Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 9:34:38 PM EDT
Has anyone run into a problem with a KAC RAS not aligning with the rail of a flat top upper?  If so, how did you fix the problem?  The RAS appears to be ~1 degree rotated so the rail on my flat top does not align with the rail on top of the RAS.  It's a significant problem when I mount my EOTECH on the KAC rail...the EOTECH site aligns to the left of my fixed front site.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
This is not suprising or unheard of. This is one of a few reasons why most folks DO NOT advise mounting optics to rail handgaurds that do not secure to the upper reciever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It takes a good eye (and/or a level), a lot of time and patience but it can be done.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the KAC RAS is great but I still don't see why people think it is sturdy enough to mount optics and a foregrip on.

Torque on the foregrip and you can exert a vertical or rotational force on the RAS- transferring to the top and your optics.

The E-O will give you a better FOV when mounted close to the eye as in on the upper. +it will for sure be firm and accurate in its mounting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have three KAC FF RASs , just one of them is not aligning with the upper , simply placed the optic on the upper.
Never trusted optics mounted on RIS/ RAS / SIR anyway,
PP out
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
PP, Why not on the SIR, it is stable as hell, and aligned with the upper?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone, Thanks for all the responses.  I was also wondering about the pros and cons to mounting on the handguard rail.  I was told it would improve consistency of shot placement due to the increased distance from the eye...any info on the pros and cons?  
As I have no preference on mounting position, I will put it on the flat-top.  Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it is too much about accuracy...but what you definetely get is more peripheral vision around it.

And yes I bought SIR for cooling barrel faster and mounting Red-dot forward.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PP, Why not on the SIR, it is stable as hell, and aligned with the upper?
View Quote

CAR-15,
unfortunately I'm not in love with the SIR, in my opinion it is bulky and I hate to have plastic so close to hot barrels , so I did not get any SIR for my hardware.
PP out
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
KMM-  If you are interested in placing optics in the handguard region, I would recommend talking with Wes (MSTN) about this.  I got a ARMS #38 EX-MOD-L rail from him which it ties (SECURELY) the RAS to the flat top upper.  You would probably rather fancy the ARMS #38 EX-MOD as it provides a index-able rail all the way to the sight post.  The EX-MOD-'L' has an integrated mount which allows the user to attach the PEQ-2, which not alot of folks have in the gun safe. (NOT that I have a 'personal' ONE either!)
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
William,
Thanks for the input.  I did consider searching for a rail to tie the RAS to the flat-top, but felt that should not be necessary considering I just dropped $300 on the RAS which already has a rail.  It seems like the EOTECH on the flat-top cowitnesses with my MAD sites perfectly.  Do you think the extra rail would mess up the site alignment?  And do you think the slight cant of the RAS would cause any kind of torquing problem with the upper?  I have no experience...any input you have would be helpful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top