BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The anodizing on that rail reminds me of the anodizing on some of Larue’s  optic mounts I’ve had. Just handling them can leave them looking like they’ve been bouncing around a parts bin for years.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m kinda disappointed in your post honestly.
It’s not like you to jump on a company because of one bad experience, especially before even contacting them first to give them a chance to resolve it. You make the statement above after slamming them because you had one bad experience personally?
Just because they may have had a bad run is not a reason to run to ARFCOM like some shitty troll and bash them. That’s not like you Molon, at least not like I have read over the last decade or so. ….

Just chill man and call them Monday, sorry you got your feelings hurt here but damn man, at least give them a chance…..

Oh look, the UPS girl just dropped off my new MK4….. Wow! Look, no anodizing issues…. amazing!
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4585/FlcByN.jpg
Relax man have a beer.

Cp
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe just buy triggers from a trigger company?

I've spent thousands of dollars on their triggers, scope mounts and handguards; but it looks like you're right.

It’s not like you to jump on a company because of one bad experience, especially before even contacting them first to give them a chance to resolve it. You make the statement above after slamming them because you had one bad experience personally?
Just because they may have had a bad run is not a reason to run to ARFCOM like some shitty troll and bash them. That’s not like you Molon, at least not like I have read over the last decade or so. ….

Just chill man and call them Monday, sorry you got your feelings hurt here but damn man, at least give them a chance…..

Oh look, the UPS girl just dropped off my new MK4….. Wow! Look, no anodizing issues…. amazing!
Relax man have a beer.

Cp

He's one of many having this problem with Geissele putting out crappy products.  They've gotten too big, too fast and it's showing...horribly
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Relax man have a beer.

Cp
View Quote

If you've been paying attention, this is typical Molon behavior.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree Molon, the anodizing looks chalky.

Can someone explain the URG-I debacle? Is it the bent rail,  from dropping the rifle with a MAWL attached, posted in the URG-I thread?
I’m happy with the complete URG-I upper, with DD barrel, I purchased at launch.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It’s not like you to jump on a company because of one bad experience, especially before even contacting them first to give them a chance to resolve it.
View Quote

I don't see how multiple people could have missed something like this.  To me, that means that they're intentionally sending them out the door like this.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All of my BCM handguards have been properly anodized.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/bcm_14_5_elw_001_resized_08-1253427b-1856118.jpg

View Quote

To be fair, I had a KMR-A several years back that had a finish exactly like this Geissele, however it did "normalize" over time.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The anodizing on that rail reminds me of the anodizing on some of Larue’s  optic mounts I’ve had. Just handling them can leave them looking like they’ve been bouncing around a parts bin for years.
View Quote

The anodizing on my LaRue handguards and scope mounts looks 1000 times better than the anodizing on this Geissele handguard.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve owned over a dozen Larue mounts and have never seen anything close to this. They are smooth as can be and consistent.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I’ve owned over a dozen Larue mounts and have never seen anything close to this. They are smooth as can be and consistent.

View Quote

Same. LaRue has been nothing short of outstanding to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad Molon brought the attention to this, the 14 was my first G rail and I had thought that the finish was always like that on their free floats

I paid slightly over $200 for it, not a counterfeit as my box had the same markings as Molon's published one and it came straight from Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Do we also want to throw out that anodizing colors don’t vary on the same type of material that much unless they’re not measuring the dye?

I’ve seen DDC that was brown, I’ve seen DDC that’s looks like outright gold plating. Yet I have a BCM made Cloud rail and BCM MCMR in FDE that are an exact match made two years apart.

Remember how Bushmaster used to have purple receivers and no one else had that problem? Same shit all related to poor quality control. Whoever does G’s anodizing is trash.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Symptoms of being spread too thin I suspect. The amount of water people carry for this brand amazes me. A quality brand should not be reducing quality to keep costs the same, they should raise costs to keep quality the same.
Geissele CS is very good though, credit where it's due.

I could imagine that the transition from expensive high quality processes to processes gauged toward high production efficiency has resulted in upper level management that micro manages the lower departments and impedes their abilities to produce a quality product. When upper level management is too involved with the shop floor it produces weak lower management, weak crews and a weaker product. Obviously presumption but all of these changes in quality can be traced back to the point that they started producing MK16s for the military and then they did everything in their power to cover up the MK16s inherent flaws just before a massive expansion into the super duty and all of the other misc crap they decided was more important than upholding or improving their brands quality. Ever since then, and in my opinion, Geissele has been going steadily downhill..
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the look of my Luna Black

never mind that green barrel though, that freaks me out  

got one of the DDC rails with the line down the side, didn't care for it, but.....
got a ODG federal with the new insert, surprised me

Got a few KAC 3.1's with that same chalky issue, don't like it either,
I'll avoid Geissele till they figure it out I guess
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Geissele has gone down the fucking toilet recently…. The amount of people here that defend rails with the strength of wet noodles, rusty barrels, and horrible communication is ridiculous.

Old geissele products were perfect. My 416 SMR was excellent, and each trigger I’ve gotten has been nice. These days, it seems like few of their recent offerings carry water.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the look of my Luna Black

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1286/D53075FF-9980-4536-B681-AE96A3C66973-2166552.jpg

never mind that green barrel though, that freaks me out  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1286/20943934-BC01-40D9-A0A4-7B9C4D122DCC-1784397.jpg

got one of the DDC rails with the line down the side, didn't care for it, but.....
got a ODG federal with the new insert, surprised me

Got a few KAC 3.1's with that same chalky issue, don't like it either,
I'll avoid Geissele till they figure it out I guess
View Quote
Green barrel? I know some rabid ODG AR guys that would love that
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The anodizing on my LaRue handguards and scope mounts looks 1000 times better than the anodizing on this Geissele handguard.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/lothar_walther_barrel_free_floated_05-12-1342446.jpg

View Quote

Quoted:

I've owned over a dozen Larue mounts and have never seen anything close to this. They are smooth as can be and consistent.

View Quote

Gotcha. Some of my rings have that dry, rougher anodizing that turn white when you touch them from skin, while others are really smooth. They aren't anywhere near as bad as that G rail, but similar in feel and I'm the way they turn white from being touched. I'm just going off the little image a I could see if the g rail, I'm sure it's probably no where close in comparison in person.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BFPU look is in style
View Quote

Maybe I'll smear some white chalk on the upper and lower receivers of the build that this rail was going to go on and start a new trend!

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Geissele has gone down the fucking toilet recently. The amount of people here that defend rails with the strength of wet noodles, rusty barrels, and horrible communication is ridiculous.

Old geissele products were perfect. My 416 SMR was excellent, and each trigger I've gotten has been nice. These days, it seems like few of their recent offerings carry water.

View Quote
Don't forget their completely superfluous foray into glass with a LPVO that no one asked for.

I have plenty of G stuff and what they do well, they do really well. But they've spread themselves too thin trying to make everything under the sun, and it appears to be straining the quality of their stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To be fair, I had a KMR-A several years back that had a finish exactly like this Geissele, however it did "normalize" over time.

View Quote

I'm not saying this is normal but all my stuff that was chalky ended up looking and feeling smooth over time.

I don't think a coat of oil will immediately solve it but it should be good to go. ARs that I shoot the most are amazingly smooth and my seldom used ones are a little chalkboard feeling so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Geissele products are all super duper super precision super awesome amazingness.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine the same way
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I experienced the same gritty chalky feeling handguard on a Larue Ultimate upper kit a few years ago.
I assembled it for a friend. He bought it on my rec.
I was suprised especially coming from Larue and the top reviews.
I applied a liberal amount of oil to the upper and it seemed to drink it up.  
After a wipe down it looked much better.
But it was odd.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#23]
One factor not being discussed re: anodizing is the surface prep (e.g. media blasting) prior.  Variations in blast media result in variations in surface finish (smoothness) and therefore variations in the finish post-anodizing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
. . . all of these changes in quality can be traced back to the point that they started producing MK16s for the military and then they did everything in their power to cover up the MK16s inherent flaws just before a massive expansion into the super duty and all of the other misc crap they decided was more important than upholding or improving their brands quality.
View Quote

That's a very sagacious observation.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#25]
it looks like either too high heat in their sealing process with some white nickle acetate build up or contamination either by handling or dissolved solids in their anodizing fluid as well as potential incorrect anodizing resulting in the dye failing to absorb. With the shape of the discoloration, I'd lean towards some one handling the part and getting their skin oils on it. Knowing that the anodizing could potentially be compromised AND the price, I'd send it back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Knowing that the anodizing could potentially be compromised AND the price, I'd send it back.
View Quote
Don't threaten me with spray painting mine if that's the case
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Does the industry forum need a negative feedback only thread?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
it looks like either too high heat in their sealing process with some white nickle acetate build up or contamination either by handling or dissolved solids in their anodizing fluid as well as potential incorrect anodizing resulting in the dye failing to absorb. With the shape of the discoloration, I'd lean towards some one handling the part and getting their skin oils on it. Knowing that the anodizing could potentially be compromised AND the price, I'd send it back.
View Quote

The shape of the white coloring is just where I was touching the handguard.  Wherever you touch it, run your fingers/hand across it is where the white coloring ends up.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does the industry forum need a negative feedback only thread?
View Quote

Nah, no potential for it to ever become weaponized and being used unfairly, eh?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]
The anodizing on my LaRue SAT is similar. Tried wiping it down with oil but it’s rough enough to pull fibers from the rag.

At least it adds a bit of grip?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do we also want to throw out that anodizing colors don’t vary on the same type of material that much unless they’re not measuring the dye?

I’ve seen DDC that was brown, I’ve seen DDC that’s looks like outright gold plating. Yet I have a BCM made Cloud rail and BCM MCMR in FDE that are an exact match made two years apart.

Remember how Bushmaster used to have purple receivers and no one else had that problem? Same shit all related to poor quality control. Whoever does G’s anodizing is trash.
View Quote

PH and all sorts of shit goes wrong with anodizing. It's relatively finicky to be "right." But it ultimately comes down to checking it, adjusting, and staying on top of it. I'm not sure how important that stuff is if you're not interested in the beauty and only in the function though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#32]
The ddc mk16 I just got seems fine and no different than past g handguards. My mcx handguard was like that though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The anodizing on my LaRue SAT is similar. Tried wiping it down with oil but it’s rough enough to pull fibers from the rag.

At least it adds a bit of grip?
View Quote

My LaRue sat has the nice smooth matte finish, but my two demco uppers, and a A2 LMT are all that chalk black.

The demcos came with charging handles in the same chalk.  One of which im currently using, its "shining up/smoothing out" with use.

Though, i have heard that this is result of not doing a heated oil bath?!? I have no idea.

Ohh and my brownells "m4" lowers came in a less severe chalk.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One factor not being discussed re: anodizing is the surface prep (e.g. media blasting) prior.  Variations in blast media result in variations in surface finish (smoothness) and therefore variations in the finish post-anodizing.
View Quote

^^^ this ^^^, Media and pressure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#35]
That anodizing looks like the dry chalkiness of KAC. If you want something with a nice finish go with Noveske, LMT, or Radian.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same. LaRue has been nothing short of outstanding to me.
View Quote

I've had chalky LaRue mounts, but it's been a long time since I've had a LaRue mount other than a bipod mount. I've never seen a chalky LaRue rail though.

Chalky is the norm with KAC. Really it has been Geissele that has been good for me, all very smooth rails and scope mounts, but I guess they also put out a chalky rail everyone once in a while. LMTs have been good too, nothing chalky.

I think its either the surface isn't as smooth before the bath, or they leave it in the bath too long, or the voltage is set too high. I personally don't care but I can see why some people do. The chalky/porous type is actually good if you want to spray your parts.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Add this to the list along with the threads about their premium priced receivers with rough machining, trying to charge $22 for a $7 D&H aluminum mag with a geissele floor plate and the $170 nylon sling.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]Yet I have a BCM made Cloud rail and BCM MCMR in FDE that are an exact match made two years apart..
View Quote

Maybe because they’re painted FDE?? Lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I want Super Precision!
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#40]
My MK4 Federal has that feel too. I like the rail and the color but I’m not a fan of the chalky feel. Functionally the rail is great. Just for $350+ it should be finished a lot nicer than a $150 Midwest Industries rail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Other than their triggers, very few things on the planet are more overrated than geiselle shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:50:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
...and the $170 nylon sling.
View Quote

LMAO!

W.C. Fields comes to mind. Every minute of every day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Other than their triggers, very few things on the planet are more overrated than geiselle shit.
View Quote

Did they fix their maritime catches from breaking off because of the wrong heat treatment, yet?
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. At Barrett, we glass beaded the M99 aluminum recievers at around 25-30psi. The surface was glassy smooth after the glass bead blasting. Then it went to be anodized. Came back with a nice even finish. Never had the chalky feel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Add this to the list along with the threads about their premium priced receivers with rough machining, trying to charge $22 for a $7 D&H aluminum mag with a geissele floor plate and the $170 nylon sling.
View Quote

I forgot about those magazines. Then when they caught shit over it, they emailed everyone saying that the listed price was a "mistake" and refunded down to I think $15/each.

Edit to add: I admit I only know about the "apology" email because I was dumb enough to buy some. Still haven't opened them because I am still annoyed with myself over it for drinking the Kool-Aid in a moment of "drop" weakness
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I agree Molon, the anodizing looks chalky.

Can someone explain the URG-I debacle? Is it the bent rail,  from dropping the rifle with a MAWL attached, posted in the URG-I thread?
I’m happy with the complete URG-I upper, with DD barrel, I purchased at launch.
View Quote

@AKSU

Yes. Originally, URG-I's had a DD Mk12 gas block that is too big to fit comfortably under the Mk16 rail. Someone drop tested it with a MAWL attached over the gas block. Turns out if you drop a super slim rail with a chunky gas bock underneath and a 12oz LAM cantilevered off it, bad things happen.

USASOC issues the URG-I with a very slim DD gas block and supposedly isn't having any issues. G$ also modified the inside corners of the pic rail with a radius to remove stress risers and strengthen the rail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Sample is meaningless. Need to buy a ten rail group.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't like some of the ideas they come up with and there entire way of inventory, shipping, payment process, and logistics sucks along with the car sales type feel on products. They don't have the best ano and it scratches Super easy but they offer a great variety in colors.

But when on sale especially the $1500 Super Duty deals they can't be beat.

@molon

I can't tell you to drop the coin on a SD being the hefty price but I think you will be surprised at the testing if you get one in the future.

Edit
Most here has over paid for something with certain markings similar to the D&H giessele mags tbf.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sample is meaningless. Need to buy a ten rail group.
View Quote

Bull shit. G needs better QC.
Manufacturers need to stop inspecting one item in a batch of what ever amount, and rubber stamping the rest.

Its fine on a 30 dollar demco receiver, not a 300+ rail.

@Molon , have you contacted G for warranty?
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top