Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 1:42:23 PM EDT
Does anyone have any information an E. R. Shaw barrles?  What company uses them?  Are they worth a damn?  Are they chrome lined?  

Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my J&T CAR upper, and now have about 750 rounds through it.  So far, it has functioned flawlessly... not one single problem.  Goes bang every time.  And accuracy is on par with my other rifles.  

This barrel is 4140 Chrome Moly, not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
What is the difference between 4140 Chrome Moly and chrome lined?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#3]
4140 Chrome-moly is a high grade steel alloy, containing small amounts of chromium and molydenum, and is the most commonly used steel for gunbarrels.  A few mfgs use the slightly harder 4150.

A chrome-lined barrel is 4140 or 4150, and has the chamber and bore plated with a thin layer of chrome to make them more corrosion resistant.

A third type of barrel is most used for bull target barrels, but also regular barrels, 416F Stainless Steel.

Which type is best to use is of great interest and cussing and discussing here on AR15.com.

I have all three types, and all three have their plusses and minuses.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A third type of barrel is most used for bull target barrels, but also regular barrels, 416F Stainless Steel.

View Quote

Wouldn't that be 416R stainless steel? R stands for re-sulphurized, a common steel used in rifle barrels. There was also another stainless steel that Blackstar used, 700S. 700S was harder than damnit and most gunsmiths had a hard time reaming it as it really ate up their reamers due to its hardness. AFAIK, no other barrel maker is using or has used 700S.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, 416F is used by the SS that is used by barrel mfgs I am most familiar with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of the custom barrel makers that I've researched use 416R.

And a good hard chroming is not a "plate" in the tradition sense. It will not chip or flake like most "plating" will.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#7]
All of my stainless firearms (5 at last count, there could be more, not sure...) are 416F.  Won't argue the point, have not seen any listed as 416R.  Whatever, SS is a good material for firearms in humid climates.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Kreiger and Hart both use 416R stainless. Douglas and Shilen do not say which alloy of stainless they sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top