Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2002 9:09:56 AM EDT
Anybody here chop a carring handle off their A2 or A1? Post some pictures.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Kurst Kustom Firearms (KKF) does this for people. KKF has his own section in the Industry forum, and Kurt is an awesome gunsmith and a great guy. Phenominal work, very reasonable prices and good turnaround.

I have seen pics of his cut down carry handles before, and was looking for them now, but couldnt find any. If I run accross it, I will post it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is another company that will chop down your carry handle for you... SSK Industries
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Before the ARMS #40 came out, I got really drunk one night and chopped mine with a Dremel tool.  It worked, but it still had a few jagged edges.  Luckily, when I sobered up, I took it to a guy who worked in my factory's machine shop and he cleaned it up real nice.  However, now that there are alternatives out there (like the ARMS#40 and other sights), I wouldn't think of chopping up a carry handle.

Here's a pretty bad picture from my old web site:
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#4]
mikepenn33, check your IM.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one of the SSK conversions on an SP1 upper with a 30MM Ultradot. The iron sights are in the lower third of the scope. I wanted the lightest, most simple rig possible. Doesn't need any risers, add on iron sights, etc. The rest is a Colt M-4 bbl and a registered receiver select-fire SP1 lower.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I am terrible at hands on/ fixing things but I was able to chop my handle with a hacksaw and then use the Dremel to polish the edges.  Then took Birchwood Casey aluminum black to refinsh it.  Turned out pretty well.  Took it to a 500 round carbine class and it held zero just fine with the one bolt holding it on.  When using an Aimpoint I just hold my head a little higher to see over the sight and still have a good check weld.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Could someone fill me in on why you would want to chop the carry handle off your upper?  What do you gain over just using a flat-top with a separate rear site?  

Also, once you chop your handle, how do you mount a site to your upper, like in SJSAMPLE's picture?  Unless we're taking about chopping up a detachable handle, I don't see how it ccan be done.  And , if that is a detachable handle, why not just use a detachable rear site instead?

Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Could someone fill me in on why you would want to chop the carry handle off your upper?  What do you gain over just using a flat-top with a separate rear site?  

Also, once you chop your handle, how do you mount a site to your upper, like in SJSAMPLE's picture?  

With the rear sight part of the upper there is no danger of it ever coming off.  Also, the fixed rear sight has a greater rnage of elevation adjustment.

Mark Brown Custom makes a rail that is designed to be attached to the upper in place of the carry handle.  You can also attach any other scope rail that you choose to install.

Link Posted: 9/7/2002 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Also, once you chop your handle, how do you mount a site to your upper, like in SJSAMPLE's picture?  Unless we're taking about chopping up a detachable handle, I don't see how it ccan be done.  And , if that is a detachable handle, why not just use a detachable rear site instead?

Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion.

You are correct, I cut a detachable carry handle to make a backup iron sight for my Trijicon Reflex.  This setup won't work with my ACOG or some other scopes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's the chopped carry handle on my personal rifle...

and...

One thumbscrew on/off so it's quick change to my PVS14 NVD and returns to zero every time.  I'm a believer in KISS so the elegance of simplicity appeals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with not chopping off a fixed carry handle.  I chopped my detachable.  Got the idea off the Maryland AR site. You have a carry handle you don't need so you can save some $ by cutting down and using the sight you already have.  As I said, it holds zero well.

Arock that is a great looking weapon.  Are those single or double lined M4 handguards and how do you like them?  How do you have your forward pistol grip attached?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are those single or double lined M4 handguards and how do you like them?  How do you have your forward pistol grip attached?

Handguards are double-lined Colts.  I'm used to them so I like them fine.  They stay cooler longer than single-lined and the smoother surface on Colt handguards grows on you.

The pistol grip came from the 2001 LEGP deal.  It bolts directly to the lower handguard with no modification.  I've found the front pistol grip less useful than I expected.  If I was doing room-clearing it would be OK.  It does improve my point shooting technique.  I don't find use for it on targets past 15 yards.  It will come off on the next tear-down.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Strela, just curious.  How does SSK attach the picatinny rail to the upper receiver?

Is it permanent &/or rock solid???
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The DPMS Tri-Mount upper is made from a standard carry handle upper that is cut off.
I don't think they sell the Tri_mount separatley.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top