Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2002 1:17:21 AM EDT
[I originally posted this in "AR Discussions", to no avail. Perhaps someone could help with a few simple newbie questions?]

I have decided that this is the rifle for me. On Friday, I will probably go to my FFL and order one with the black furniture. But before I do that, I have a few unanswered questions...

1. Are the A.R.M.S. #40 Flip up rear site and the Swan Sleeve #38 Standard Length with integrated flip up site compatible with the above mentioned rifle?

2. Could anyone suggest a front flip up site that would match up with the rear sites mentioned above?

3. Is the S.I.R. compatible with the M15A4 Carbine? If I used a S.I.R. forend on the M15A4 Carbine, would I have room left on the upper reciever to mount a A.R.M.S. #40 Flip up rear site?

Also, I would like to thank all of the members of this forum for their helpfulness, as well as the ops/mods for running AR15.com. It is without a doubt the most helpful and informative AR site I have ever found.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#1]

1. Are the A.R.M.S. #40 Flip up rear site and the Swan Sleeve #38 Standard Length with integrated flip up site compatible with the above mentioned rifle? YES

2. Could anyone suggest a front flip up site that would match up with the rear sites mentioned above? Knight's Armament Co., GGG there are several that make front flip-up sights. (you could always get a flat-top w/ standard FS tower, as it does not interfer w/ optics, my personal choice, see bottom pic, "C" model)

3. Is the S.I.R. compatible with the M15A4 Carbine? If I used a S.I.R. forend on the M15A4 Carbine, would I have room left on the upper reciever to mount a A.R.M.S. #40 Flip up rear site? YES, (see pic up top "M" model, fits like a glove.

Mike

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
1.  Yes,  but not together per se as the #38 already has a #40 built into it.

2.  Bushmaster makes a nice one, but YMMV on others I have not tried yet (GG&G, KAC, PRI, etc.).

3.  Yes and yes.  Get the SIR "C" (civilian) as it is more versatile than a permanently mounted "M" (military) model IMO.

Enjoy your AR and get some training with it!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.armsmounts.com/images/45M.JPG
Does the front site pictured above replace then entire gas block? I am looking for something to attach to the dovetailed front gas block on the M15A4 Carbine or SPR. Will the (front)sites you mentioned work for that application?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what type is shown on A.R.M.S. site pic, but GG&G, KAC and PRI all make one which will accomplish what your lookin to do.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not sure what type is shown on A.R.M.S. site pic, but GG&G, KAC and PRI all make one which will accomplish what your lookin to do.

Mike

PRI? Never heard of them. A link to their site perhaps?
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
First of all keep in mind that if the weapon in question is wearing Armalite's mid-length handguards, the SIR is going to look a bit funny on it.  The #38 or #40 will work regardless (as long as it's a flat top, of course.) Precision Reflex, Inc. (PRI) doesn't have a website up & running yet, but you can view some of their fine product's on www.mstn.biz or on www.mountsplus.com.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First of all keep in mind that if the weapon in question is wearing Armalite's mid-length handguards, the SIR is going to look a bit funny on it.

Why would that be?

www.mountplus.com.

It appears your link is broken
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about that; it's www.mountsplus.com (I fixed the above link, too.)  The difference in standard handguards & the mid-length is a couple of inches or so, I believe, which would subsequently leave about that much exposed barrel (& gas tube) in between the front end of the SIR & rear of the gas block/handguard cap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are going with the midlength handguard armalite carbine, you might want to think about getting a midlength Knights FF RAS. It will be the correct length. The SIR just wont be quite right.

To my way of thinkning, you are getting a flat top gun which is ideal for setting up optics. If optics are going to be your primarg sighting system, why get the Armalite midlength handguard gun. Its nice that the midlength handguards give you a slightly longer sight radius, but it sounds like you are going to be using optics. If that is the case, that longer sight radius will not be very useful to you and you'll have a gun with non standard handguards that will prevent you from getting products like the SIR... for no reason.

I'd just go with the standard carbine length gun, get the SIR you want, flip up front you want (PRI is awesome) and have a blast!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top