Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 4:51:46 PM EDT
Anybody know a manufacturer of a good reliable .45 caliber upper?
Thanks
Andy
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Rigger!!

Olympic Arms makes one; Uses modified .45 Uzi mags. But the mags only hold 16 rounds. The mags are also expensive.

I had one, shot pretty good. The finish was a little rough compared to Bushmaster or Colt. It kicked allot more then 5.56, and if you are left handed like me, allot of gas particles come back into your face.

I have read that some others are making some new lowers to take grease gun or thompson mags, and a new upper that uses the Colt pistol caliber system.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Stottman!
Your the first one to make my old MOS number
E Co. 407th S&T Bn. FT. Bragg NC.
You were not a rigger by chance too?
Thanks for the info,I took a look at what Olympic Arms has to offer,your right the mags are expensive,did you have to change any thing on your lower to make the whole combo work?
I'm also looking at the 9mm upper from RRA would happen to anything about that?
Anymore info would be greatly appreciated.
Andy
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not a rigger, spent allot of time at rigger detail though; And am Airborne of course.

The .45 upper needed no mods to the lower at all. The mag that I had had a block welded on so as to fit in the mag well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I brought mine to the range yesterday for the first time. It is accurate out to 100yds, suprised the shit out of me!
The one mag that I currently have has a little (1/8") of play front to back. When the mag is pushed to the front, I get jams. The round hits the feed ramp and jams the bullet into the case causing a stoppage.
To cure this I hold onto the magazine and push it foreward, therefore keeping the feeding angle correct. I'll be adding a small spacer/wedge to the mag soon. Mabey today.
I've got three UZI hi caps at Oly arms right now. They are undergoing the conversion, hope they don't have the same problem.
FWIW, the mags are VERY tight in the magwell when they are new. It almost takes two hands to get them in and out. They do loosen up with use.
I think they are designed tight to avoid any play in the receiver.
I'm interested to know, does anyone have a OLY arms 45ACP upper that functions 100%? I think mine will after I get the bugs worked out.
However, my buddy brought his to the range yesterday (new bolt) and it was crunching brass like a champ. Seems his new bolt has a untuned ejector and its throwing brass back into the receiver where it gets crunched by the bolt.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in one of these for mere [i]play value[/i] so keep the comments coming.

The Army just changed our MOSs so I "think" I'm now a 19D5S rather than the former 12C5S -- gotta grab the book some day.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I really liked the .45cal AR's that Tim LaFrance was making.  They used the Thompson mags.  I read something the other day that would indicate they were going back into production.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine :

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nam/Picture%2046.jpg[/img]

It's an OLY upper on a Colt SP1 lower. After the AWB disappears, im going to be getting a diferent lower.... a black one to match it.

I have never had any jams. I have a few UZI 10 rounders... i also have one converted Sten mag that hold 16 rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top