Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 5:45:54 PM EDT
...I know this subject has been bounced around here enough, but I'm trying to settle an issue for a guy before he jumps into a pool of sh!t. While at a gun show, he purchased a 'preban' BM lower from an FFL. Supposedly, the FFL stripped the lower from an assembled rifle he had for sale at his table. OK, now the guy buys a 'preban' after market upper from a different party to complete the rifle. I'm not really clear on just how 'stripped' the lower was at the time of purchase. I know it was purchased with a collapsible stock, so I'm assuming all the lower guts were intact. It allegedly was new/unfired. The bottom line is, should there be any concern about mating these two components, thus creating the dreaded 'manufacture of an Assault Weapon' scenario?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has a true preban serial number don't worry about it. That having been said, I've seen many an postban AR sold as "preban" at gunshows.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
as long as the serial number is right i wouldn't worry about it.  i would definately make sure it's in the right # range though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The correct answer is that it SHOULD have had the pistol grip AND a collapsible stock attached to the receiver at the time of purchase to be considered a "grandfathered assault weapon".

Then again, I doubt anyone would care.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If all goes well his and my Preban will both be NORMAL when the AWban grandfathers and both will be near worthless.  

I will then replace my out-of spec lower with a new lower that is current spec and has the reinforcements where they should be.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Some say (like an ATF agent did in an opinion letter) that its only preban if its never sold stripped. How are they to prove it was not sold complete?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top