Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2002 7:07:37 PM EDT
Anyone own this upper or complete rifle? I bought one, doesnt shoot military 55gr ammo well at all. At least not Winchester USA or the South African stuff. My favorite 55gr .223 handload that shoots well in everything, did not do very well either. before I give up, I will try some handloads with some 62gr bullets. Any experiences with this upper? please share.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot Fed Gold match in mine and easily get 3/4 moa groups.  

Define "did not shoot well at all"...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The Winchester USA shot 3.5" at 100yds, the South African about 2.5" My pet handload would group a few shots well then throw a couple. I have yet to get a good uniform group.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem . Shooting the Winchester USA.I was bumming at the poor groups. Someone told me that the 55gr is to lite for the 24" barrel , that when it comes out it's spinning out of control. I tried a box of Hornady 75gr ,I was happy once again. But at $16.50 a box that sucked.Try at least one box.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
john40mm: What groups are you getting with the Hornady?

jtw2: Is that Fed Gold medal using 69gr bullets?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
john40mm: What groups are you getting with the Hornady?

jtw2: Is that Fed Gold medal using 69gr bullets?
View Quote

69 gr doesn't sound right.  I think it's a little bit lighter than that.  I'm at work right now until 1am, but I'll check the box when I get home and let you know.  I've been very happy with this load.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
skid2964  I didn't do a lot of shooting with the Hornady Just a couple -Three shots in a nickle group at 100yds I didn't need to waste anymore so now I practice with the Winchester at $20.00 for 100rds.It's good to practice breathing and trigger pull but if you want that special shot use Hornady.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#7]
'k Skid, got the box I've been using...

They're Federal Classic 55gr Hi-Shok Soft points.

I've been told by others to use heavier bulleted rnds, but I've really been very happy with these.  I use the same ones in my .308 rem 700vs in 168gr and pretty much get 3/4 moa with it as well.

From what others have said though you may try the heavier weight and see what your rifle likes best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top