Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 6:43:18 AM EDT
Piecing together an AR with a free float handguard. Problem is I put it on last night and cannot get the receiver hole to line up with the gas tube hole. The hole in the receiver is exactly half way between the two holes on the FF barrel nut. I cannot get the nut any tighter to move it over, and if I back it off it is too loose. How do I remedy this? Try and drill between the two holes? THANKS
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Piecing together an AR with a free float handguard. Problem is I put it on last night and cannot get the receiver hole to line up with the gas tube hole. The hole in the receiver is exactly half way between the two holes on the FF barrel nut. I cannot get the nut any tighter to move it over, and if I back it off it is too loose. How do I remedy this? Try and drill between the two holes? THANKS
View Quote

Are you using a torque wrench?  Just in case you haven't seen the procedure:

1) Tighten to 30 ft-lb, loosen
2) Retighten to 30 ft-lb, loosen
3) Retignten to 30 ft-lb, continuing up to 80 ft-lb in order to align gas tube hole

I have found that sometimes it's hard to turn the last bit with the extra leverage from a torque wrench.  I've never had one that wouldn't line up before I hit the 80 ft-lb mark.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I was not aware you could torque it that hard. I thought like 40# was the max. I guess I will try and crank it a little more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a problem that goes like this:

I tighten the nut to over 30Ft LBS and then look for a slot to align and exceed 80ft/lbs before getting to the next slot.

This is because I have exceeded 30Ft/lbs prior to looking for a slot.

[b]Easy remedy- if you have allready 3time torqued it and it still won't reach- IT JUST WON'T REACH- and the obvious choice is to go back to the last hole that you passed- sometimes you could torque on it all day but that isn't going to get you to the next slot under 80FT LBS max torque.[/b]

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Some manufacturers say 30 ft. lbs., some say 50 as a minimum. Fact is, it doesn't matter as long as you've reached the minimum, torqued to that three times and used something to lube the threads before your final line-up torque. If you can't pull enough torque to line up the holes just put a cheater on your wrench! I've seen these things go over 95 ft. lbs. without any ill effects.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I was just worried since the receiver is forged aluminum that it would snap off the threads etc. It is a RRA A4 riser. Barrel is a DPMS and it fits nice and snug. The barrel nut is an Accuracy Speaks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is one hint. To lube the thread use Anti-Seize compound by Permatex. This will help you get the correct torque value on the barrelnut!!

Good Luck,
Stuart
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks, i just went to order a DPMS multi-tool with the barrel wrench and they got rid of the hole that enables you to attach it to a torque wrench. Any idea what brand and where to get a good wrench for installing a ff style nut?

THANKS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top