Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2003 12:15:55 AM EDT
I am going to start my first SBR project, and does anyone make that? Any hints on what makes a good SBR upper? Dont try to talk me out of the short barrel, its what I want.
I know there are a few 1/9 twist uppers out there, but I want the flexibility of the 1/7 for 75+ grain bullets. Any help would be great.

Austin
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
You could have a 1/7 Bushmaster M4 barrel cut down and the gas port opened by KKF.  Its cheaper than a Colt.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.sawlesales.com[/url] has Colt 1/7 barrels, including 10" and 11.5" ones.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll add a curve.... I myself would not bother shooting over 62gr with a 11.5" pipe, as I don't think there is enough time spent in the barrel to adequatle "spin" over 68gr slugs, especially if looking accuracy at distance... I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My 11.5 Colt does the 75 and 77 bullets quite well (submoa @ 50M) I was around 1.5" @ 100m but on a different day - so YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a SBR post ban style flat top and use an ACE stock. i bought a 1x9" 11.5" bushy from KKF and had him turn it down to skinny specs and attach the KKF brake that looks like a long A2. taking the barrel down made it very light and swings faster than any other AR i own. i don't really mind the post ban'ness of this as i didn't what to register my pre bans. it more of a range toy than anything else. did i mension it's light?[:)] out to 100 yards this barrel will hit an 8" steel plate everytime with iron sites. i'm probably not as good a shot as the rest of you all.

oh ya, make sure your barrel is chrome lined! my first one was a wilson barrel that would not go more than 200 rounds without having FTE's. after the bore got cleaned it was good to go but 200 rounds just ain't enough.

now that i have a decent barrel i haven't had one problem with extraction or cycling.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
oh ya, make sure your barrel is chrome lined! my first one was a wilson barrel that would not go more than 200 rounds without having FTE's. after the bore got cleaned it was good to go but 200 rounds just ain't enough.

now that i have a decent barrel i haven't had one problem with extraction or cycling.
View Quote

I may be wrong, but that sounds more of a gas or maybe a Bolt Carrier problem than a non-chrome barrel.

Again, Thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
FTE after 200rds? Long distance diagnosis - my .02 - the chamber wasn't properly polished. It picks up crud and after a certain amount of rounds the fired cases tend to stick. A trip to your local 'smith will usually remedy this without a bunch of $.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top