Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2002 4:03:17 AM EDT

I own a preban AR15 in an M4 configuration.  I was out doing some shooting and it got pretty dark, pretty fast.  I noticed a slight amount of barrel flash with the "M4 flash hider".  

I was firing some Sellier & Bellot 55 gr FMJ's.  

Since I have no other AR's to compare this to, I was wondering if this is normal or if there is a better flash hider out ther on the market.

Thanks Guys
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The best will be a sound suppressor but if you dont want to spend hundereds of dollars on a sound suppressor the best are.

#1 Vortex
#2 Phantom
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Both my preban AR's have Vortex flash hiders on them. The Phantom isn't bad either but I prefer Vortex.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Phantom will do the trick for you just fine.  I have 0 flash from my 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Best remains the Vortex.  Phantom is so close as to be almost a dead heat.

If you have a 16" bbl try the old M16A1 full birdcage, it's pretty good with military ammo (which rules out S&B).

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Prongs on the vortex bend if you do any serious rifle use.

A2 birdcage is good enough for me.  I've never noticed any significant flash out of my 14.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
My own experience w/S&B ammo is that it gives more flash than any of the military stuff.  If some of the other stuff out there still gives you an undesirable result, I'd sure try the old GI A1 suppressor first. They're cheaper by far than the aftermarket jobs, and you'll continue to have thew GI look on your piece.

Of course, if you just enjoy spending money, by all means go with the Vortex [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Prongs on the vortex bend if you do any serious rifle use.
View Quote

This was a big problem with a lot of the old Vortex units. The new "Tactical" Vortex is built from the same material you bolt carrier is (very tough stuff) and it is very doubtful that it is going to be any trouble to anyone no matter how serious you are.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#8]
A Brennan nil - Flash, but they RARE, really rare not joking rare :)

[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/4266/images/th_PHflfMCoBQIAAB8EJTY_4266_21.pjpeg[/img]

I got one and I am keeping it for a special project.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is another view:

[img]http://www.netsnapshot.com/users/4266/images/th_PHflBMCoBQIAAAZVtk4_4266_20.pjpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#10]
A sound suppressor would be pretty tits on the 'ol AR, but I live in Iowa where sound suppressors are illegal to own.  As a matter of fact I think sound suppressors are illegal to own in all states.

It would be nice, though.  Not making any noise as to piss of the neighbors...Not being tracked down by the DNR officers...Not having my "evil assault weapon" confiscated only to find out after running the #'s---again---that it IS in fact mine and legal to own.  

Ah luxury.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Sound suppressors are not illegal in all states.  They are just like machineguns - you have to register them with ATF.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A sound suppressor would be pretty tits on the 'ol AR, but I live in Iowa where sound suppressors are illegal to own.  As a matter of fact I think sound suppressors are illegal to own in all states.

View Quote

Wrong-o-, son..

[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/KnightMtdLeft.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#13]
HMM? You ask about flash supressors,
Sometimes they get side tracked.

I use both Vortex and Phantom on 16" ARs
Both will serve you well.
Any GI devise should be kept for one reason,
if you ever want to sell the AR or trade for
something else.
I assume by your question you are well past
the "I want it to look MilSpec cool."

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
What about the old 3 prong USGI flash hiders? They are similar to the vortex, but about 30 years older...anyone have any info??
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
pretty good, but not quite as good as the phantom or vortex.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the milliont htime around for this Q.

AS always from a Factual standpoint it is still the Smith Ent. Vortex (99+% efficient)

I doubt that a better FS can be made (and even greater doubt that anyone could tell the difference if there was one.)
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What about the old 3 prong USGI flash hiders? They are similar to the vortex, but about 30 years older...anyone have any info??
View Quote

I've had good luck with mine.

Depends on the ammo too. With good 193 with flash supressant near nil. With crappy wolf, a flame a mile long. [:P]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top