Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 10:42:02 PM EDT
Well, long time waiting for the review so here goes!

Chris Knipstein is a recent addition to our board, producing faux suppressors of various models for the AR line of rifles as well as others.

I happened upon Chris' website, www.geocities.com/chris_knipstein/ nearly two weeks ago and had been looking for a rather unique 'barrel extension' for my (or actually my wifes ;)) Olympic Arms 9mm upper and PWA lower - preban to postban project.

I contacted Chris via email and discussed what I had been looking for - a fake 'can' with the slipover capability that he advertised. After providing Chris with the necessary dimensions and threading of the OlyArms barrel - that quirky 5/8 24TPI he quickly began work. The 'can' is 5.5" OAL, and bored out within approximately 4", then threaded from the muzzle end. Within a weeks time, the project was complete and delivered to my door securely packaged.

The project is truly a work of art. The finish, as advised by Chris is a high temp matte black paint. The threading was very clean and securely fastened down upon the threads of the barrel, with minimal gap from bored out section to barrel outside wall.

Due to the fact the ATFies want us to permanently attach any such muzzle device, I first proceeded to pick up a Vt. American Tap and Drill combo - #36 bit, and 6-32 tap. I then went to work on positioning three steel 1/4" set screws at approximately 12, 5 and 7 o'clock, and after dimpling the barrel approx .03" in those positions - and then drove the screws home.

I then contacted a reputable welder in my hometown area - Cutting Edge Specialty Welding -with 30+ years of experience. And for you fellas in the Albany Area/Northeast, Tom specializes in Precision Machining, Fabrication and Professional Restoration of Boat Propellers. I took a quick tour of his facilities and am very impressed with what he is capable of doing. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to get in touch with him.

Well, needless to say, Tom from Cutting Edge was able to do the necessary "deep penetration" TIG weld in two days.  To finish her all off, earlier Wednesday, I used Brownells Alumahyde II in Matte Black.

So, am I happy with Chris Knipstein's work? Absolutely! He's very passionate about his work and customer satisfaction. A trait shared by many of our other reputable vendors/gunsmiths/fabricators on this board.

If you have any questions regarding Chris's work or Tom's from Cutting Edge, post away - I'd be happy to discuss it further!

One point to note, I had been advised by Chris just yesterday, that he has encountered some severe PC problems, lost a great deal of contact info and such - best way to contact him is most likely by phone for the time being
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
HKgnnr,

How does is it as a "muzzle brake"? Does it have a loud report?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yankee - Well havent taken her to the range yet, but should be able within the next couple weeks. I would suspect the 'report' will be pretty close to a bare postban barrel.

I've had the opportunity to fire a Special Weapons SW5 and Ruger 9mm carbine, and considering the weight of this rifle is greater, the recoil should be nominal and much less.

I'll be sure to post a range report as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE*****I have in stock Black Anodized Fake Silencer/ Suppressors!!!!!****** Please see site for new pics.

Hello. I am new to this AR15.com forum and would like to thank you for your time to read this.
I am a machinist that machines gun accessories for the gun enthusiasts. I can make just about any shape and size. I have a webpage where I sell them off of.
I currently make Ruger 10-22 models, AR15/ M16/M4 basic models, SOCOM type models, Colt 9mm AR15/ M16 SMG models. I have lots of pictures and details pertaining how they are made and comply with a all laws.

Please go to this link for details. I accept paypal, money orders, cashiers checks and personal checks.

[url]www.geocities.com/chris_knipstein[/url]

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell yeah Chris! ive been looking for something to put on my RRA 9mm midlength handguard upper and i think i just found it! I was looking at the MFI fake M4 suppressor but i like the profile of your 9mm model and your prices Kick there A**ES!!!  Iwould order a post ban slip over model.How far does the can slip over the barrel? i would like to take it all the way back to my gas block...Ill have to measure it but i think ive got about 5 or so inches exposed with a barrel dia. of .740 i think...Ill get the exact measurements and email ya..Also do you recommend "dimpleing the barrel for the set screws?Thanks and i will defin. be in touch..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Underdog - youre going to love this thing. It really adds to look of the rifle. If I can jump in here with regards to the dimpling aside from my case where I needed to do it to permenantly attach it.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12316[/img]

I have tried to use setscrewed postban AK muzzle brakes without dimpling the barrels and eventually they did shoot loose. It wont take much, just a little something for the screws to bite into.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was looking at the MFI fake M4 suppressor but i like the profile of your 9mm model and your prices Kick there A**ES!!!
View Quote

underdog75(or anyone else),
Could you provide some info on the MFI fake suppressor you mentioned?

Shawn
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.mfiap.com/airsoft/acce/m4-fake.htm[/url]
..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone...this weekend only 10% off on all models in stock. Not custom orders. Buy two and get 20% plus free shipping. I have anodized models in stock!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Everyone...this weekend only 10% off on all models in stock. Not custom orders. Buy two and get 20% plus free shipping. I have anodized models in stock!
View Quote

Just placed my order chris did you get it? does this one count for the discount?..UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
How do these things affect accuracy? Surely they affect barrel harmonics. I am interested in one but I am concerned that it might hurt accuracy.
Mike
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
mikelly197 - As for the 9mm, I'll be taking her to the range 'today' and will report back overall accuracy results, etc. Figuring this rifle is going to be my 15-50yrd shooter, I dont suspect much of a difference than a bare barrel.

I did have a .223 1/9" twist HBAR 16" chromelined preban upper with one of those steel slipover CAR flash suppressors a couple years back. Slipped over the barrel about 3.5" and had about 2" of muzzle clearance. Rifles accuracy was better than I to begin with, and considering such, I was still hitting 1.5" @ 100yds off the bench.

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey HKgnnr how did that work at the range?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
If I may, I'd like to post some pics that Chris sent me.
This is my 11.5" 45 ACP upper. I asked him to machine a post ban legal (sleeved) bbl extension that would bring the bbl out to 16.1".
I am amazed that the job was done in a weekend. I'm estimating total turn around time of less 10 days. I expect to have it back middle of this week if the big brown truck doesn't loose it.
FWIW, its been a pleasure doing buisness with Chris, not to mention that his prices are more than reasonable.
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Machined.jpg[/img]
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Muzzle_end.jpg[/img]
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Close_up_of_FH.jpg[/img]
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Finished.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have also ordered from Chris, and I can say you will not be dissapointed with his work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#16]
marking it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top