Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2002 10:45:03 PM EDT
I got a new Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger in the mail.  

I had been warned that the trigger group would take "minor fitting" taking 15 to 20 mins. Everything went together great, except the safety wouldn't go into the on position, and the disconector didn't work. Great if you want a full auto AR that slam-fires from the open bolt <g>.

So I started the 2 & 1/2 hours of carefully stoning the tail of the trigger to get the safety to clear and the disconnector to properly engage. Once those problems were solved I cleaned everything up, cold blued the exposed metal, and function checked.  Safety worked, disconnector worked, but the trigger reset didn't work! Of course the hammer slamming forward into the Mag catch broke the paw off the Mag catch and sent it sailing across the room.

So I started another hour of carefully stoning the disconnector to get the trigger to properly reset. (at least the disconnector is Stainless steel so I didn't have to blue it when I was done).

Everything works now. Trigger pull is much lighter and crisper than a "milspec" trigger. I'm using a Wolff extra power hammer spring, because that's what was already in the rifle, so the pull is a little heavier than it would be with a GI spring.

That said I cannot recommend the Accuracy Speaks trigger.  For $133.00 it requires too much custom fitting.  The fitting instructions are not very clear, and don't even cover the final problem I had, of the hammer dropping as the trigger is released.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I heartily endorse this trigger, but you have to get it installed correctly.  Doing it the first time is often difficult if you're learning about sear angles, etc. at the same time.  This trigger is in my semiautomatic primary weapon.

There is no need for "extra power" springs on these rifles, this spring may have been partially the cause of some problems in the installation.  The military spec spring works well and is a very low demand replacement part.  Higher then spec spring rate increases wear on the trigger, hammer, and disconnector with no benefit.  These rifles will function with much [i]less[/i] spring power than standard and an inexpensive way to lighten trigger pull is to simply install one of the yellow JP hammer springs.

What lower receiver was this installed in?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Chuck, Accuracy Speaks make the best single stage trigger on the market.  I spended about 15 minutes and got all the parts to work beautifully.  I did not think it was a big deal especially you can tailor the trigger group to fit the exact deminsion of your lower. I found the instruction pretty clear, and Derek at accuracy told me to call him if I ran into any trouble.

I highly recommand the Accuracy Speak trigger it is will worth the money you spend on it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a stock Bushmaster trigger, can I really lighten trigger pull by installing the "yellow JP hammer spring" ?  Where do I go to order this spring?  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#4]
just try to stone your trigger pin it will make your trigger smoothier, but not lighter.

You can order JP product straight from their web site.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
what is there web address, I tried a bunch of different ways but it doesn't come up?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.jpar15.com/index2.htm[/url]

here you go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Another trick is to spin the trigger and hammer pins in a drill and smooth the center sections with 0000 steel wool.  This will remove a bit of "grit" from the trigger and makes it feel lighter because it's smoother.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Chuck!
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Chuck,
You may be right about the Wolff extra power hammer spring, although it's only about 5% heavier than stock. I went with the heavier hammer spring(s), in all my rifles, after buying a couple cases of 1980's South African ammo with very hard primers. $3.00 for a spring was cheaper than throwing away $300.00 worth of ammo.

Chen,
The fitting instructions shipped with my unit clearly address only two possible problems. They do not specifically address the hammer falling as the trigger is released. Which is actually a pretty common AR15/M16 trigger group problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't blame you for the trouble you have experienced.  I would be pretty upset too.

The instruction I had spoke about stoning the disconnector if the hammer would move if you let the trigger off.  I assume it my hammer falls with the release of the trigger was the same deal, so I proceed to stone down the disconnector.  I put in about ten minute of stoning, well actually very careful filing, I was good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top