Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 6:22:17 AM EDT
How much real difference is there in these 2 steels. I dont know anything about metalurgy. Does one last longer than the other?
Can someone with a machining background help me out here?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How much real difference is there in these 2 steels. I dont know anything about metalurgy. Does one last longer than the other?
Can someone with a machining background help me out here?
View Quote

No big differance ,just get it chrome-lined...
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
How much difference is there between regular gas and plus grade? Or between plus grade and super? If the choice is before you, and the cost were the same, which would you get?

I wont argue the difference isnt that much, but no one can argue that 4150 isnt better either. So if you have a choice between the two, why wouldnt you get the best quality steel?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
As Neil says, all other things being equal, might as well go with 4150.  
[begin whine]
If Bushmaster offered mid-length barrel assemblies and/or 1/7 twist rate (aside from their limited stock of Govt. profiles), this would be an easy decision.  
But they don't, so we're forced to look elsewhere and then weigh the trade-offs.
[/end whine]

I'm not faulting Bushmaster.  Their business decisions are no doubt complicated, given the current political landscape.

Hoping for the sunset...
Randy
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
To be honest, if what I wanted was a mid-length gas system, I would not let the fact that Armalite or Rock River uses 4140 steel keep me from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top