Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2003 10:51:12 PM EDT
OK, I've decided my 2001 LEGP is going to get a SIR for it's Birthday.

Only problem is, which one?

If I bu the bi-level, it seems my current AKO sight will be able to mount forward and at the same height it is now - is that correct?

If I were to later put an Aimpoint ML2, will the ARMS throw level mount mount it at the right height - or will I need to elevate it higher?

Finally, can I get some opinions about mounting a compact ACOG on the SIR - primaril in reagrds to the height it sits - it seems like it would sit just right, but I would like input from those who have played with it.

Thanks - I tried searching, but I have been reading threads now for an hour and my eyes can't take it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:35:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I really think the ARMS #50 SIR is the way to go. Thats the slimline Bi-level SIR. If you mount an Aimpoint on the lower half of the rail (which I would recommend) just use the ARMS #22M68 with the spacer. Then you are at the tight level.

I have lots of experience mounting full size ACOGs to SIRs, but none with Comp ACOGs. When you mount a full size ACOG to a SIR, it does sit a little high. Now, some people hate this because you dont get a *true* cheek weld. Other people sont mind it at all, and some people like it for a more "heads-up" shooting style which helps when you are in a CQB, fast paced,  and/or fluid shooting environment. For the record, I use a TA31 on a ARMS #19S on a ARMS #45 SIR. This is about the highest way you can mount an ACOG without actually mounting it to the carry handle. Needless to say, I love it.

Im not 100% sure, but I do believe the Comp ACOGs *may* sit a little lower than the full size ACOGs. If so, then you will probably have your choice of mounting it low enough to get a good cheek weld, or, using a little higher mount and going with the heads-up style mount.

Either way, you'll have a great set up and you will not be disapointed. I would definately go with the new optic. If not now, eventually. I think the 2001 LEGP with a SIR deserves some better, more rugged glass. Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your input - I think I will be releasing myself the funds for this by the end of the month - I want to make sure I buy the right one for my current and future needs.

Did you see this other thread (erhhh... "post") I started? I am getting a bit confused over the butt stock issue - do you have any experience there? [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=158980&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top