Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 2:57:45 PM EDT
Help!!!
Just got a brand new Bushmaster 16" upper, was on backorder for 2 1/2 months. Took it out of the box, gave it a light cleaning and DAMN, while I'm cleaning it (Hoppes #9 and nylon bristle toothbrush) the finish on the inside of the reciever just starts flaking off like sunburnt skin. I mean I can see splotches that look like some of it is still on and other areas where there is nothing but shiny aluminum. What the heck is up with this? Anybody heard of this before? What should I do?
Please help before I fri--in' lose it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's see..............maybe..........contact Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup...I'd be on the phone and asking for a NEW upper ASAP. For as long as you have to wait for the damn things these days, they better get to you squared away! I've dealt w/ Bushmaster customer service a few times...never had any problems w/ them and they should take care of you...keep us posted, please!

Good luck!

Rob
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never seen  an upper get dirty enough you had to brush it. Usually just a patch and some hoppes and it cleans right up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have never seen  an upper get dirty enough you had to brush it. Usually just a patch and some hoppes and it cleans right up.
View Quote

Still, Hoppes #9 and a nylon toothbrush should not be taking the dry film lube off.  Sounds like the application of the dry lube went awry, and the lube didn't bond to the inside of the upper properly.  

Definitely, call Bushie and make arrangements to send it back.

Once again, a case of the customer having to do the quality control inspection on the finished product.  It isn't just Bushie.  Seems like everybody is just shipping them out the door these days without anything more than proof firing the barrel [;D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
You have any pics of this? This sounds interesting!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses. Let me see if I can add some more info. First of all, let me say this is not my first Bushmaster. I am totally aware of the grey colored dry lube, and I have never had it come off this way before. I said it was dirty and needed cleaning, in retrospect, I think what made it look splotchy when I first got it was the finish was already discolored as if it wasn't applied correctly. Having never had any problem with a Bushie like this before, I assumed it was simply some sort of grime from the manufacturing or shipping process and simply tried to clean it off. I wouldn't call what I did scrubbing, I basically use the toothbrush as an applicator for the hoppes and then simply wipe it out with a rag. I have done this dozens of times with my other Bushie (along with firing about 1000 rounds and the dry lube in it is as perfect as it was when I first got it). What happened when I wiped it out with a rag (cotton t-shirt patch) is the interesting part. I wiped it with the cotton t-shirt around my index finger (mild pressure) and when I looked in the finish was gone (on the t-shirt now, obviously). I couldn't believe what I was seeing, so I wiped again and got shiny alluminum. There is no way this is supposed to happen. I of course will be on the phone with Bushmaster first thing Monday morning and I do expect that they will take care of me. Let me also add that I am not bashing Bushmaster, I love their products and I truly believe they will be helpful. I am simply trying to get some opinions on what might have happened and see if anyone has ever heard of this before. I also believe that all AR15.com members should always share info such as this, thats how we stay informed and learn from each other. I will post and let you all know what Bushmaster says.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah, some of you have asked to see pics. I do have a camera and can take some pics, but I am unsure how to post them here. Tell me how and I would be more than happy to post them
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be happy to post them for you...email them to [email protected] and I'll set you up [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I can spray Gun SCrubber in my upper and remove all the dry film lube with a cloth... no scrubbing required.  It comes off VERY easily and is not needed for anything... its just a nice thing Bushmaster does to aid in reliability during break in.  You dont need it.

If you do in fact have bare aluminum then you have an improperly anodized receiver.  I will withhold judgement on that till you post pics.  Had this rifle been fired before?  It was not normal wear on the upper?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
How long did you let the Hoppes soak?

Even though Bushmasters website isn't 100% clear on this, Hoppes does not play well with Aluminum, and provides no benefit beyond other, more neutral cleaners.

Stick with CLP, BreakFree, or Tetra.

[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/cleaning-repairfaqs.asp#1[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If its never been fired by you and you just cleaned it send it back to Bushmaster and demand a new upper and they will install a new upper for you.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I just sent a pic to Rob at Green Mountain, he is going to post it for us. To answer the latest questions, the Hoppes did'nt soak for any extended period of time, I put it on and immediately wiped it out. Also, this is a brand new upper. UPS delivered it last Wed, I have not fired a single round through it, (I haven't even put my bolt or charging handle in it for that matter).
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Here ya go, VarmintSlayer!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12170[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting the pic Rob, see what I mean, shiny alluminum
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh GOD! I would be emailing that pic to Jarrod! I have a new upper coming soon(hopefully soon) and I will be checking mine out for sure!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Great thing to do for him Rob.

Contact Bushmaster, this sure looks like a factory goof to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:41:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep, directly from Bushmaster
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Just got off the phone with Bushmaster, they are e-mailing me a return shipping label. The guy said they would take care of it. Will update if anything new develops.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#23]
This is EXACTLY why I always recommend to buy quality. You never end up saving a penny by the time you mess around and play games. I would be willing to bet by the end of this month, this will be all taken care off. Or my name ain't PIGSHOOTER!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Have there been a lot of Bushmaster quality problem lately?b
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
At least it isn't [violet]purple[violet][BD]

I'm sure BM will make it right ASAP!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still, Hoppes #9 and a nylon toothbrush should not be taking the dry film lube off.
View Quote

Yes, it does, and always has.  It should NOT be removing the hard-coat anodizing underneath, though.  Keep in mind that the dry-film lube is a temporary, initial lube and WILL come off with Hoppes or CLP.  That's normal.

-Troy
View Quote

Have absolutely no desire to get into any argument here, and Troy, if you say that Hoppes wil take the dry lube out of a Bushie, I believe you.  The only uppers I own w/the dry lube are Colts, both A1 types, one GI surp and one commercial.  I've cleaned them w/everything from Hoppes to the old WW2 bore cleaner that dissolves corrosive primer residue.  Both of them still have the coating intact everywhere but the lines where the ribs of the carrier rub.

Maybe Colt doesn't use the same stuff that Bushie does.

?????
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree with everybody (Damn, thats unusual). My total faith in the fact that Bushmaster will take care of me is the only reason I am not freaking out right now. Anyway, its in transit now via UPS. Has to go to Maine from Atlanta so it will probably be a week before I have any update.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#29]
On a brand new upper Bushmaster should replace it express over night mail, not make you send it back and then wait. This is not good service by Bushmaster. Why do we have to put up with this type of service.
Please post updates and everyone think about this before you buy bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Bushmaster sends parts 3rd day UPS if they screw something up.  Over night is a bit much...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top