Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2002 10:27:36 AM EDT
If you lower the A2 rear sight to the bottom (mechanical zero), what is the height over bore (HOB) of the large aperture and the small aperture?

Thanks for any help...
JCraig
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Height over bore is usually measured by the front sight.  Standard is 2.6".  Though there is some variance (Colt's M4 barrels have a different height front sight - the detachable carryhandles are different to reflect this).

There should be a 2-3moa difference between the large & small aperture - however there seems to be some variance by the AR manufacturers as evidence by this article:
www.aosights.com/faq/10.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Forest good article, thanks for the info.

It seem the small aperture can vary.  But what about the large aperture? If the large aperture is at mechanical zero, what is its HOB? Is it 2.6" also?

I’m working on a 25 yard variation target for the Improved Battlesight Zero by Lt. Colonel Chuck Santose, for the next release of our TargetExpress software.  Mr. Santose’s method sights in at 50 yards with the rear sight set to 8/3 -2 using the small aperture.  Assuming flat trajectory, at 25 yards the point of impact should be ½ of the HOB.

Comments please…

Thanks again,
JCraig
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
J,
We already solved the 25 yard issue with LTC Santose's Zero.

Assuming an adjustable rear sight on a 20" rifle you set it to '4+2' to zero at 25 yards; or '4' if you have a carbine sight radius. Point of aim=point of impact.

But if you want to zero with the sight set to 8/3 +2 the point of impact should be about 1.2" (say an inch and a quarter) below the point of aim.

Zeroing is ALWAYS done with the small aperture for the most precise sight picture.  The height of the rear sight should be a fraction higher than 2.6", the difference being measured in hundreths of an inch I'm sure.  Look at the difference in heigh of the small & large apertures, its miniscule but makes noticable changes downrange.

Edited to fix brain-cramp
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again Forest,
I will adjust my targets accordingly.  I'm mainly working on easier to shoot at sighting targets. Targets with alignment marks and such, ...your front site here... kind of stuff.

But we are looking for new targets to add to our software.  Any ideas or suggestions are always welcome.

JCraig
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Assuming an adjustable rear sight you set it to '4' to zero at 25 yards; or '4 +2' if you have a carbine sight radius.
That's the opposite of what's on your site:

For 20"+ barreled rifles (or Dissapator style carbines) set the wheel to 4 +2 Clicks
For 16" (and less) carbines (short sight radius) set the wheel to 4 (400M setting)

I think the site is right, but can you verify?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the site is right, but can you verify?

Site is correct - poster had a brain cramp .

I will correct my post - thanks for catching it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top