Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 8:32:13 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm planning on getting 16" M4 profile barrel for my medium range carbine (with TA31F later) and was wondering how long would it be if I opted to attach a Vortex or Phantom on it. It would make the barrel length to over 18", which IMHO, is too long for a carbine. Does anyone have a picture like this setup?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.mattdoughty.homestead.com/files/Hokie-AR.jpg[/img]
16" with Phantom...works and fits just fine.  It's the best blend of velocity and compactness.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a BM 16" M4 with a Phantom, and it's not too long. 16" for velocity, and a Phantom because it really works. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
A 16" bbl on a preban will interchangeable flash supressors.  Since the original M16A1 birdcage is almost as good as the Phantom -- by M1 Eyeball observation on moonless nights -- go short.  You'll be about 17" with the thread overlap.  If you think it's not enough supression you can always add a Vortex, but you'll be 1/2" longer.

This is how my lightweight Dissipator is setup and it's a handy length.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your replies.

By the way... Hokie, nice carbine!

Could you elaborate more please? I can't see all the stuff for sure because you camo-ed them [:D]

Oh, just a side question, how heavy is that ARMS #38 thing on your upper receiver? I'm planning to put one of these with my Aimpoint setup and get rid of the spacer. Would it work?
(I'm using Aimpoint QRP mount, no KAC, no ARMS)
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question - how much dust signature does this Phantom thing produce when shooting in the prone position?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
If the fork type thingies ar set at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock positon on the rifle, there will be quite a bit of dust. If the open ports are set at 12, 3, 6 and 9 oclock, there will be MUCH less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top