Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2003 3:16:42 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting a 458 Socom upper but before I spend the money I was wanting the groups input.
1. Does it work?
2. Are the upper be counted on to always work?
3. Can I get factory ammo and if so from where?
4. Is there more than one place to order an upper in 458 Socom?
5. If I don't get a 458 what other caliburs bigger that 223 work well?
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have mine yet, but there are a number of people who have recently received their 458 uppers.

I'd think the best place to get one would be from the guy who developed the cartrdige, Marty W - [url]http://www.teppojutsu.com[/url]

As for ammo, Corbon is the only commercial manufacturer and is expecting to have their supply ready sometime at the end of the month.  

For some information (including pics), check the following thread:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=142408&w=searchPop[/url]

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am thinking about getting a 458 Socom upper but before I spend the money I was wanting the groups input.
1. Does it work?[red]Yes, flawlessly.[/red]

2. Are the upper be counted on to always work?[red]The bolt is a standard bolt with a little machining done.  Everything else is basically standard AR15 running gear.[/red]

3. Can I get factory ammo and if so from where?[red]"Factory" ammo is available from Corbon when they spool up production.  They screwed the pooch when they thought there was no interest in the round. Now there are at least 30 guys in the world who wish we had a factory source that had kept up with out demand.  They are on the ball now and brass is being done for Corbon, en masse.  Shortly thereafter you will see alot of loaded ammo in stock.[/red]

4. Is there more than one place to order an upper in 458 Socom?[red]Teppojutsu, Tromix and SSK Industries[/red]

5. If I don't get a 458 what other caliburs bigger that 223 work well?[red]Get the 458 SOCOM!  If you ever reload you will have options out the wahzoo for heavy loads out to 600gr.  If you don't you will be getting a very nice firearm that is semi-exclusive.[/red]
Thanks for your help.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
WWP,

I'm a huge fan of this round. I have 2 complete [url=www.tromix.com]TROMIX[/url] and I'm working on getting my 3rd .458 from [url=www.teppojutlu.com]Teppo Jutsu[/url]

I must admit that I am new to AR's and firearms altogether. I just learned how to reload, have all the components, and am 1/2 way through my first batch. It is not hard, fun in some ways, and allows flexibility unavailable with commercial loads only. Currently I have 300gn JHP, 300gn Barnes X, 500gn RN, and 300gn frangible loads. See [url=http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=2&CategoryID=7290&CategoryString=9315+***+652+***+675+***+9016+***]MidwayUSA[/url] for a huge variety of bullets available in .458.

I'm an engineer. I researched the different large bore options available (a year ago) and decided the .458 was the most flexible.

Best advice I can give? Research, research, research...

Other uppers were not proven, deliverable, products when I made my choice. That has changed in the past year or so. I'm still very happy with my decision and really enjoy shooting this round.

See my photos: [url=www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=214651].458 SOCOM[/url]

or

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=156219[/url]

Best,
--LS
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW,

At the time I was looking, some of the top requirements for me were:

- ability to utilize unaltered USGI mags

- ammo availability (on one hand this is an issue with the .458. on the other, its not. it uses the same bullets as the 45-70. and they will most likely never stop making those)

- reliable

- quality

The .458 SOCOM was the only one to meet all my requirements at that time.

--LS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top