Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 12:27:07 PM EDT
Has anyone purchased Item #STK0901 collapsible butt stock (four position aluminum alloy tube), recoil spring, and buffer for $29.99 from TAPCO?

How does one take off the old stock on a pre-ban AR15 SP1? and put on the new collapsible stock?  Do you need any unique tools?

Thanks up front!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep you will need the Telestock wrench (about $5 from Fulton Armory) for the castle nut - and some moly-disulfide grease.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need any unique tools?
View Quote

If desperate, you can get it off with a punch in the dimple and a few hammer blows.  The right way to do it is to use a special wrench, typically called a "tele-stock wrench."  Bushmaster ([url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]) sells one.  It is part #223-TELEWRENCH2, and sells for $5.95.  They also sell a heavy duty version for $19.95.

Yesterday, a friend received this stock from Tapco.  The stock is made out of a cheap feeling plastic.  The buffer tube is metal and feels a little more sturdy.  The buttplate is also smaller than you would expect.  Compared to the A2 stock, it is tiny.  Of course, for less than 1/3 the price of Bushmaster's it's still a good buy.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You may be able to get away with using a Strap wrench to take off and put on the retaining ring for the telstock, but a Spanner Wrench is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an older Bushy 1-pos CAR stock. I bought it way back when 1-pos was pretty much all you could get. Fit and finish are top-of-the-line. Nevertheless, lately I've been coveting those multi-position stocks.

The Tapco stock seemed like a *very* good deal. And, it was the same small size of the original CAR stock, which I like very much. So I bought one a couple of weeks ago.

Alas, the price *was* too good to be true. It rattles like a maraca. The tube was so rough it was difficult to adjust. And the fastener on the locking rod wasn't pinned; it could easily spin right off and be lost. I sent it back right away for a refund.

I would like a high quality 4-pos, but they are unbelievably pricey for some reason. Instead I bought an RRA 6-pos from Pete for $70. I don't need 6-pos, and it's a bit large for my tastes, but it has top-of-the-line fit and finish. I haven't shot it yet, but if I don't like it I might be able to trade someone with a higher quality 4-pos than the Tapco.

BTW, the only hard part about doing the stock R&R is finding the tiny little takedown pin detent spring that you forgot to capture when you removed the stock, or that escaped when you were putting on the new one. [:)] Do it in a nice clean room with a hard floor [;)]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top