Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2003 2:28:50 PM EDT
I am wondering what you guys think is the best AR FOR THE MONEY.  I mean, we all know Colt is the best in everything , but what is the best for your money?  I don't have that much right now, but I need to add an AR-15 to my collection... a good one. Oh yeah, and I don't want it all kinds of fancy colors.  Black is king.

Thanks,
Patrick
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bushmaster, a preban Colt, and a preban Oly Arms/SGW....I'd say go with Bushmaster - Colt is good but WAY overpriced - its like buying the Nike label - its just a label and Bushmaster does just as good - besides Colt has sold out gun owners for political correctness before - ie. they made postban style AR's before 1994. Oly Arms usually works.....but not often enough to recommend them. My Oly Arms rebuilt with Bushmaster parts can attest to that. Stay away from American Spirit Arms - I've heard nothing but bad about them. DPMS should be good - but I haven't bought any guns or major parts from them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA is excellent quality at a good price.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay... anybody else?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
RRA is excellent quality at a good price.
View Quote

Ditto.....I consider these as best bang for the buck.  Check the industry forum under Legal Transfers.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm kind of in the same dilema.  I have preban Colt M4 but want another M4 (postban).  I've looked all the others and finally decided on the Bushmaster.  I like their finish, their reputation and their price.  I don't like that it comes with standard carbine handguards and I don't like the brake but I'll send it to Kurt to have one of his brakes installed.  

There is nothing wrong with any of the others, for some reason I kept going back to the Bushmaster.  If I have my way I'll own one of each some day [:D]

I'll probably order it next week.

Good luck,

Marc
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything Rock River with one of their match triggers in it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
armalite!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think you could go wrong w/ either Armalite, Bushmaster, or Rock River Arms.
I have one of each & will recommend the latter first, then the other 2.

Edited to add: just be sure to get yours w/ a chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like the general applause goes to RRA...

How about their "standard A2" rifle?
[url=http://www.rockriverarms.com/standard_a2.htm]Standard A2[/url]

Thanks,
Patrick
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Huh?  General applause for Rock River?  Did someone delete several dozen messages?  

Bushmaster remains the best rifle and value.  Criteria for "best" includes chrome bore and M16 chamber.  

ArmaLites are close (but more expensive) if you can find one with a chrome bore; Colt's have too many nonstandard parts for me and general lack chrome bores lately.  Rock River is down there with Olympic.

The Rock River "Standard A2" ain't real standard, it has an unlined "Wilson" heavy barrel with a bastard Wylde chamber.  Critter will weigh 9 pounds if you put a sling on it.

It's difficult to get a real standard M16A2 type rifle because of the proliferation of needlessly heavy barrels which just add weight, and the lack of chrome bores.  Making non lined HBARs is economical and most first AR15 buyers don't have a clue.  [;)]  

But, since these rifles are extremely modular (as long as you avoid Colt's) you can get a Bushmaster or ArmaLite complete lower receiver (or even an Olympic or Rock River), then separately buy a Bushmaster M16A2 style upper with the "government profile" barrel and send it down to FL to have it neutered to post ban configuration.  No one stop shopping.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you in the extreme for that piece of advice, chuck.

How about this? I like the [url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwa2s16.asp]Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty Rifle[/url], but I would also like a 20" bbl.

What do you suggest? Or am I going to need to build my own?  How much less/more does it really cost for quality parts and having it "neutered"?

Patrick

P.S. Thanks again for your advice
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, Bushmaster is the most popular. I have one. Armalite is supposed to be better but cost more. I have one.

But the best for the least money is the RRA. I have one.

Point being, find out what YOU want and like and then either get it with the money that you have or save up till you do have the cash.

But please, don't get a Hesse!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Wilson, could be the best.
I got a Bushmaster for my hard earned $$. I'm glad I did.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I guess I'll try Bushmaster. We'll See.

Thanks,
Patrick
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Bushmaster remains my #1 choice for a first AR15-type rifle.

If you want a 20" bbl don't start with the Bushmaster "shorty", start with the standard Bushmaster 20" rifle.  It'll be HBAR, like the carbine, but can be drastically reduced in weight by Kurt Wala (who has done two barrels for me).

Buy either the rifle or carbine locally and shoot it for a couple of weeks or months until you can get a spot in line at Kurt's Kustom.  You only need to sent Kurt the upper receiver, not the whole rifle.  

For a ligher weight carbine get the Bushmaster M4 profile barrel.

Or get the carbine and then buy a 20" bbl. "government profile" barrel and have it neutered.  Changing a barrel can be done with some simple hand tools (vice, barrel blocks, M16 combination wrench, and torque wrench) and a copy of TM9-1005-319-23&P.  You'll probably find you want to have two complete uppers which will give you two rifles -- just can't use 'em both at the same time.

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 1/6/2003 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Contact Pete at Legal Transfers and have him price you out a RRA lower with match trigger, and whatever upper configuration you want.  He has the nicest CHROMELINED M4 barrels out there, and I understand RRA will be offering a lot more chromelined barrels with their expansion.  

I've owned them all as well, and I think RRA has the best fit, function and finish.  My RRA upper and lower are SUPER tight, straight from the factory, with no Accuwedge necessary.  I can't say that of the 4 Bushmasters I once owned...
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I very much respect your feedback regarding different manufactures.  However,  the RRA model I am intersted in, is only offered in .223 Wylde cartridge.  Can I run just "plain old"  .223 Remington ammunition through it or is this a hard to find/exspensive "wildcat"  round.  If I can,  could this lead to premature barrel/receiver wear.  I love to shoot at the range,  but do not want to compete and I know that getting into "wildcat"  rounds can get expensive.  Thanks much for your time--Steve
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#19]
the RRA model I am intersted in, is only offered in .223 Wylde cartridge.  Can I run just "plain old"  .223 Remington ammunition through it
View Quote
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer:[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

Mid-length answer: You can run [b].223[/b] ammo through any AR.  Some ARs with .223 Rem chambers have trouble with [b]5.56[/b] ammo; some don't.  .223 Wylde is a chamber profile, not a cartridge.  It's inbetween the SAAMI .223 chamber and the looser NATO 5.56 chamber.  Supposedly it will work just fine with 5.56 ammo, but be more accurate than a NATO chamber.  Most will tell you to stick to 5.56.  I would avoid .223, but the .223 Wylde sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the RRA model I am intersted in, is only offered in .223 Wylde cartridge.  Can I run just "plain old"  .223 Remington ammunition through it
View Quote
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer:[url]www.ammo-oracle.com[/url]

Mid-length answer: You can run [b].223[/b] ammo through any AR.  Some ARs with .223 Rem chambers have trouble with [b]5.56[/b] ammo; some don't.  .223 Wylde is a chamber profile, not a cartridge.  It's inbetween the SAAMI .223 chamber and the looser NATO 5.56 chamber.  Supposedly it will work just fine with 5.56 ammo, but be more accurate than a NATO chamber.  Most will tell you to stick to 5.56.  I would avoid .223, but the .223 Wylde sounds good to me.
View Quote

I have both a RRA and an OLY ARMs M4gery. They both are great rifles. They both feed completely reliable with either 5.56 ammo , like the Santa Barbara SS109 that is available and factory .223. They even feed well during full auto bump firing. The Oly has a 5.56 Chamber, the RRA a .223 Wylde.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Wes, could you possibly be a little more cryptic??? [;)]

Seriously though, please let the ignorant AR masses know what upper you are talking about!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a Bushy A3 20" barrel.  It's my first AR and I couldn't be more pleased.  Its accuracy's outstanding, as are its reliablility and looks (never discount the all-important CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor).

Regarding the HBAR profile, I don't find it a problem; it doesn't feel too heavy to me at all.  Perhaps after a few months I'll feel differently, but for now I'm quiet satisfied with things as they are.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Rock River Arms does offer chrome lined bores and chambers if you request it.
I have a RRA Midlength 16" carbine and I love it. It's my third AR my first two both Colts and it's a high quality rifle and a great value for the money. Some of you "Bushy Only" People don't know what your missing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top