Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 7:01:25 PM EDT
Anyone here participating in the 300 Whisper barrel group buy by Randall Rausch?  Any updates?  Got mine today! (7/23/03)  once I figured out what I was doing I got it all set up and ready to test!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I just sent Randall an E-mail on Monday (5/05), and still no response.

I'm in the same boat watersniper, I just would like to know. Just the other day a buddy tells me I should consider a .300 Whisper Upper, when I think, "It's been a while since I ordered my barrel." Fortunately I have a lot of irons in the fire right now, so I've got a lot to keep me busy.

I'll post any info here if I get a response to my E-mail.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I e-mailed him on Friday 5/8, and nothing yet.  He did say back 6 weeks ago (his origional proposed delivery time) that he was having trouble getting enough brass for the orders, due to the Iraq war...  All I'm asking for is an update.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Just received a response from Randall this morning. He stated that all barrels are chambered, and profiled. The first batch is enroute from the parkerizing house, and the second batch should be shipped to the parkerizing house the end of next week. Randall also stated that he'll send E-mail notification before the barrels are ready to ship.

I don't think we'll have too much longer to wait.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Elarski,

I got the same e-mail too.  Well that's good news and puts me at ease.  I have a Cav Arms old lower I sent back for a new one, and have been waiting since Feb. for it too. I am not antsy about it because I know they will be around and see updates about the new receivers on their forum here.  Good luck with your 300 Whisper, I can't wait to pimp this one out!

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I can hardly wait. I'm getting ready to buy  my reloading equipment, so I look forward to loading for the Whisper as well. I'll post pics when this project is finished.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Still nothing:(  sounds like brass production is the major kink in the plans.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Watersniper: Have you been in contact with Randall?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I put a deadline of July 15th on the project.  The more I thought about all this, the more I got agitated.  I have a little one comming in late August.  Once he arrives all my gun time will vanish.  I bought this in EARLY February so I could have a barrel to mess with this summer...  If I don't get it soon then I don't think I'll be able to do much with it for a long while.

Randall says the 2nd batch is comming back from the parkerization, and will be done shortly and test fired.  Sounds like he may have to refund for the brass...  

To form the brass from 223, should you get a special set of forming dies, or just use the standard sizer?  I will need to get set up to make my own brass.  I DO like the idea of making the brass from 223 instead of 221, for the thicker neck.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Model1 Sales has the 300 whisper barrels in stock.  The word is that they are Olympic barrels also.

TS
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
This was going to be my Summer project as well. So what happened...I started other projects, and bought another rifle.  I recently decided to rebarrel my Mod. 98 mauser...yet another project. This 300 Whisper project got me all hot and bothered to start a project, and it did.

What kind of optics, or sights are you planning to use? I'm thinking about a Holosight, like the one I saw on a .50 Beowolf AR this guy had at the range.

Please keep us updated on anything you hear from Randall.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The holosight/red dot idea sounds real good!  I may have to rethink this.  Right now I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x set aside.  I have the 1" riser(ARMS #45?)  and medium rings for it to gain the proper clearance off the stock.  I am going to hunt groundhogs and otherwise plink/target shoot with this upper so I guess the scope will work good.  I guess this could be used to hunt deer somewhere too???  Not in Ohio:(  I have that JP 15" LARGE diameter free float handguard.  I am going to get an extra sling swivel post and mount it on the side for a 3 point sling. JP sells accessory rails for their handguards now, I guess if I wanted to go tactical that could easily be done too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Crickets still chirping here....  Why do WE have to constantly individually e-mail the guy?  Why can't he get on here or send us a group e-mail with updates every month or so?  If each of us sent individual e-mails and he replied to them all, that would take far more time than just taking the inititive to mass e-mail everyone at once....
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Randall's response to the e-mail I sent him earlier this morning...

Dave-

Good news.
a whole bunch of the barrels are now done.
I test fired about 6 of them sunday.
I just need to go through the order sheets and put a barrel with each sheet
so I can send out final total emails.
I am pretty sure that your barrel is done.
I should be sending out more emails today.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
[email protected]
View Quote

wow I may have a barrel yet!

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone else get their barrel?  Got mine today. Bolt doesn't fit into the barrel extension.  I tried two different bolts, both of which function flawlessly in the 223 upper.  There appears to be no other binding spots on this upper.  The bolt lugs do not fit into the barrel extension past the lugs in there.  So the bolt does not retract into the carrier, so the carrier sticks out the back of the upper receiver.......

Anything I might be doing wrong here?  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Try the troubleshooting forum...hate to say it, but I hope this is an isolated incident. Have you contacted Randall?

He had also mentioned "First Batch" & "Second Batch" on the barrel purchases, which were you?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Trying to stay away from 330's, thanks anyway.

Elarski, I think I was in the first batch???

I got a quick response from Randall, which quickly cleared it all up.  I put the gas block too far rearward!  DUH!  My bad.  Well now it works like a champ.  Overall I'm pleased with the metalwork.  everything lines up nicely, now that I see the way.  Now for testing...

I will post a separate range report with photos later on...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad it all worked out! What's up wit' da spots?  And I've had a long day, but I'm cornfused about the gas block. How does the gas block being mounted too far forward keep the bolt from closing?  I fear that I'm overlooking the obvious...point me in the right direction. [8D]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I really should go to sleep now...  That should have read rearward!  The gas tube protruded into the action too far, blocking the forward movement of the bolt.  what gas position did you use?  I have mine set up to use the pistol position.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Duh! That was pretty obvious...I just wasn't thinking. I believe I ordered the pistol setup, but it's been so long I can't remember. [pissed]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top