Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 5:24:29 PM EDT
Has anybody here actually handled or built up a rifle that uses a non-aluminum lower? I am seeing them advertised more and more (JoeKen Firearms, etc.) but have yet to hear any testimonials. If you have, I'd like to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Cav Arms makes a great one out of polymer.  Hesse made a bad one before they went belly up.  Pro Ord makes an AR like rifle that can be great if you are lucky, or can be a prepetual headache.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Cav Arms.  It' bright yellow and has a sticker that says "DeWalt" on the side.  Nice and light.  The pistol grip takes little getting used to as it's a bit different, but not that much.

I would highly recommend picking one up.  They're inexpensive as well.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=411[/img]
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Is that a pre-ban or post-ban DeWalt sticker? Nice touch.
Anyone else?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Carbon Fiber has been used extensively as a substitute to metal. I think it is a good material and would not be surprised to see further use in lowers. It makes them lighter as well.
When did Hesse go belly up?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#5]
>GLOCKshooter
 12/14/2002 9:29:32 PM

Cav Arms makes a great one out of polymer. Hesse made a bad one before they went belly up. <<<

Glock,

I have a Hesse Kevlar lower and know a few other folks that have them. How were they bad? How long did you have yours before it went "bad"? Do you have a URL on this, or was it from personal experience?

I have not heard of one single failure of a Hesse Kevlar lower. Some here have said it was the ONLY thing that Hesse nade that was a quality product, because they did not actually make them. It was the easiest lower to build that I have ever assembled.

Bob

Edited to ad: That Cavarms "Dewalt" is very nice!

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Who made the Kevlar lowers for Hesse?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to know that myself as I built one too.  It was probably one of the best builds I've ever done & would do it again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
No, I did not buy one because of the negative feeback from others I read when I was first considering trying to build an AR pistol, which has to come in under 50oz. As I do not have personal experience with it and you do, I will defer.  Am I incorrect that Hesse went out of business also?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Glockshooter,

I have heard the rumors as well. Shortly after the rumors started floating around I went to their website and they were selling off "excess" equipment. However, since I have not needed another lower, I haven't contacted them. I have a friend that has a few of the uppers for sale that are Kevlar. I haven't made that jump yet. Obviously there is more stress on the upper than the lower and I'm not comfortable with that just yet. [:)]

Bob

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Olympic makes a lower out of titanium and DPMS sell a stainless steel lower as well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't be surprised if FN or Colt went that route. After all, H&K and others have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top