Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 11:36:52 AM EDT
I posted this in the general AR discussion as well, hoping to get more feedback here...

I am contemplating sending my HBAR to Kurt to have it turned down to a lighter profile.

I have a Bushy 16" A2 which is currently "stock", but to which I hope to eventually add a FIRSH, Aimpoint ML2 (with the necessary mounts), ARFX stock, and a forward grip.

The 3 different profiles that are available, as I understand it, are A2 Govt., M4 and LightWeight (LW). What I would like after everything is added (above mentioned items) is a well balanced rifle that does not get obscenely hot under normal shooting (LW does??) and does not have a "bloated" heavy feel.

Which contour/diet-plan would be best suited for my application?  Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
A2 is for 20" barrel therefor is not applicable.

Kurt's LW profile is similar to the A2 profile in that its reduced under the handguards only.  Its an ounce or so heavier than the M4.  A very good compromise for weight & cost.

The M4 is a bit lighter, but unless your mounting an M203 you really don't need the notch (and its an extra cost).

Contact Kurt for the cost of a true lightweight (reduced profile fore and aft of the front sight)  It should cost a bit more than the M4 profile, but its several ounces lighter.

I think the heat is really a non issue unless you're shooting full-auto.

The true lightweight balances the best IMHO, but Kurt's LW offers a decent compromise on weight & balance vs cost.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The heat of the lightweight barrel will not bother you unless you grab the barrel.

The LW barrel is very nice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Go either light under the hand guards or LW.  You will have no need for the M4 notch with the FIRSH.  If your barrel get hot pour some water on it.  It wont hurt it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Some say the lighter the better.  I find the heavier front end of the M4 points a little better for me.  That is, until you start hanging flashlights, etc, off of it, then it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm considering the same question myself.  I was wondering how an M4 profile (without notch) with fluting under the handguards would weigh in comparison to the other options.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#6]
An M4 profile is already light under the handguards.  You cant flute it under there.  You could however flute the barrel in front of the handguards.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm considering the same question myself.  I was wondering how an M4 profile (without notch) with fluting under the handguards would weigh in comparison to the other options.  Any ideas?
View Quote

An M4 barrel without the "notch", isn't an M4 barrel anymore.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A2 is for 20" barrel therefor is not applicable.

Kurt's LW profile is similar to the A2 profile in that its reduced under the handguards only.  Its an ounce or so heavier than the M4.  A very good compromise for weight & cost.

The M4 is a bit lighter, but unless your mounting an M203 you really don't need the notch (and its an extra cost).

Contact Kurt for the cost of a true lightweight (reduced profile fore and aft of the front sight)  It should cost a bit more than the M4 profile, but its several ounces lighter.

I think the heat is really a non issue unless you're shooting full-auto.

The true lightweight balances the best IMHO, but Kurt's LW offers a decent compromise on weight & balance vs cost.
View Quote

Technically he could have it turned down only under the hand guard and that would be a Govt "type" profile. I know Im pi$$ing in left field but it has merit.
GG
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 16" bushy lw barrel.  I love it, but it does get hot.

Plinking 3 30rd mags in a row will heat it up.  But I love it.  Light barrel and skeleton stock, mmm mmm good.

TXL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top