Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2002 9:47:59 PM EDT
I am looking for the older type A1 upper (NOT the new ones with brass deflectors). I followed every firearm link and came up empty handed. I am also looking for new condition A1 buttstocks and pistol grips. Fulton Armory is advertising them, but they are sold out. Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you loking for new, or used?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
With or without forward assist?  Small pivot pin or large?  I have one of each with forward assist.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Bushmaster's website as they advertise A1 uppers. As noted you didn't elaborate on large or small pivot pin holes though.  I picked up a like new A1 Colt upper receiver for $200.00. I have an A1 upper with a large pivot pin hole available but it is barreled with a lightweight CAR length barrel. It doesn't have a brass deflector.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there a source for a1 slabside uppers? [:\]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok Guys lets get some nomenclature correct first so we're all on the same page:

A1 upper - This is the type used by the M16A1 with the windage only rear sights, forward assist, and NO brass deflector

C7 Upper (also Sold By Bushmaster as an 'A1' upper).  This is not a true A1 upper - as it incorporates a brass deflector.  Bushmaster calls it 'A1' even though its really a C7 upper (Canadian rifle designation for an upper with windage only sights and brass deflector).  This upper has the forward assist.

M16 upper (or SP1 Upper) This is the orginal type upper used on M16s, and on Colt SP1s into the 1980s.  It had the windage only rear sights, NO forwards assist, and No brass deflector.

Bushmaster is supposed to makeing more C7 type uppers later this year (I hear they are out now).  Olympic Arms may have some cast C7 type uppers (they use them on the 'Plinker' you could check with them.

A1 & SP1 type uppers can be found on the used marked (check the equipment exchange).  Nobody makes them anymore and the last of the military suplus ones I've heard about were alll sold pre-Y2K.  You could also look for suplus/used upper assemblies (with barrels), keep the upper and sell the barrel.  SARCO used to have surplus A1 parts kits & uppers - which would have the A1 upper you are looking for- check with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought I heard DPMS made a run of C7 and also slabside (no FA or BD)....anyone know for sure?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells is advertising a DPMS "A1" upper, but in fact it is a C-7 upper; the photo in their catalog is wrong...I contacted them both and DPMS denies ever manufacturing the slab sides...
Anyway I am building a faux older M16; I will configure it either as an early model or an A1, depending on the parts I can find (but preferably small-hole upper)...Thanks for all your help guys!
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
A little off topic, but does anybody know if the C7 typer upper or any variation of the A1 style upper (slabside, FA or FA/BD) have the windage hash marks?  

TIA....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
A1 upper with forward assist

Thought some of you would be interested..
Im looking for a slabside
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A1 upper with forward assist

Thought some of you would be interested..
Im looking for a slabside

I have an SP1 that I just rebuilt in the M4 type we have at work, A1 upper, no brass deflector, forward assist.

You have said you are looking for a slabside, of course you are talking about the lower right? My lower is an SP1 slabside.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
The M16 upper is slabsided as far as it's devoid of thingies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I guess a lower could be called a slab-side, if you mean the raised rails around the mag button...but we were talking uppers here, and in that context slabside means without forward assist or shell deflector...
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a correct 1967/68 A1 upper.  No forward assist or shell deflector.  Pencil barrel chromed with 3 prong vortex.  Handguards are triangular with that hard black shine and a few bubbles that were common in the plastic of that vintage.
www.bluemountainsports.org

Let me know if interested or want a pic.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]
i have an A1 pistol grip, an A1 trapdoor stock, and an early m16/SP1 stock with no trapdoor and a swivel type sling mount. IF interested ,[email protected]...
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a slabside Colt SP1 upper which does NOT have either the forward assist or the brass deflector bump.  It has a semi-permanently installed adapter bushing (it can be removed without damage, it's just loctited in)installed in the front takedown pin hole for use with standard push pins.    It's in very good shape, with original finish.

This sounds like what you're looking for, or pretty close, anyway.  If you want to build up a "vietnam look" early model rifle, this is the thing.

I'll trade even for an A2 upper in good shape.

I will also throw in a set of A1 triangular handguards (the right one has a crack in it near the front edge but it's not bad) and an A1  buttstock with the semi-smooth, rounded edge buttplate, but it does have a trapdoor in it. That should be a later type A1 stock.  It's close...but the stock and guards are not new. They are used but in pretty good condition.

My A1 upper is currently installed on a good shooting rifle.  So don't take the offer if you're not serious.  I don't want to tear down the upper and end up having to put it back together.

Both my A1 and your A2 upper will be complete, that is, including sights, ejection port cover, etc.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the upper you are looking for, and will probably be putting it up for sale next week (need to function check the one I am getting first). Marked PM, has round FA, no deflector, and comes with a 11.5/5.5 SS LW barrel. LMK if you're interested.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top