight back and go with a carbine lenght RAS FF?

A Bayo is of little use IMHO but it is cool.

The Gas system is still carbine lenght so I will have none of the alleged addvantages of the mid-lenght gas system either way. (but my gun works fine anyway).

Could the alluminum smith gas block ever give me trouble someday?

Is the weight of an extra 1.5 inches of RAS worth considering?

Is it cool to have a unique configuration or is it silly?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I could be wrong on this, but I thought the mid-length FF RAS was no longer being produced.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
MSTN has some left I believe.  That is a VERY expensive way to get a set up for a bayonet mount you will never use and have no use for either.  I say go with the carbine FF RAS and a regular front sight position.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not just doing it for the sake of a bayonet.  I was going to install a FF rail anyway.  I just thought it might be kinda cool to be able to attach a baynet and since I had the front sight off anyway...  

I'm going to use a Daniel Defense forend; I just did not want this to turn into a "what the hell is a Daniel" thread.

Anyway

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What I meant was the Mid length FF foreend from KAC is MUCH more than the carbine length one.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
did not know that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]
get a 14.5 in M-4 barrell fro Bushmaster and instll a phantom flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I am an incessant tinkerer.  If I permanently attached my flash hidder I go crazy the next time I got a wild hair.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
With the medium FF RAS the bipod and foregrip can be used simultaneously (Harris bi-pod).
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]By Greeno "With the medium FF RAS the bipod and foregrip can be used simultaneously (Harris bi-pod).[/b]

That's what I plan on doing unless:

I once saw a picture of a vertical grip with an extendable/retractable monopod built in.  Someone said it was a KAC prototype.  Do you guys know anything about them?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Monopods suck.  You can use a Bi-pod with car length and Foregrip but it is very cramped.  with the midlength I think I could use :

Pannels for traditional grip

A  foregripgrip for standing

and

A bi-pod  

simultaneously.  

I am not totally sold on the foregrip being the best option at all times so this setup appeals to me. I may even go with a rifle length FF RAS on the 16in I plan to build in order to have the greatest flexibility of mounting options. It sucks to find that the bi-pod and foregrip aren't very compatible (as I found with my RAS II). That Harris is huge but most other bi-pods are not competitive.

I have the ARMS throwlever bi-pod mount but I still leave it on most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
yea. Mine is not a normal midlenght.  I ordered a 9.5FSB forend from Daniell Defense.  It has the cut out for the Carine front sight base so my front sight base (1.5 inches forward) will clear it.  I was going to hack an inch or so off a midlenght but I saw the 9.5FSB and thought heck that would be easy.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top