Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2003 7:32:38 AM EDT
I bought 3 flash hiders as part of a package deal, I want to know what they are all called.

Heres some pics:

I have 2 like this, I know they are bird cage, but they are different, one has 5 holes with a solid bottom, and the other has 6 holes that go all the way around

This is the top of my 3rd hider

Here is a side shot, both sides look the same, and the bottom is solid

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: sorry for the crappy pics, i wanted to get good close up shots
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The top one is the "A1" bird cage.

The lower two look like the old Fabian Bros. "Mil-Brake" compensator.

LS
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Just to clarify, I have 2 bird cage hiders, one has slots all the way around, and the other has a solid bottom.

The bottom 2 pics are the same thing, just different angles
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The one with 5 slots and a solid bottom is the "A2" birdcage
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked at deltons website, and the 3rd item I have looks alot like the "Smith AR15 Brake" except mine has 3 holes in each side
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Only one flash supressor.

The M16A1 is a full bird cage [i]flash supressor[/i].  

The M16A2 model, with no bottom slots is a [i]compensator[/i] in official nomenclature, although BATF considers it a flash supressor.

The other device isn't a flash supressor either, it's a Smith Enterprise [i]muzzle brake[/i] (or a copy of one).  It can be used on a post ban rifle, but only if welded on to neuter the threads.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Chuck, thanks for the answers!

Anybody want to buy any of these??? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that you will find that your A2 "birdcage" is a true flashider, and not a compensator. ATF's classification is correct! The muzzle end opening of the A2 is of full diameter, just like that of the A1. That is part of how a flashider works.

The closed-off bottom slot of the A2 is rumored to have been first implemented by the Canadians as a response to the A1's open bottom causing snow to fly, obscuring sight, during prone firing. It is said that the US adopted this design for the M16A2 after realizing that it worked just as well on sand!

True, the diversion of muzzle gasses in the A2 design somewhat reduces muzzle rise, but don't you think that a better compensator would have been implemented if that was the objective? A true compensator will have the muzzle opening diameter reduced to that of bore diameter, or maybe a little larger, in order to properly perform its function!
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
That SE brake looks like it is intended for a .308 or larger caliber projectile.  They normally very closely fit the intended projectile (like my 22lr brake that has a ID of .234
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The muzzle brake thingie also appears on the newer prototype of the Shrike, I hope they don't go that route, I ordered a preban and I'll be pissed if it comes with a freaking brake [brick]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
maybe the closeness of the picture threw you off, i poked a round into it and it just fits, so i would assume that it is a .223 brake
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The middle one may actually be a Smith Enterprise brake.  Check the threads to see if it fits the AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top