Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2003 8:55:05 AM EDT
Expecting my SF M962SU06 light to be here Saturday.  I have a 16" Bushy DISSY.  Want to mount the darn thing.  Don't have a rail system.  Was thinking about a quick fix like a Advanced Armament Corp Accessory Rail...was told that using something like this will not put the light in line within he axis of the bore...meaning that light may not be pointing directly ahead...individual recommended I get a RAIL SYSTEM...what do you guys think...man..i need some sleep...
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You are not using the light to aim, so as long as the light pointed along with the barrel forward, you are good to go.  use the light as a tool for search and seek, move it around, strobe it, power on and move. once the target is ID, the power with the light and engage it.  you want the laser to be as close to the bore line as possible, but the light is not really that necessary.

this is just my opinion, others may varys.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking...I mean, how "out of line" can the light be when using an accessory rail like GGG's UFIR or Advanced Armament Corp's stuff????
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I been on a kick lately on two things to improve. well three, shooting straight is still high on my agenda.  one of the things I have been working on heavily is low light fighting.  most of the firfights happen during low light situation, it could be a bright sunny day, it can be a low light enviroment in a build you are searching. or tunnel for that matter.  I have read, talk to and take low light combat class as much as I can.  I was lucky enough to meet some great low light instructors and I plan on getting better with my low light skill as I go to train with those people.  Get a light, get a back up light. you never know what can go wrong.

I think I am ranting now.  damn, I am getting too old, drifting off topic might be a sign. [:)]

Link Posted: 4/15/2003 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The best answer is in fact to get a rail system. However, a rail system is not crucial. I have seen and used lights that were mounted cock-eyed. For CQB type stuff, it was sufficient. However, as ranges increased, the light was pointing off the the left while I was looking/aiming straight ahead. The rail systems available make things much more simple, but they are expensive.

SMG, low light stuff is like a whole nother world isnt it. A whole new set of rules and actions. At the last class I took, the morning after the first low light session, the instructor told everyone that he thought the most important accessory to a fighting gun was a light. I was so happy to hear that. I've been saying the same thing for a long time. He ended up his discussion on the previous evenings night shoot by saying if you dont have a light, just stay close to Neil! Hahaha, I was using a M900AB with the turbo head. It was shockingly bright. Sorry to get off topic, but I too am getting old and am a little ill tonight!
Link Posted: 4/15/2003 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Neil,

My guy at Surefire is finally kicking down a M900a, I am working on a M962su next.  I want to get a couple of A2 for back up to my M3. and several E2Es for carry around.  

Have you upgrade the rear switch to the SW02 sytle on your M3??  I am thining about it, it does seem nice to have the pressure switch in addition to a click on and off feature.  

Low light is so swesome, like you said, it is whole another world.  I have always mounted lights on my weapons, just never got drill into my until Rory McGahan delivered a awesome lecture at the HK SMG class. ever since then, I been thinking nothing but low light. I am going to do a Surefire class this June, and I plan on working lots of low light stuff with some of the top low light guys in the industry.  I got the low light bug.  

Rory also got me thinking about being complete is to be able to work with your firearms, then knifives, and if have to be, your bare hands. the so call the triad of combat. I am Chinese, but I don't know crap when it comes to open hand combat. [:I].  

Urban, sorry for hijacking your post.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That's cool, Lee.  But I'm still debating whether I should get an KAC M5 RAS for my Dissy.  Kinda sucks to put my M962SUO6 on a crappy little accessory rail dontcha think?

I know the M5 RAS isn't as kick ass the ARMS SIR OR KAC RAS II...but I don't have shorty handguards....

Link Posted: 4/16/2003 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
M5 RAS is very cool, I had a M5 RAS awhile back.  I just wish the timing was right because I sold it pretty cheap.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Could always make it into a miners helmet set up:)
Jack
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep it directly aligned with the barrel axis:

In a situation, you can and will use the dense core of the beam to point (aim) your rifle (like a laser sight), allowing more attention to focus at your environment on not on the rifle.

When blinding a target with the core of the beam, you want the muzzle to be pointing directly at them and not off of a shoulder.

Optics and reflex type sights will benefit in target acquisition at range with the light aligned correctly.

You already dropped around three bills for a non-compromising tac-light, why compromise in mounting it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
could always make it into a miners helmet set up:)
Jack
View Quote

Hey, what do YOU think I should do?  Think the M5 RAS is the way to go?  Or should I wait until [b]YOU[/b], I mean, ARMS comes out with a rifle length SIR?  But barring a RIFLE LENGTH SIR, what would you do if you wanted to mount a SF MU962SUO6 do a DISSIPATOR RIFLE???

This has gotta be good....
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Jack is not affiliated with ARMS despite some people wishing he were.
Link Posted: 4/16/2003 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Jack = Dick Swan
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#13]
[rolleyes] No he isnt and saying so is fairly unfounded in irresponsible in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/17/2003 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Just kidding...my bad...I just couldn't help myself considering that many people think he is...[:I]

But seriously, 3rdtk, what would YOU do?
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#15]
3rdtk?  Anyone?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally got my SF Millenium light (M962SU06).  Since I won't have the cash for the KAC M5 RAS for awhile, I decided to get a GGG UFIR accessory rail.  The 1st and 3rd holes didn't center perfectly, but it still went on without any problems.  Should have gone wiht the AAC accessory rail, but I didn't want a 6" rail; I liked the GGG rail better cuz it's only 4 1/4 " in length.  But, still, this is something to keep in mind if you are really picky (The GGG holes not lining up).

I talked to a GGG rep about it and he stated that he was doing to address this at their sales management meeting.  He also state that the reason the 1st and 3rd holes don't center perfectly is because the rail is a compromise.  It was made to fit the M4-type HG's and the standard full-length HG's.  The AAC rail, on the other hand, made a rail specifically for the full-lenght HG's, I think, so that's why there's no problem, plus it only $24.95 compared to the GGG rail at $49.  At any rate, the rail went on without any major problems and my DISSIPATOR looks great witht he light.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I finally got my SF Millenium light in (M962SU06).  Since I won't have the cash for the KAC M5 RAS for awhile, I decided to get a GGG UFIR accessory rail.  The 1st and 3rd holes didn't center perfectly, but it still went on without any problems.  Should have gone wiht the AAC accessory rail, but I didn't want a 6" rail; I liked the GGG rail better cuz it's only 4 1/4 " in length.  But, still, this is something to keep in mind if you are really picky (The GGG holes not lining up).

I talked to a GGG rep about it and he stated that he was doing to address this at their sales management meeting.  He also state that the reason the 1st and 3rd holes don't center perfectly is because the rail is a compromise.  It was made to fit the M4-type HG's and the standard full-length HG's.  The AAC rail, on the other hand, made a rail specifically for the full-lenght HG's, I think, so that's why there's no problem, plus it only $24.95 compared to the GGG rail at $49.  At any rate, the rail went on without any major problems and my DISSIPATOR looks great witht he light.

I'm gonna take it out and see how much of a problem it is not usint a rail system.  Indoors, of course, the light looks like it's spot on, but who knows how it will be at EXTENDED ranges like NEW-ARGUY said.  We'll see what happens...late.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=157259&w=searchPop[/url]

A good solution until you're able to swing the M5 RAS or SIR/RASII (when they're available, that is).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top