Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 11:28:30 PM EDT
I have a post ban Bushy and my buddy does too.  He just bought a new smaller fixed stock, that is actually designed for smaller people etc...  I believe he said its 4" smaller than the standard stock.

The kit he bought from Bushmaster comes with a new buffer and spring (and I'm assuming a shorter tube that contains the buffer and spring to accomodate the shorter sized stock.

My question is this.  I know how to remove the buttstock (unscrew the two screws at the butt plate), then pull off the plastic stock leaving the long tube (sorry, I don't know the correct terminology).   After removing the stock, how does one remove that long tube that is attached to the lower receiver, which contains the longer buffer and recoil spring???

Does it simply twist off by unscrewing it with a stong pair of hands???  Or do I need some special tool(s)?

If it does "unscrew", is it the traditional "righty tighty-lefty loosie" type threads???

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#1]
"Does it simply twist off by unscrewing it with a stong pair of hands??? Or do I need some special tool(s)?"

"If it does "unscrew", is it the traditional "righty tighty-lefty loosie" type threads???"

yes, and yes.

BUT, when i unscrewed it, i had to use a wrench on the tube. Don't forget to use a wrench that fits the squared off end (back at the screw end) and NOT a pair of channel locks or vise grips, they WILL mess up your tube.

bill

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
First go to old.ar15.com/books and download the -23&P - it has complete directions on how to remove and replace the buttstock (complete with tool list and pictures).  You do not need to remove the lower screw on the buttplate - only the upper one.

I do recommend using the USGI tool to remove (and install) the receiver extension.

You will also need some moly-disulfide grease (without graphite) to put on the threads of the new receiver extension.  Trust me and use it (per the manual) if you don't and you ever want to change the stock again you WILL have problems (been there - done that).

I'll also recommend some LocTite for the upper screw.  BTW make sure he has the proper upper screw.  The one that comes with the standard A2 stock is TOO long - either cut it down by 5/8" or order a A1 upper buttstock screw from Fulton-Armory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top