Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 9:43:58 PM EDT
can anyone advise on: is it cheaper and/or better to build an ar15 than getting a factory complete gun. what's best process for building an ar15. also, who has best deals on new bushmaster, armalite complete ar15s (carbine). would be my first ar15. thanks for your reply. de
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
BIY!! maybe, you'll save some money, maybe not, depends on what you want and how well you shop around. Not paying the FET on a new, complete rifle is savings enough. Plus you'll know everything about your rig. BIY, you'll be happy you did.[;)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what your local Gunshops charge for AR15s and whether or not you are willing to order online for a savings.

You can build an AR easily for $450 JT Dist Kit and $150 average price of a stripped lower after initial cost, shipping and FFL fees. So figure around 6 or a bit less. If you can get a brand spanking new AR for that amount or close, then by all means puchase a factory one with a warranty. In respect to warranty, if you order a kit and something is wrong folks like JT will rectify the problem.

Another option to look at is how many aftermarket parts will you want to add? If you buy a factory will you have those extra parts that will be hanging around such as grips, triggers, handguards, etc..

If you have the basics of how an AR15 works and how it is assembled, then I say build. If you are pretty much totally new to ARs then I suggest you purchase new.

Good Shooting
RED
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It is generally a little cheaper to build, with the additional advantage of getting exactly what you want.

I reccommend getting your parts from RRA, Bushmaster and J&T.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can find what you want RRA or bushmaster or armalite buy it. Quality will be good.

However if what you want isn't available and you'd end up changing alot of stuff. Then build it.

Assembly of a AR is only 1 hour or two and few special items like upper reciever vise block and few punch's you may not have.

Stay away from the low end products unless you have lots of experience and like frustration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top