Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2022 5:29:21 PM EDT
If any of you manufacturers want my idea, all I ask is for a free one when it's finished. A silent selector switch. I know how to make mine quiet but it doesn't always work, especially when wearing gloves. I hunt with an AR. It would be fantastic to have a selector that doesn't make a sound and still holds in place well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Paint the hole
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My CMMG ambi is rather weak and quiet. Perhaps shape an extra detent and trim a spring first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My CMMG ambi is rather weak and quiet. Perhaps shape an extra detent and trim a spring first.
View Quote

I’ve tried several different modifications. I can get it quiet, but it’s also unsafe. I can’t get quiet and properly functioning at the same time. Seems like with the thousands of different modifications out there for AR’s something like this would already exist. My googlefoo found nothing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard that the Elftmann push button safety is pretty quiet.

Never tried one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
The selector goes "click" a half second before the gun goes "bang." Is this really that much of a problem? It's not like the movies.

At least that's how I was taught; maybe things are different now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If you flip it slowly it doesn't make a sound but I'm also hard of hearing
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you flip it slowly it doesn't make a sound but I'm also hard of hearing
View Quote

This has been my experience. Turn it slow and ride it hard with the thumb, it doesn't make a click.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried that when it’s 20 degrees and your wearing gloves? Not so easy.

As for the safety off two seconds before the trigger pull, this is hunting not fighting. My safety goes off when I see the animal I plan to shoot. That’s not usually two seconds before my shot. If you move that quick, the deer are faster, they will disappear, unless you want to shoot at a moving target.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As for the safety off two seconds before the trigger pull, this is hunting not fighting. My safety goes off when I see the animal I plan to shoot. That’s not usually two seconds before my shot. If you move that quick, the deer are faster, they will disappear, unless you want to shoot at a moving target.
View Quote

I live in Michigan, so yes, I have manipulated the safety in cold temperatures.

And from what I'm seeing here, you feel that you have a novel idea, but haven't been able to make it work, so you want a manufacturer to finish the research, design, and manufacturing of said idea and then give you one; which you also feel will sell "very well." I can tell you, it's not something I would look for or likely purchase. Would someone buy it? Sure. But I don't know about "sell very well."
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of these might be easier to manipulate. Little dab of grease in the detent channel should help too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of these might be easier to manipulate. Little dab of grease in the detent channel should help too.
View Quote

The RRA "Star" safety is the ticket for what he's trying to do. Plus round off the tip of the detent a little, and some grease in the channel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The RRA "Star" safety is the ticket for what he's trying to do. Plus round off the tip of the detent a little, and some grease in the channel.
View Quote

My favorite selector for glove use.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I have killed alot of deer with an AR and this is a problem that I have never encountered...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]
It seems like the safeties on most older Colts I've handled (especially the Match Target guns) were really smooth with no audible or tactile clicks.

Im not sure what the difference was but assumed they were cast with shallower/less abrupt detent notches.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I have rounded off the tip of the detent. Also deepened and widened the track on the selector for the detent to ride in. Neither were very effective. I tore up three selectors experimenting with a deemed. I know I can get the standard selector to be quiet. It’s just not made to be and it’s difficult to manipulate that way when it’s cold out.
For all the research so many AR companies put into products that don’t do much, I would think one would do something like this. Hey if I can’t get one for free, I’ll buy it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
hey go for it, probably make a million dollars, after all people buy short throw safeties and they're useless too
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I got an idea
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I want a gun that makes that noise from movies every time they pull out a gun. It's not quite a racking noise but it sounds pretty cool to get the point across when a gun is being raised.

But seriously I've never had a problem with a loud safety switch even in the cold. I actually would prefer a more positive audible click but then again I have never had to be super quiet like some hunting guys have.

Well broken in, oil, and slowly activate would probably help.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find it's muffled and even quieter when I do it with gloves on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you tried using a dremel with a cut off wheel and making a short angled trough towards the detent hole? The angle starts off shallow, then goes deeper towards the hole to not give an abrupt drop which is where the click is heard, but a nice easy slide into the detent hole. The sides of the trough would also need to be angled slightly to match the angle of the detent pin also to work correctly.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

The image on RRA's website isn't very descriptive, maybe this will give you a better idea of what they are. They work well with gloves, and in the context of quiet activation, easily allow you to move the selector deliberately and slowly through the range of motion.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The selector goes "click" a half second before the gun goes "bang." Is this really that much of a problem? It's not like the movies.

At least that's how I was taught; maybe things are different now.
View Quote

With a deer under you, absolutely...
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/RRAStarSafety_JPG-2257755.JPG
The image on RRA's website isn't very descriptive, maybe this will give you a better idea of what they are. They work well with gloves, and in the context of quiet activation, easily allow you to move the selector deliberately and slowly through the range of motion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58237/RRAStarSafety_JPG-2257755.JPG

They are my preferred selector and on most of my builds. Actually waiting on a few more currently.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a GD thread.  Mods, c'mon!
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've heard that the Elftmann push button safety is pretty quiet.

Never tried one.
View Quote

It is very quiet. A coworker has one in one of his AR's. Muscle memory just makes me prefer what I've known for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I've found that deer under my stand still won't hear a selector.

As far as selectors go, I've found that the new ones don't have the same detent channels as the older ones, and they're not near as smooth as they used to be.

Milspec parts seem to work best.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#29]
my selector is Hollywood quiet
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
my selector is Hollywood quiet
View Quote

Mine too, that’s the problem.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Both the Vism thumbhole stock and the KP-15 lower allow you to adjust spring tension on the safety.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#32]
But how are you going to make sure your bcg is locked forward without having to move your hand off the grip to engage the forward assist?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And from what I'm seeing here, you feel that you have a novel idea, but haven't been able to make it work, so you want a manufacturer to finish the research, design, and manufacturing of said idea and then give you one; which you also feel will sell "very well." I can tell you, it's not something I would look for or likely purchase. Would someone buy it? Sure. But I don't know about "sell very well."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a free one too since I went through the effort of commenting in this thread (same amount of effort OP put in)
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Both the Vism thumbhole stock and the KP-15 lower allow you to adjust spring tension on the safety.
View Quote

Clip a coil off the spring for the same effect.

Another option maybe to flip the detent upside down and put a small ball bearing in ontop of the detent so it's:
Ball bearing
Upside down detent
Spring
Grip
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I want a free one too since I went through the effort of commenting in this thread (same amount of effort OP put in)
View Quote

Not really, I thought of it and have tried several different methods. But keep up the jackassery, I’m sure it’ll serve you well some day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Pro-Tip: disassemble your safety selector system, clean thoroughly and de-grease.

Re-assemble using heavy amounts of barrel nut moly grease, then remove all excess grease as much as you can inside and out.

When in use, move selector slowly.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pro-Tip: disassemble your safety selector system, clean thoroughly and de-grease.

Re-assemble using heavy amounts of barrel nut moly grease, then remove all excess grease as much as you can inside and out.

When in use, move selector slowly.

Problem solved.
View Quote

I’ll give that a try.
Thank you
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Meh worked just fine for MACV SOG guys on the ambush line smoking NVA - probably OK for shooting Bambi?
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I’ll give that a try.
Thank you
View Quote

And by system, i mean disassemble the entire thing including the grip, detent, and spring as well as the selector lever itself. Everything on the inside including the holes inside the lower receiver get moly grease. Including the spring hole in the grip. But not the rest if the grip.

Pack grease into every hole and the channels of the selector. Reassemble and don't worry about the grease extruding from the joints as you do so

Treat it as if you were greasing the bearings of a car.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I may be going about this all wrong, but I just run a drill bit down into the selector detent spring hole in the grip about a half-millimeter deeper, to take some of the spring pressure off the detent. If I get it right, the selector is silent on a slow movement, without being unsafe; if i get it too deep, I can drop a BB or ball bearing into the hole to bring the force back.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 2:29:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I may be going about this all wrong, but I just run a drill bit down into the selector detent spring hole in the grip about a half-millimeter deeper, to take some of the spring pressure off the detent. If I get it right, the selector is silent on a slow movement, without being unsafe; if i get it too deep, I can drop a BB or ball bearing into the hole to bring the force back.

HTH
View Quote

Not recommended. Granted, you've made yourself an out by only drilling far enough that the addition of a ball bearing alleviates the issue, but overall, modification if milspec to non milspec is not a good idea.

A great deal of engineering went into figuring out every specification and dimension to obtain optimal performance of every part and account for spring compression, so those are what i consider "critical dimensions" and are not to be modified.

From an armorers and current DoD Ordnance Engineering Technicians point of view. Just sayin'. ??
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Not recommended. Granted, you've made yourself an out by only drilling far enough that the addition of a ball bearing alleviates the issue, but overall, modification if milspec to non milspec is not a good idea.

A great deal of engineering went into figuring out every specification and dimension to obtain optimal performance of every part and account for spring compression, so those are what i consider "critical dimensions" and are not to be modified.

From an armorers and current DoD Ordnance Engineering Technicians point of view. Just sayin'. ??
View Quote

Eh, that dimension was engineered 60 years ago and can stand to be experimented w/.  My concern would be how much plastic is beneath the blind hole and will that ball bearing suddenly fall out w/ the safety detent spring one day?

I'm one to talk, I use a grub screw to set the tension.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top