Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 1:13:17 PM EDT
I'm very seriously considering purchasing the Bushmaster “VARMINTER”, 24" Barrel, model PCWVMS 24FVAR9. Primary use is varmint and coyote hunting in Arizona. Also considering equipping with a Zeiss Scope.
Zeiss Conquest, 6.5-20 X 50mm
Any comments or opinions? --RR
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have three of them, 2 Regular & 1 A2/DCM, custom built by Bushmaster. Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR M3, A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG) & #21 STANAG Rings.
You will be very happy with this rifle. I have had [b]GREAT Luck[/b] shooting Nosler 55 grn. BTs.

[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img]
[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=553[/img]
[img]photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=554[/img]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a very nice rifle, easily subMOA with factory and handloads. Very nice fit and finish. My minor complaint is that my Bushmaster's 2 stage trigger is not consistent; "mushy" if you will. It shoots great despite my trigger. I think you will like the rifle.

Mine is topped with a Leupold VXII 6-18x40.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful pics and beautiful hardware. From everything I've heard my choice of the Varminter is sound.
Okay please excuse my lack of familiarity with scope mounting hardware but I just want to make sure I understand all of this.

Are you using the stock B.M. risers?

When you say ..."A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG)"... are you referring to the mount that locates on top of the risers? This will sound really lame but can you interpret the acronyms for me?  

I take it ..."#21 STANAG Rings"... are the clamps fastened to the mount and holding the scope tube?

If I understand it correctly there are 5 separate components in this configuration. Would there be any advantage in machining a one piece unit that functions as riser, mount and lower "ring" halves? I ask because I'm an Engineer and also run a machine shop in which we have full CNC machining capability. I can design, fabricate and anodize just about anything I need. Would there be an advantage in a one piece unit or would you loose flexibility?
Thanks for any feedback. --RR
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Just when I was beginning to settle on the Varminter I discovered a couple other options. The Armalite M15A4(T) 24" and the Colt Accurized 24" rifle. Any opinions? What's the best varmint rifle???
--RR
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Varminter
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Beautiful pics and beautiful hardware. From everything I've heard my choice of the Varminter is sound.
Okay please excuse my lack of familiarity with scope mounting hardware but I just want to make sure I understand all of this.

Are you using the stock B.M. risers?

[red]Yes[/red]

When you say ..."A.R.M.S. #19A (not ACOG)"... are you referring to the mount that locates on top of the risers? This will sound really lame but can you interpret the acronyms for me?

[red]Yes, the rings are a separate component. A.R.M.S.= Atlantic Research Marketing System, the manufacture. Here is a picture of an ACOG[/red]
[img]www.armsmounts.com/images/19ACOG.JPG[/img]

I take it ..."#21 STANAG Rings"... are the clamps fastened to the mount and holding the scope tube?

[red]The rings attach to the 19A with screws from the bottom[/red]

If I understand it correctly there are 5 separate components in this configuration. Would there be any advantage in machining a one piece unit that functions as riser, mount and lower "ring" halves? I ask because I'm an Engineer and also run a machine shop in which we have full CNC machining capability. I can design, fabricate and anodize just about anything I need. Would there be an advantage in a one piece unit or would you loose flexibility?
Thanks for any feedback. --RR

[red] I hear people are going with the Armalite one piece mount vs. the Bushmaster mini risers. It's all about personal preference. [/red]
[img]www.armalite.com/shared/images/armalite_scope_mount.gif[/img]

Just when I was beginning to settle on the Varminter I discovered a couple other options. The Armalite M15A4(T) 24" and the Colt Accurized 24" rifle. Any opinions? What's the best varmint rifle???
--RR

[red] IMHO..go with the Bushmaster![/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with the Bushmaster because the trigger was better than the Colt 24" Accurized I handled at the local gun shop.  I have not felt the "mushy" trigger others have described, but I'm still in the break-in period with the Bushmaster.  So far, it's awesome accuracy and am quite pleased with it.  Here is a shot of it with the 1 piece Armalite mount and a Leupold LR M1 4-14.5 x 50.
[img]http://www.fototime.com/5B90BCD108AB2CB/standard.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fototime.com/B373C8ADC635CF0/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like Bushmaster is definitely the favorite here. I haven't received much feedback on the Zeiss scope.

88balanced, nice set-up, I like the simplicity of the Armalite mount. I notice your scope is positioned quite a bit lower than GI_Brat's. Any advantage/disadvantage or is this simply personal preference?
--RR
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#9]
This is my next rifle.  I like both setups.  I have an ARMS #5 mount I originally bought for my FAL.  I think I'll try it on this rig and if I don't like it, I'll get the Armalite one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top