Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 12:46:15 PM EDT
I need to find an A1 upper receiver with forward assist but no brass deflector.  I don't want a large hole Colt, that is not an option.  Does anyone makes these new?  Also, the moderator on a XM177E1/E2, does anyone make one that doesn't suppress sound so I don't have to find an orginal and pay a $200 tax?  Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster has A1 upper, but it has the deflector. Your moderator can be had from a fella that post' as WA TOM on the Subguns.com NFA discussion. He makes a replica that does not require tax.

I have an A1 w/out deflector, but is is currently holding my 11.5" barrel. I bought it at a gunshow years ago, forge marks of "P" and "M".
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
This guy was making some kits, don't know if he has any left:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=135318&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=152071&w=searchPop[/url]

They looked pretty good if I recall correctly, but the photo server is down right now.  Oh and his moderator looked authentic, but didn't need to be registered as a suppressor.

*editted to fix the link
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Scott,
here's a pic of WATom's fake moderator. He sells them for $85.00 shipped.  As for the upper, I don't think anyone is currently making them without the shell deflector.  Your best bet to find an upper might be E-bay and gunshows.  I'm looking for an 11.5 inch lightweight barrel.  Do you have one?  If so, where'd you get it and how much?
Dan

[img]http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/upload/nfapartsandaccys.637.1.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I am going to cut down a 16" sp1 lightweight.  What is that disk thingy behind the washer?  Does it come with the moderator?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am going to cut down a 16" sp1 lightweight.  What is that disk thingy behind the washer?  Does it come with the moderator?
View Quote

The disk thingy IS the washer.  The split washer on there is incorrect, and was not found on the XM177E2.  Cutting down an SP1 barrel is exactly what I did 25 years ago [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Not the washer, the larger thing behind the washer?  It has an angled cut to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe it's the grenade launcher ring.

Dan

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry; I guess I wan't clear in my first post. The angled thing behind the brake IS THE WASHER, and is so identified in the XM177 manual I have.  The piece in front of it, which is the washer used in the M16A1, is not used on the XM177E2.

Dan is correct that the the washer has that odd shape to function as part of the grenade launching process; but it is still labeled and used as the washer for the XM [:D]
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:48:58 AM EDT
[#9]
i've been tracking the function of that washer for some time. afaik, there are no rifle grenades that will fit over that dia. "sound and flash moderator". i believe the washer is the front attachment point for an experimental underbarrel colt grenade launcher that did not make the cut- based on that early telescoping design of colt's. (i'm terrible with designations, and i'm too buisy to look it up.)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Does the fake moderator from WA Tom come with that angled washer????
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The moderator in the pic was made by WA Tom.  What you see is what you get. Click on the link to see his ad. I bought one and it looks great.  

[url=http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfapartsandaccys&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=637&query=retrieval]WA Tom's Moderator[/url]

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
The link is gone for WA Tom's moderator, does anyone have his contact info?
Please email me directly at:
[email protected]
Thanks,
Scott
sbrit007
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells sells a true A1 upper made by DPMS part number 231-000-040.  It's on page 156 of their latest catalog.  They sell it for $99.95 stripped but if you have a cop friend or someone who has a C&R license they can order it for you at the discounted price of $71.00.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Brownells sells a true A1 upper made by DPMS part number 231-000-040.  It's on page 156 of their latest catalog.  They sell it for $99.95 stripped but if you have a cop friend or someone who has a C&R license they can order it for you at the discounted price of $71.00.  
View Quote

Sorry, but once again Brownell's pic does NOT match the actual product being sold.  Of the two model uppers being sold, one is a SMOOTH SIDE without a brass deflector, and the other is a Canadian type with a forward assist AND A BRASS DEFLECTOR.

Reading the print under the pic usually helps[:D]. To my knowledge, NOBODY IS MAKING NEW A1 TYPE UPPERS.

All I can say is, haunt the shows. That's where I found mine. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The link is gone for WA Tom's moderator, does anyone have his contact info?
Please email me directly at:
[email protected]
Thanks,
Scott
sbrit007
View Quote

Check your email, I sent what you need. [beer]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you IM me the Wa Tom`s  contact info? TIA
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
[img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/231000040.jpg[/img]

Like I said, the one I was referring to is out of their catalog, not online.  Their online description is vastly different than the one in their catalog.

So I guess both of us were right [:)]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have more kits listed in the EE, Pre and Post ban units avialable. There's an updated link to the Photo of the Preban kit. The post ban has a Moderator with no cut outs and the stock is pinned and welded in the open position.

Anyone with questions about XM177 feel free to e-mail or IM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top