Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 8:48:26 PM EDT
What would be the best / easiest way to add a vertical foregrip to this AR?  Looking for lots of options here.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]advanced-armament.com/ar-15.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#2]
If you do not want to spend any more than you have to, get the GG&G UFIR (under forearm integrated rail) And either a Knights Armament vertical grip or the GG&G, I prefer the knights for some reason. Donnie at [url]www.sableco.net[/url] sells them both.

The Advanced Armament seems like a good deal, but I do not have any experience with them. Their set up is much cheaper than the one I listed above. The set up I listed will cost around $100.00, but it worked for me until I can get a RAS or ARMS Sir system.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  The advanced-armament setup seems to be the same thing as the GG&G setup for less than half the price.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=157259&w=searchPop[/url]

Anyone try one of these?  They are suppose to keep accessories in line with the bbl, unlike the UFIR, etc. which will present an inclined angle due to the handguards.

I've been trying to get some feedback on these but it appears no one has any.  [:\]

At any rate, it seems like a good option....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a GREAT option.  I just assumed the other two systems that were mentioned above corrected for the angle of the handguards.  If they do not, then the system from Global Tactical Supply for $70 is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a GREAT option.  I just assumed the other two systems that were mentioned above corrected for the angle of the handguards.  If they do not, then the system from Global Tactical Supply for $70 is the only way to go.
View Quote

It does not appear that any of the other systems correct for the bottom angle of the handguards.  In fact, there have been recent threads from folks trying to deal with this angle and the fact that it ultimately ends up putting a beam of light (from 0600 mount) up over your POA/POI.

I only realized the potential for the problem when I considered a forward vertical grip.  The grip would actually be angled slightly forward, though it's probably not as big of a deal with VFG's.

I'm at a point right now where I'm considering a short term add-on rail like the GTS versus just saving up for a rail system (RASII v. SIR v. etc.).  I dunno what I'm going to do, but I usually end up researching parts for 6-9+ months before making an investment.  I'm leaning toward saving for a rail system but things change (sometimes daily [;)]).

If you end up getting the GTS, let us know what you think of it.  I replied to that thread and was suprised at the lack of interest in it.  I thought that this would pretty much be [i]the[/i] add-on accessory rail to get.  But what do I know....  [%|]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you end up getting the GTS, let us know what you think of it.  I replied to that thread and was suprised at the lack of interest in it.  I thought that this would pretty much be [i]the[/i] add-on accessory rail to get.  But what do I know....  [%|]
View Quote

Well, here is the rail and grip from [url]http://www.globaltactical.com[/url]  Everything attached great and it seems very solid.  Gonna try and get out tomorrow to test it.

[img]http://members.cox.net/daphotoguy/AR15.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever you do don't waster you money with this product.  I just purchased one today - it won't mount my Fobus grip or flashlight mount.  My Fobus bipod mount MIGHT mount with a bit of effort.

My Bushmaster forward grip won't fit on it, and I tried mounting a light on it using a scope ring.  The ring is barely (and I do mean barely) holding on.  It seems the slope on the underside isn't to the spec (MIL-STD-1913)its comming up wide with my caliper.

I've been using a Fobus M33 handguard with my carbine.  Each set (about $60) will allow 2 carbines to get pistol grips and flashlight mounts.  Mine's been fine so far.

I was going to mount the Advance Armament mount to my 20" rifle, but since pracically nothing fits on it I've dropped that idea.  I'll probably go with the Fobus M44 for 20" barrels unless I can find a good deal on a RAS II for 20" rifles.

The rail seems too wide
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
That sucks sounds like a weaver rail. I wonder if just there vertical grip is any good. I like the look of it and the price????

Forest, I have the M44L 4-rail handguard. It is very nice and sturdy. I really like it, and the rails are 1913 spec. Very well made.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever you do don't waster you money with this product.

View Quote

Forest:

What do you and the MD guys think about the GTS rail?

TIA

Corey
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:45:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever you do don't waster you money with this product.  I just purchased one today - it won't mount my Fobus grip or flashlight mount.  My Fobus bipod mount MIGHT mount with a bit of effort.

My Bushmaster forward grip won't fit on it, and I tried mounting a light on it using a scope ring.  The ring is barely (and I do mean barely) holding on.  It seems the slope on the underside isn't to the spec (MIL-STD-1913)its comming up wide with my caliper.

I've been using a Fobus M33 handguard with my carbine.  Each set (about $60) will allow 2 carbines to get pistol grips and flashlight mounts.  Mine's been fine so far.

I was going to mount the Advance Armament mount to my 20" rifle, but since pracically nothing fits on it I've dropped that idea.  I'll probably go with the Fobus M44 for 20" barrels unless I can find a good deal on a RAS II for 20" rifles.

The rail seems too wide
View Quote

Maybe your rail was a fluke?  The only other rail device I have at the moment to test with is my holo sight and it can mount on the bottom rail just fine.  I'll be getting some rail mount iron sights soon and I'll see if they mount ok also.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Corey...I just ordered one of the rails you were asking about.....I'll let you know how it works out

Bill
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That sucks sounds like a weaver rail. I wonder if just there vertical grip is any good. I like the look of it and the price????
View Quote

I own and use one of advanced armaments forward grips and love it.  It has survived several carbine classes and a lot of general use.  For the money the AAC forward grip can't be beat.

Forest,
Try calling AAC and tell them what is going on with the rail you purchased from them.  See if they will replace it with a new one.  I know several people who use them with different attachment and have no problems.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Corey - I haven't tried the rail you mentioned, nor do I know anyone who has. Sorry.

Btdrygulch - I would also be interested in your opinion of the rail.  Do a nice little review of it and I'll send you a MD-AR15.com CD Rom.

Ridge - thanks for the info of the M44, I keep hearing good things about it.

DaPhotoGuy - Good Point, it could have been a fluke.  However some of the measurements did match the 1913 spec - it was just how it was angled on the underside.  I plan on bringing it back to Fulton Armory (where I purchased it in the first place) and talk to them about it.

Azalin - I'll talk with Fulton Armory and see if others have complained (everything but the BM handgrip was purchased there anyway).  It seems things that clamp (like the scope ring & the TA60 I tried later) will work, but items that slide onto the rail will not.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#15]
So, Forest, you setting up an "accessories/rails" type page for us to reference to? It's awfully nice to post your pages for stocks, muzzle devices, A1,A2,..ect.
OBTW, thanks for that [;)]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Can somebody direct me to the URL for the pages that notack just mentioned?  Sounds useful.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:48:29 AM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Its easier to remember this:

[url]http://www.MD-AR15.com[/url]

Those pages are in the Product Reviews section - particularly the Stocks & Muzzle Devices.

[b]Notack[/b]- interesting idea I'll definately consider it.  If I don't have that particular topic the reviews would be posted in the 'Equipment' section of the Product Reviews.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#19]
So am I the only one on this forum who has purchased the rail and grip from  [url]http:// www.globaltactical.com[/url]  ???
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Jeez...I don't know what the hell I'm doing...if it doesn't stop raining soon I'm going to go out and buy a spear gun and give up on traditional shooting...
I think I said I just purchased a mount from
advanced-armament, but I didn't...it was from Global tactical...

Sorry
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Just go shooting in the rain - it build character (and I love having an empty range to myself!).
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't mind shooting in the rain.(fortunately I haven't turned sissy yet..haha..just getting old, arthritis, and poor vision..)..it's just that I need to find something waterproof that is approved at the range to shoot at...
I use their target stand and the only thing I can put on it is a paper target...(their rules) and it doesn't last the 30 minutes until the next cease fire...
I'm in the process of joining a private range close to the house so I'm hoping that will solve that problem......
Anyway...whatever it is I bought is being shipped...just got the E-Mail..
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Those options sound expensive...  I picked up a $10.00 Cobray foregrip and a bolt and installed it directly to my handguard.  No rail, but I don't need one...

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=5440[/img]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
That works for me. Where do you get those?

Edited to add:  [url]http://www.cobray.com/shop/641.htm[/url]

Thanks for the info, Shadowblade!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Just ordered a rail & foregrip from Global Tactical.  Thanks for the info!  [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to order a rail from GTS tonight to compare with the Fobus M33 that I just recently received.

I'll try to remember to post pics and my impressions.

Anyone else get their GTS rail?  What do you think of it?  (Pics would be helpful for those of us who want to see what it will look like on different carbine setups.)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't mean to appear as a TROLL, but, I got a similar rail (not sure of name brand as there was NONE) to mount to the underside of my LR-300.  I had to open the holes up to accept the two bolts, but did NOTHING to the thickness of the mounting (It is thin).  It was very soft aluminum not hardened.  I attached it to two hard points on the underside of the LR handguard and it tore free during some CQB "play time".  As far as this happening with an M4 handguard, I doubt it, as I think the handguard would break or come out of the delta ring first.  Just consider it for light use.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p5fe4d78ea3ceac8e5206851361ceca62/fbac7224.jpg[/img]

What happened to the rail?  Here it is in it's new configuration:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pd52d828bbb45cf9df173341329914bb1/fbd31dbc.jpg[/img]

I modified it with a dremel tool and knife (so soft of aluminum it can be shaved!) to brace the front of my #38 S-EX.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a GG&G UFIR and Vertical grip from them. The grip has a compartment built into it that I store extra EOTech batteries in. GG&G is running a speical on those items right now.I think ther e web site is GGGAZ.com
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I just got my AA "Swiss"  vertical grip Monday.  It wouldn't even start to go on the Liberator II handguard rails, so I stuck it on my Fobus M44 handguards on my M4gery...it went on with not trouble.  

I thought about it, and figured I was gonna get that grip on the rifle I got it for if it killed me, or the grip.  I had to pound it on the rails with a rubber mallet, pound it off, file the piss out of it, pound it back on, off, file some more...but I finally got it to slide on and off with relative ease.  I don't know what the problem is...all the ARMS stuff I'v tried went on and off very easy on those handguards.  

The grip is kinda cheap and plastic feeling, IMHO...plus, even with small hands, I find it a little narrow, and about 1" too long.  

The grip on my M4gery is the one that ACE sells...it's a little stubby one, that goes on with set screws.  Not "quick release", but it does feel nice and solid.  Bad news is that it WILL scratch/mar your rails, so be warned.  

That grip from Global Tactical looks pretty good...I might have tried it had I seen this post a little sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top