Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 5:08:49 PM EDT
To start off I have never used a precision mic to figure out my bullet depth. So I'm a newbie to this and need help!!! When I use the free bore tool between the bolt and lands, bolt closed. I than use the mic to measure it and I come up with a minus 16 on the mic. Can this be right???? If this is right when checking the bullet depth of a loaded military round the bullet has to be started into the lands after the bolt is closed, looks like the bullets need to be set deeper. My barrel is a ultra-match s/s .....Hope some of you that reload can help.....
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I am thinking that you may not have the plastic bullet tight enough, and when you close the bolt, the thing falls in too far.
I usually get a reading in the +4 range.
I don't believe that you can load a round long enough to touch the lands for an "Ultramatch" barrel and still fit it in the magazine. At least I couldn't in my last two.
Hope this helps you some.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've found that feature of the RCBS mic to be about worthless, IMHO.  But, it works great for setting up your sizing die.

I just take a sized case, start to seat the bullet I intend to load and slowly chamber it. Remove and measure OAL with calipers. It's actually more accurate since the ogive differs on bullet types/styles.

Unless you're single loading an 80 gr. bullet for single load slow fire you're wasting your time anyway as it won't fit in a magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top