Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 2:30:00 PM EDT
I'm considering making a run of Non NFA Colt XM177E2 carbine kits and wanted to guage  possible interest before I invest in the project.

The kit will include the following and will be available in a Preban model:

1.) Colt A1 FWD assist upper with 12.5" barrel(No Bayonet Lug) and a permanently attached exact copy of the Colt 4.5" moderator non NFA)
2.) Colt A1 pistol grip
3.) Exact Copy of the Colt Vinyl Acetate Covered Aluminum Stock made by the original Colt contractor.

Projected cost for the complete Kit will be in the $850-900 range. Depending on volume, I hope to significantly reduce the price and I plan to offer a dicount for  AR15.COM Members.

Let me know how much interest there is and I'll consider making a run.

Thanks

-Colt-653
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested in a kit like this.  If you don't do the whole thing, I'd be interested in parts.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm still trying to decide if I want to invest time and money into making the kits. I have some XM177/M16A1 carbine parts listed on the EE for those interested.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I would be interrested in all except the coll. stock portion.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be interested in a Colt heavy under guards 11" barrel pre ban with an original F/H for my SBR

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
DROOL...DROOL... YEAH BABY! SLOBBER...SLOBBER.
Life is full of things I don't really need!
 BUT!....Can I have another??
                            loose-round
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt-653 You didn't use to post on subguns as Wa tom did you?
He was making the same parts.
I bought some short triangle handguards from him a couple of years ago and bulit a  semi auto colt.My damn car broke down and i sold it
I used one of the slip over flash hiders to make it look like a 11.5. and turned the flashhider part off to make it look the the supressor.
the  collpasable solid stock was a bit pricey for me at the time and i just got one of the shorty soild stocks to make it look good.
Anyway to end my ramblings yes i would be interested too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I think WA Tom is still around.  His outfit(I think it is called "Total Silence") is top notch.  I bought a replica XM177E2 FH and washer from  him.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm not WA Tom of Total Silence, Inc. I'm just a collector of Colt based carbines.

I'll keep everyone here up to date on the status of the XM177 project. I'm in the process of buying a home and I've just moved so it's taking a back burner at this time. I should know by early October if the project is a go. I will post pictures as soon as I get my membership dues in and have the ability to post photos here on the board.

Thanks for the interest
-Colt-653
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a related question.  Did any XM177E2s ever have fiberite stocks instead of aluminum stocks?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Still curious about the XM177E2 telestocks and if they were ever made in fiberite.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I think only rifles with replaced stocks would be fiberite. I've seen alot of 653's in service with the IDF, and most have fiberite stocks. I believe most if not all were issued with coated aluminum. FYI, there are a couple of "original" Colt two position coated stocks on e-Bay for around $200 each (I think).
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#12]
As for the plastic stocks on XM-177 types, its possible with the US Air Force. They have allot of weird rebuilds. Saw a Gau-5 (Air Force for XM-177) in use by a Air Force SP in 96; They also have allot of XM-177/Colt 653 types with just a M4 barrel for a barrel replacement. The Air Force weather guys in my unit have weird M4s. Brand new complete uppers with A2 sights. The lowers are old GAU-5, one of them is an old M-16 with no mag fence. The use the new style M4 stocks on the old 2 position buffer tubes.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Stottman is correct in regards to the GAU-5's. The USAF has the most variations of the M16 carbine,except maybe NSW. I've seen everything from old  10.5" XM177E1s without foward assist to brand new M4A1s.  Most of the older GAU-5/XM177E2s get rebuilt with new parts, usually a new 14.5" M4 barrel and a new Colt fiberlite stock.

With the exception of a few NG SF(19th) units, the USAF is the only branch of the service that ever bought 16" Colt barrels as replacement parts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I will have 4 small hole kits available in 2-3 weeks for those interested. I'll post pics here as soon as the kits are done.

Please e-mail if interested or if you have questions.
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be VERY interested in a complete upper in that configuration. I have been looking at having the same basic thing done through KKF, but this would be easier.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Kit's should be in 1st part of next week. I'll post photos asap.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Who's making the barrels? Are they cut down Colt's or aftermarket? What's the latest price on the kits?  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#18]

One of these would look awesome on my SP1 Carbine lower...

Any word on these?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had a problem with some threading done on some of the barrels and I'm just waiting to get them back from the company that I bought them from. I'll post the kits in the EE as soon as I have all the parts assembled.

I'll keep everyone one up to date and I'll post Pics ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#20]
There were less than 600 XM177E2 submachine guns built.  All in 1968 and all with the rubber covered aluminum 2-position stock.  These were almost all abandoned in RVN (technically transferred to ARVN, same thing), although several must have made it home.

I'm sure Colt's produced commercial versions in larger quantities.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Colt-653, Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#22]
PICS ???????
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd be interested in a stock......please lemme know!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]

I take it things are kinda busy right now, Colt-653 [:)]
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry guys.  Things have been kind of in a state of flux for me lately.  I should have the barrels back from the shop this week and I'll try and get photos up ASAP.

Thanks

-Colt-653

Link Posted: 1/27/2003 4:18:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Let me welcome all of you to the "Ersatz XM Club" [:D].  Had mine now for about 23 years.

Built it on an SP1 carbine in 1979. Therw was a parts house in Texas (no longer there) that was selling replica suppressors, but when it came in, it was the early type, like Bushmaster still shows. The key tho was that they did include the washer. I turned down the shank, and lengthened it, put a sleeve over the shank to bring it up to E2 diameter, and cut the wrench flats. Had the barrel cut back, attached the suppressor, and been a happy camper ever since.  Finally put an A1 typr upper w/ forward assist on it just 6 months ago.

You know, there's something about the 177E2 that makes it feel better in my hands than any other AR. I know the original 16" barrel gives better ballistics, and I've got an M4gery w/all the bells and whistles---but the XM just feels more natural in my hands.  Maybe it's the slight extra weight of the flash suppressor at the front?????

Anyway, I wish you guys good luck w/the project. Maybe I'll catch one of y'all at the range some day. That'd be a first; two XM177E2 clones on the range at the same time [:D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I am interested as long as I could have my choice to leave the fake sup. loose fo rmy SBR lower
Link Posted: 1/27/2003 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Finally put an A1 typr upper w/ forward assist on it just 6 months ago.

You know, there's something about the 177E2 that makes it feel better in my hands than any other AR. I know the original 16" barrel gives better ballistics, and I've got an M4gery w/all the bells and whistles---but the XM just feels more natural in my hands.  Maybe it's the slight extra weight of the flash suppressor at the front?????

Anyway, I wish you guys good luck w/the project. Maybe I'll catch one of y'all at the range some day. That'd be a first; two XM177E2 clones on the range at the same time [:D]
View Quote

I know how you feel; I had my SP1 Carbine rebarreled by BM to be a 11.5/5.5 just so I could get "close" to the look...alas, they only offer 11.5 in HBAR setup. I have an M4gery as well, mostly tricked out, but I still come back to the SP1.

Actually, if I had the option, I'd opt that it be in original Air Force GAU-5 config; no forward assist, no deflector. But, that's just me [:)] I'll take it however I can get it [:)]
Link Posted: 1/30/2003 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a copy of the original Rock Island Arsenal prepared, "Preliminary Operation and Maintenance Manual,Operation, Maintainance,Repair and Replacemant Parts; SUBMACHINE GUN,5.56MM, XM177E2;   July 1967;

DRAFT COPY

It's a short thing; 24 pages, and the pics aren't the best quality---but if any of you are interested in having me make up Xerox's so you can have the original info on the 177E2, let me know. If enough of you want it, to justify my spending an afternoon at Kinkos, I'll be happy to do it.  Not trying to make a living out of it. Just enough to cover costs, postage and a couple of hours time[:D].  Don't know exactly what it'll come to. I'd guess $4-$5.

I've had the thing for over 20 years, and for all I know you can get 'em at gun shows for a dolllar ninety eight. If you can, ignore this[:D]. If not, and you want one, get back to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Update:

BBLs are in and I'll  have  the final price and pics up this weekend. Please e-mail if you guys have questions.

Thanks

-Colt-653
Link Posted: 2/22/2003 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Colt-653, could you help me in finding an, M4 stock (the 4 position, not the new 6 position) for my M4 project?  I like the Fiber Style not the new "ribbed" model.  As you know the original mfg of the 2 position aluminum stocks, you might be able to point my in the direction of who makes the 4 position fiber stock for Colt. You can e-mail me at [email protected]  
Thanks, Kenny
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Prices & Pics?????
Link Posted: 2/27/2003 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's a photo of the kit:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7821[/img]

Price is set at $895+shipping. The 1st four kits I have are NFA only as the barrels were cut to 11.5" instead of 12.5". All parts are brand new unfired Colt except the barrels which were made by Bushmaster.

The Aluminum stock is Vinyl Acetate covered and is made by the same contractor Colt used back from 1965-1985. The only difference is the buffer tube has 4 positions and the locking ring is the newer castle nut style.

I'll post a complete ad in the EE for those who are interested

Link Posted: 3/12/2003 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#34]
BTT- I have 2 complete kits and just had two complete Upper assemblies built for those who are interested
Link Posted: 3/29/2003 5:51:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I received my upper today (3/29).

I have to say, it's one of the sexiest things I've ever seen.

In fact, it currently shares the #1 "sexiest thing I've ever seen" slot with [url=http://us.imdb.com/Name?Jovovich,%20Milla]Milla Jovovich[/url] (if you have no idea who I'm talking about, go watch [url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0120804]Resident Evil[/url]...it's worth it) She was born 4 days before me, how about that [;)]

Once my car gets out of the shop today (5k mile maintaince time), I'm going to take it to the range with a couple other things and see how well she shoots [:)]

Thanks, Colt! The upper is awesome, and I think, worth every penny. Thanks for your time and effort in making these!

Evil(happy)_(camper)Ed
Link Posted: 3/29/2003 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Darnit Colt-653!  Just when I thought I didn't need to purchase anything else I stumbled across this thread [banghead]

Where are you getting the 4.5" moderators?  Also, what is the availability of the kits?

Thanks!

Marc
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I will have six Non-NFA(16.1" length) kits available in about 2-3 weeks.

I'm running out of New Colt A1 parts so these may be the last of them for a while till I can find more parts.

Check out the EE for details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top