Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 7:17:35 PM EDT
I've recently run across a couple of threads discussing the merits of thinner NM type front sight posts for carbines.  The thinner front posts return the rifle the a true 20" sight picture.

My main problem with my carbines at longer range (50+) is that the front sight post is larger than the target I'm shooting at.  I can consistently hit IDPA sized targets at 100 yards with my current stock 16" irons, but would like more precision.

What do the 16" shooters think about these thinner front sight posts?

- Too thin to pick up in CQB, and that's what the carbine's for, so deal with the compromise at 100+ yards.

- The 20" sight picture is perfect (what's the MOA on the front sight at 100 yards?) and fixes the carbine irons.  Works great for CQB too.

What are your thoughts on this?  I'll probably try to order up a thinner front sight post next week to compare them, but can you suggest a thickness and manufacturer?

TIA

EDITED for typos.  Hope I got most of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
For CQB work, I would actually reccomend something bigger, like the Ashley Outdoor high visable Big Dot sights. Much quicker to pick up and acquire for fast paced CQB shooting.

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto to new-arguy
A friend of mine with a M4A1 - using AO Big Dot tritium front

Sorry about the large pic but it wa the only way to blow up the fornt sight to see.  
- I cant crop or anything like that cuz I'm Dumb

editted - to add I must be really dumb cause I could not get the big pic to link
here you can see it in this one

Link Posted: 9/24/2002 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I put the DPMS .050" diameter front post on mine. It is so thin I'm afraid it might bend or break if I snagged it on a branch. I'm thinking about going back to the issue post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top