Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 3:43:22 PM EDT
Got mine from Wes at MSTN, excellent service by the way , thought I'd share some pics with you, if you've had enough of RAS II please ignore them
Does anyone know why KAC decided to do away with all the index numbers?

Link Posted: 10/14/2002 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind of digital cam do you have?  I need to take some pics, too!

(edited to add that I was talking about taking pics of my just newly installed PRI tube...oops)
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a POS Olympus, how do you like your RAS II?  I kind of wonder how I really know the RAS II is lined up properly along the bore...
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Will the arms 19a fit on the rail I cant give up my throw levers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#4]
No, ARMS #19ACOG will not fit behind the rail...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
We didn't laze the addresses on the RAS II because of confusion on how the government will eventually want it.  As you know, the RIS was directed to be addressed from front to rear by USSOCOM (grooves 1-15), and the M4 & M5 RAS addressed from rear to front, counting the upper receiver grooves as 1-13 first by the big Army, so the rear of the RAS starts at 14.
By the way, my ARMS # 19 fits behind the RAS II, but there is no room for a back-up iron sight and you obviously lose some of your original eye relief adjustability.  This may then require a slip-on recoil pad with spacers.
Now as to the "why" of all this, the answer is that almost every element of an aftermarket small arms accessory is some combination of compromise & benefit.  For example,
(1) RAS II free-floats the barrel in a neat and easy 30 second installation: compromise: lose some flexibility in mounting an ACOG, particularly one equipped with an ARMS # 19.
(2) FF RAS MRE free-floats the barrel, but requires an armorer to install: benefit: the entire top rail is flat so allowing for total flexibility in optical sight mounting.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
By the way, my ARMS # 19 fits behind the RAS II, but there is no room for a back-up iron sight and you obviously lose some of your original eye relief adjustability.

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Coldblue, The RAS II setup seems sweet but I have a question for you...

I've been told the hump is too high to work correctly with the Aimpoint Railgrabber mount and BUIS. This seems a bit odd to me as I assume that the Railgrabber is the most commonly deployed AP mount with the Armed Forces. Is my information correct? If so, what was the reason for this particular height?

Thanks,
Ed
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess it all depends on what Aimpoint Rail Grabber Mount we are speaking of.
I know that some people think the aimpomit mount that comes "free" with a COMP-M, and such, is a little too low for co-withnessing, but shooting it mounted thusly seems ok to me.
However, I long ago hacksawed the front sight tower off the upper I base this opinion/evaluation on.  So, I just tried this on a barrel with a normal sight tower, and man, you can really see a lot of front sight tower in the Aimpoints field of view.
By switching over to our Low Profile Aimpoint Mount (P/N: 99430) that is about a 1/4" higher, this appears about perfect for not having the front sight tower image bother you too much out in front, and for the co-witness function. By the way, the centerline of this low profile mount is about 1.10" above the top surface of the rail its mounted to.
Our other Aimpoint mounts are surely too high to mount on the "hump", as they are 1.57" high, which is where you need to be if you want your Aimpoint on the upper receiver's original rail surface, or the front (same height) rail of the RAS II.
An advantage of these "too high" mounts (P/N: 98512 & 98073) however, is if you are possibly going to shoot with a gas mask or respirator on, then moving your Aimpoint to the "hump" fro m the lower rail sections may be a good idea, as its higher line of sight may match you now higher cheek weld.
I am a big believer in "clearing the deck" when it comes to potential sighting & field of view obstacles.  That's why my personal guns have had the hacksaw treatment.  Since I have a RIS or an M4 RAS of one sort or another on these guns, I use our MWS Folding Front Sight out on the end of the top rails.  I lose a litle iron sight radius thusly, but this is my back-up mode.  My Aimpoint on one, and my Elcan on the other are the primaries.  ANd with 56 year old eyes with a major stigmatism in my master eye, I need all the help I can get.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Coldblue, you're a wealth of knowledge.  My question is how do you know the RAS II is aligned properly?  I noticed I could wiggle front end  left or right a little.  Does the hump and the way it's attached to the flat top ensure the RAS II is always pointing true forward?  Also just a thought: the RAS II was easy to install once I figured out how it was supposed to go in, but the manual could use a few more illustrations for those doing it for the first time
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Wes.  Note that in the instructions I was pretty specific about when one of the two rear screws/bolts were to be "hand tight" versus later "fully tightened".
I think you may have initally overtightened the top clamp screw, before the rear cross bolt had a chance to "center things".  Then you tighten the top screw.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, I did have it installed properly the first time around, I used the wrong description for the front "wiggle".  Wes you're right there's only one way to put it on (at first I tried the wrong way and it wouldn't work )
BTW Coldblue is that your hand in the manual?  I see a Rolex Oyster band on his wrist lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Yea, that's me.
I have about a hundred and one jobs here, and every day a few new ones are handed to me.
So I'm the writter for the instructions, photographer, and thanks to the camera's 10-second timer, usually the "hands" as well.
If you have see our catalog, that's mine too.  That's why I need help here, as my real job is VP Military & Federal Operations & Support.  However, there is no one else to do the whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be done.
I could use two good assistants.  Ideally ones that know the difference between a Company and a Brigade, the difference between "Delta Company" and "Delta", an M249 from a M240, etc.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Do Knights pay well??  I would apply for that assistant job, beisdes I can bring IT knowledge to your company.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah it occured to me too, but I like running my own IT company and for the time being don't wanna move to FL.  I bet my hands are nicer than yours SMG
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!!!!!!!!
Dang I wish they would come up with one of these alphabet attachmenys like the RAS for the 20" barrel rifles.
cp
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Eagle, why of course you can, just get the M5 RAS  And get it from Wes, MSTN rocks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Coldblue, where do I send my application, heck, I'm already in FL!!! Will it count against me if I own a SIR?! I really want a RAS II for another M4 though
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
You may qualify for employment at KAC, here's my addy, upon receiving your SIR I'll sign your certification
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Will work for Ammo and Range time :)
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Please fax to Harlin Davis: (321) 268-1498.
Voice is (321) 268-1490.
This is our new Titusville, Florida location where we are expanding and moving to in 2003.  (its the old Tomohawk missile plant--a huge complex almost on the Cape)
I am here in Vero Beach (old & present location) fax is (772) 569-2955.  So if you want to fax it to me first, I can forward it to Harlin.
You are welcome with your SIR.  I have one as well, its next to my desk mounted on an SR-16M4E3 (our full auto LE model).
Thank you for your response,
Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top