Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2003 7:43:35 AM EDT
Hi, I am new to the group. I am an IDPA and IPSC shooter getting ready to get into 3 gun competition.  I had some trigger time on an M16 during Nam but haven't picked one up since.  Funny I swore I never would again.  Now I am getting ready to purchace an AR15 and have an information overload. Armalite, DPMS, Colt,Bushmaster?  I am pretty sure I want a removable carry handle and rail so I can play with some optics; seeing as how I now wear bifocals. I can get a NIB Colt HBar MT6731 for 939.00. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Best bet would be to put in some leg work at a gun show or couple of gun shops and handle each of the ones you are thinking of buying.
Most of us have picked up a certain rifle and had it just "feel right" in our hands.
You also get a better idea of prices and features available that way.
Three items I consider when purchasing are:
1. Is it Mil. Spec.? If not there is no assurance that aftermarket parts and gadgets will work.
2. Is it 5.56, or .223? If it is 5.56 it will feed and shoot .223.
.223 chambered barrels will not safely fire 5.56 ammo.
3. Chrome barrels last longer and are lower maintenance than non lined, the trade off is that non lined have a SLIGHT edge on accuracy, So what will it be used for, Plinking or competition?
Good luck in picking one,The names you have listed are all good choices.
And as the battle cry goes, GET ONE OF EACH! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Having been raised on the need for immediate gratification and being mentally exhausted. I bought the Colt about an hour ago. It is now clean and will be at the range for a slow shoot, clean,shoot break it.  Thanks for the feeb back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Well dammit then....Never mind! [nana]

What no pic's?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
He, it shoots great, even with .556 Mil ammo.
I look forward to a lot of trigger time in the future forgot how acurate the "black gun "is. If I could figure out how to attach at pic in this format, it would be attached. So far I have only taken six. lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, it shoots great, even with .556 Mil ammo.
I look forward to a lot of trigger time in the future forgot how acurate the "black gun "is. If I could figure out how to attach a pic in this format, it would be attached. So far I have only taken six. lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top