Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2002 6:12:41 AM EDT
I am considering a flattop kit from J & T.  What are the opinions out there on barrel length?  I think they are offered in 16", 20" and either 22" or 24".
Thanks. By the way, thanks to all the folks who answered my question on 7.62 x 39 uppers.  I can't seem to stay logged in from page to page so I've been unable to reply on the thread.    
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't seem to stay logged in from page to page so I've been unable to reply on the thread.
View Quote

Have you tried deleting your AR-15.Com cookies from your browser. This seems to fix the problem of constantly being logged out for most people. I'm not sure how to do it on a windows computer (I have a Mac) but is probably simple enough.

As far as barrel lengths it really decides what type of rifle you want to build. 16", 20", and 24" are the basics and are most common. Carbines are real handy so the 16" barrel is nice to start out with. I think most people buy a rifle with 20" barrel and eventually get a carbine. Getting a 24" barrel would be less of a handy tactical rifle and more of a bench type rifle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I regularly delete all my cookies, at least once a week.  Should I dump them as soon as I come on to the website?  

So, is barrel length a function of the rifles inherent accuracy? i.e. (longer barrel, more accuracy?)  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the J&T 16" bull barrel kit. It is very accurate, and handy. I also prefer it to the longer barrels for range work. However, any JT kit will be great. Good Luck
Austin
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrel length determines the velocity of the bullet, and that has a significant effect on accuracy.

About 2.5" of barrel will achieve stabilizing spin.

Highest velocity is achieved when the full load of gunpowder burns behind the bullet prior to the bullet leaving the barrel.  Muzzle flash is powder burning behind the bullet subsequent to its leaving the barrel (i.e., wasted potential energy).  With greater velocity, the hyperbolic arc of the bullet is extended, making the bullet move in a "flatter" trajectory.

The rule of thumb for .308 shells is that it will take approximately 26" of barrel to completely use all of the powder as propellant.  I'm not that sure about .223 powder charges, but my guess is that one should get a complete powder burn with between 22" and 24" barrels.

Anyone out there know more about this than me?

Also, there are a variety of other aspects that can have the same effect.  For example, a tighter crimp can have a similar effect to a longer barrel.  Different powders will have different burning effects.

Does anyone out there know if manufacturers hav experimented with barrels that initiate spin via rifling and then become smoothbores?

Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel length has no positive effect on accuracy.  In fact, shorter barrels will tend to be more accurate.  The barrel whips around more with a longer barrel.

Longer barrels will have more velocity, so you will have more energy and the bullet will not drop as much at any given range.  The difference is really pretty minor however - like 4%.

A longer barrel does give you a longer sight radius, theoretically increasing accuracy with iron sights.  With practice the difference is minimal.  With a scope, there is no difference.

IMHO 16" carbines are the way to go.  Handy, good accuracy, and light weight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
5.56 has burmed its powder by the end of a 20" barrel.  Barrel length has very little effect on shortrange accuracy, but at 500 yards 300 FPS is going to make a big difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrel length "DOES NOT" effect accuracy!  Some people get accuracy, velocity and maximum effective range confused.

Also a bullet having a "flatter" trajectory does not make it more accurate either.  Zeroing your sights or scope for a specific range compensates for that.

Rambosky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top