Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 10:24:24 PM EDT
Out of pure boardom I decided to see how hard it was to take off my front sight base.  Tap -- Tap and it was off.  Now I'm interested in a FF tube.  

I've never wanted to gain a bunch of weight to get FF so I didn't buy into the SIR or even the RASII.  But the Daneil has always looked intersting because the barrel nut is alluminum and saves weight.

Is the KAC FF RAS barrel nut alum or steel?

Also what else differs between the two?

And don't tell me to hang on for  the URX because I want to do this now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Inkaybee, I'll set you on the path, but you must walk it, my son. [;)]

[url]www.danieldefense.com/store/cart.asp?catid=3[/url]

[url]quarterbore.com/kac/kacffras.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats some pretty good reading NYpatriot.   However, I did not see a gross weight on the Car lenght RAS FF nor did I see whether the barrel nut was constructed of aluminum or steel.

If anyone can answer one of these two questions please let me know.

Thanks
Kris
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't give you a gross weight, but the DD forends are definitely lighter than their KAC counterparts because the DDnut is aluminum & the KAC one is steel, like you thought.  Contact Wes Grant ([url]MSTN.biz[/url]) & he may be able to get you some weight figures.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely contact WES as he has the best customer service going. Either he or Paul answered for me once that the DD is 3 ozs lighter than the same size KAC for the reason that spider mentioned; DD alum nut, KAC Steel nut. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Posted by CRS188...
Either he or Paul answered for me once that the DD is 3 ozs lighter than the same size KAC for the reason that spider mentioned; DD alum nut, KAC Steel nut.
View Quote

Which begs the question... is a 3 oz. weight savings worth the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your barrel is secured to the upper receiver by a nice big chunk of steel???

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
[b]NYpatriot-Which begs the question... is a 3 oz. weight savings worth the peace of mind that comes from knowing that your barrel is secured to the upper receiver by a nice big chunk of steel???[/b]

I don't see why you need a steel nut to attach to an aluminum reciever.  The conection is only as strong as the alum. reciever threads anyway.

Edit to add:
Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I too have NEVER been able to find the weight listings for these things, after much research. It's as if the manufactures don't want you to know???
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
RAS 2 is lighter than my FF RAS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
[b]DevL --RAS 2 is lighter than my FF RAS.[/b]

I just can't believe that.  Are You counting the new FF Ras barrel nut but not counting the orriginal nut it replaces?  Or put another way --Are you compairing the out of box weight or the weight of the compleate rifle after they are installed?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
An installed FF RAS is heavier than the installed RAS 2 because the RAS 2 uses the standard barrel nut which is small and light.  The FF RAS has a HUGE and heavy barrel nut.  After installation the FF RAS is heavier.  I how ever chose the FF RAS because I wanted to mount a TA11 and the RAS 2 mounts it too far back due to the bridge covering some of the front rails.  The barrel nut on the FF RAS is heavier than the whole rest of the FF RAS put together.  It sure makes the set up feel solid though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
OK I see.  Now Daniel says its car lenght FF tube weighs 8.5oz (probably without pannels).  How much weight would you estimate I'll gain (or loose) if I ditch the M4 hand guards, standard barrel nut, weld spring, C clip, and delta ring; then add the DD FF plus three Ras pannels.

I really wish I had something better to do with my Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WE CARRY THEIR PRODUCT LINE, AS WELL, BUT DO NOT YET HAVE IT ON OUR WEB SITE. GOOD STUFF!

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Cost for the DD M4 setup?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I weighed the standard carbine handguards. Single heatsheild, nut, delta ring, clip, and cap(everthing that is replaced by a freefloat tube).

I came up with 6.7 oz total for the standard handguard. The M4s with the double heatshield would be a little heavier, but probably not 8.5 oz.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Which is which? [:\]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
wes I'll be ordering a DD ff as soon as I figure out what length I want.  I got a wild hair to move my 16 incher's front sight base forward and put on  a new gas block under the hand guard.  The new Smith gas block is on order.  If I can make this work I'll want a mid length.  Do you stock em?

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Posted by Wes...
THE DANIEL DEFENSE ALUMINUM BARREL NUT IS INDEED UP TO THE TASK.
View Quote

That may very well be the case. I have no doubt that Daniel Defense makes a quality product.

My only point was that if the likes of Eugene Stoner & Reed Knight deem a steel barrel nut desirable, that's good enough for me.

Make mine steel, thank you.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Which is which? [:\]
View Quote

The tan one is the DD version & the OD green one the KAC.

Make mine steel, thank you.
View Quote

picky picky

Hey, Wes, did you do the custom paint jobs yourself?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I too have NEVER been able to find the weight listings for these things, after much research. It's as if the manufactures don't want you to know???
View Quote

Ding ding ding!  We have a winner!  Give the man a prize!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like the DD is a shade higher than the KAC.  Is the top rail of the handguard the same level as a flat-top when installed?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like the DD is a shade higher than the KAC.  Is the top rail of the handguard the same level as a flat-top when installed?
View Quote

Exactly my thoughts. Wes, can you give us professional answer?.

MN
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Does the DD install with a standard FF wrench, or do you need a special tool?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Wes,

Does the fact that the more narrow and deep DD forend come out to equal the same rail dimensions as the FF RAS have any effect on the way it feels while firing?  ie. in the end do both the KAC and DD equal the same diameter with panels on etc.?  
What do you think about trying out a DD forend on my 10.5" crane upper your baby sitting for me.  I was leaning toward the FF RAS but this may be something fun to try out.  
ps.  Hopein to have the paperwork for the upper back within a month....
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top