Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2002 1:08:34 PM EDT
I'm somewhat new to the AR-15.  I'm considering an Oly Arms FAR-15 featherweight.  It will be used for plinking, varmints and personal defense.  I chose this one for its light weight and ability to accept OEM parts should I want to make any changes or upgrades.  From what I've read so  far, Oly Arms offers a quality product at a decent price.  Any advice from the pro's?  What about the forged aluminum upper and lower?  Good, bad or indifferent?  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:I'd also insist on a chrome lined barrel and I don't think the Oly FAR-15 offers that.quote]

Care to share with us why you would "insist" on chrome lining?

And also you intimated in another post that barrel life is extended by having a chrome lined bore. Do you have any documented proof to substantiate this? Or are you just repeating what you have been told by others...?
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:I'd also insist on a chrome lined barrel and I don't think the Oly FAR-15 offers that.quote]

Care to share with us why you would "insist" on chrome lining?

And also you intimated in another post that barrel life is extended by having a chrome lined bore. Do you have any documented proof to substantiate this? Or are you just repeating what you have been told by others...?

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies  Do a search on google for chromelined barrels it'll give you all the proof your looking for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I personaly think an ultra light AR is a good thing.

I have an Oly SGW preban lower on which I put a 16" flattop CAR type upper with a pencil thin barrel on it. It has a CAR telestock and all together it is less than 6 lbs. It is my favorite rifle for carrying and even my 12 year old daughter likes to shoot it.

Oly has a lifetime warranty which is nice. I think you are on the right track. I would pick the FAR is I hadn't already made my own.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If given the choise, I would take the chrome lined barrel over a non chromed.  But, if you want a LW AR15 Oly is the only manufacturer to offer one as a complete rifle.  And the way M4 has his post ban M4 decked out total cost is way over the $800 Texan wants to spend.  If you need a budget priced AR Oly is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 And the way M4 has his post ban M4 decked out total cost is way over the $800 Texan wants to spend.  If you need a budget priced AR Oly is the way to go.

Impact Guns.com
Bushmaster AR15 16" A3 Flat Top Carbine - $749.00

Bushmaster AR15 16" A2 Carbine - $709.99

Bushmaster M4 Carbine W/Mini Y-COMP A2 - $799.00

AIM -888-748-5252

Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty AK Rifle - $729.95

These are just a few. Bushmasters are frequently available for less than $800.00. The only mod I suggested was the ACE stock, and that is obviously optional.

Juggernaut....
The first sentence in your previous post seems to indicate the Bushmasters don't   come chrome lined. I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but for the new I guy, I'll post this straight from Bushmasters web page...

Bushmaster's Chrome Lined M16/AR15 Barrel Assemblies... are, without question, the finest AR15/M16 type barrels made - all our barrels are machined from Chrome-Moly Vanadium steel - hardened to Rockwell C26 to 33 - and are hard chrome lined to U. S. Gov't. Military Specification to offer complete corrosion resistance in the bore and chamber. Chrome is more than twice as hard as barrel steel and will effectively double your barrel life. The lubricity (slipperiness) of chrome reduces friction, increases velocity, aids in chambering and ejection, offers superior barrel life and makes the barrel easier to clean.

Link Posted: 8/26/2002 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the input.  I truly appreciate ya'll taking the time to reply.  Your info on the chrome-lined bbl issue is strong.  Thanks...

One question: Monkeyman mentioned a lifetime warranty from Oly and I can't seem to find a warranty statement on Bushmaster's website.  Does anyone have a bead on their warranty policy?
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input.  I truly appreciate ya'll taking the time to reply.  Your info on the chrome-lined bbl issue is strong.  Thanks...

One question: Monkeyman mentioned a lifetime warranty from Oly and I can't seem to find a warranty statement on Bushmaster's website.  Does anyone have a bead on their warranty policy?

I lived in Oregon for 6 years...the finest state I've ever lived in....and there's quite a few of them.

Glad to help someone living in my version of paradise!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to buy a FAR-15. It will probably be my next AR purchase. DPMS has a supposedly lightweight AR, but it's not as light as the FAR-15. I don't think it really matters what your first AR is, because it won't be the only one

The only problems I've heard about Oly's, that I believe, are tight magwells. I think they have worked those problems out, but I'm not positive. Everyone has an opinion on what's "best." I think the only real talk I'll pay attention to about brands is "don't buy Hesse." :)

You can usually tell when someone's just badmouthing a brand, or if they know what they are talking about. Listen to everyone, but make your own choice.

I'm no expert. I have 3 AR's, and have only shot the Colt. I had an Olympic Arms pre-ban that I sold before I shot it. The person who bought it said it runs perfect. Good luck on whatever you decide, and if you get the FAR-15 before I do, let us know how it works. If I get mine first, I'll do the same :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Chrome lining, being twice as hard as the 4150 steel used by Bushmaster, effectively doubles the useful barrel life of an AR15.

I would be VERY cautious with the general statement that chrome "doubles" barrel life.

20-50%+, double would be VERY unlikely.  Really depends on how you use your firearm.

mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
BM M4: $799 @ Impact Guns is a very good price,
however that would'nt be the end cost to the consumer unless you have your own FFL.  Add on shipping, sales tax, and what your local dealer wants to add on and your over the $800.   Maybe the FAR-15 is in that price range, I dont know.  However, I would call Oly and see if they will be at a local gunshow close to where you are located or drive up to one of the WAC shows and get one directly from Oly. I picked up one of their PCRs at the Oly booth at a Spokane, Wa gunshow last year for $650 including WA state sales tax.  Not a Colt or BM but a decent serviceable rifle at a good price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top