Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2021 10:17:21 PM EDT
Title might be a little harsh and I'm sure this has been asked before but here it goes. I'm looking at picking up a Radian mod 1 factory rifle 14.5 unfired for what seems like a great deal. Considering the current political climate I'm trying to buy the one rifle to last forever and be a do everything shtf type gun. The seller is a friend of a friend and is willing to let it go for $2300. He has two other radian guns and swears by them. I also have the option to get a kac mod 1 16 inch for $2900 that has a total of 400 rounds through it. That seems a bit high for a mod 1, but gun bans and shit looming you know. I'm looking for some advice from the experts on which route to take. Also is the radian really the last a life time gun or is it just another gun with extra features? For context I have multiple ars already including DD Geissele BCM and some other less expensive. What's one more right? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d upgrade some small parts on one of your current builds to top tier bomb proof components... optic, barrel, trigger etc, and spend the rest on ammo if that were me.

Currently what im doing myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d upgrade some small parts on one of your current builds to top tier bomb proof components... optic, barrel, trigger etc, and spend the rest on ammo if that were me.

Currently what im doing myself.
View Quote

The super duty DD and BCM all have chf barrels, I have either larue or geissele triggers in everything, and more than enough optics. Also a decent amount of ammo but that is never enough. I'm more interested in getting something top tier at this point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind the Radian upper is a proprietary; the upper receiver will not accept another handguard.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Sexy guns for sure. Great reviews. Always wanted to try one. I feel I've had about every other higher end rifle out there but Radians always had an unreasonable backlog so I normally don't support companies that can't put products to market. With that being said, I've had numerous Knights rifles, settled on their Mod 2 11.5 with their QDC suppressor as my go to. Worth noting, I tend to grab my MK18 just as often or more than my KAC.

I'd say grab the Radian as resell will be easy if you want to move it. Aside from the crazy market we're in at the moment, mod 2 Knights are usually easier to get your hands on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
KAC Mod2 MLOK and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Get one if you like it. I'm sure it's good stuff. I'd rather have a G or DD though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep in mind the Radian upper is a proprietary; the upper receiver will not accept another handguard.

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/catalog/product/r/a/radian_model_1_upper_handguard_10in_blk_-_1.jpg

View Quote

Wouldn’t swap it out. Very nice and lightweight

If it didn’t take 5-6 months to get and I was poor. I’d definitely have a couple. Love there products
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#8]
16 inch Model 1 is my go to. I have an 11.5 KAC CQB on the way. It’ll probably give it a run for it’s money. Otherwise, in my opinion, Radian is the best in the game. Best lower ambi controls and so forth. However, I think it’s worth it if you have a MIL discount. I saved about 4-500 with mine. For the same price MSRP I would probably go knights. If it’s a workhorse, KAC. If it’s for precision... radian. That’s the way I view it. The model one is a heavy girl. Not gonna lie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sexy guns for sure. Great reviews. Always wanted to try one. I feel I've had about every other higher end rifle out there but Radians always had an unreasonable backlog so I normally don't support companies that can't put products to market. With that being said, I've had numerous Knights rifles, settled on their Mod 2 11.5 with their QDC suppressor as my go to. Worth noting, I tend to grab my MK18 just as often or more than my KAC.

I'd say grab the Radian as resell will be easy if you want to move it. Aside from the crazy market we're in at the moment, mod 2 Knights are usually easier to get your hands on.
View Quote

This is probably what I’m going to do. Thanks for some good advice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My go to is currently my Geissele 11.5. The knights mod 2 seems to be extremely difficult to find similar to the radian. I might have gotten lucky with this one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I would just go with a KAC.

Not saying Radians are bad rifles, I would probably get a few if I could, but Knights is the way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]
If you have the money just go with KAC.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have the money just go with KAC.
View Quote

Right but its $600 more and a much older gun being the KAC mod 1 just with a very low round count. It seems like $2900 for a KAC mod 1 is too high. The radian is unfired 14.5 fde for $2300 which seems like a really good deal. Yes I have always wanted a KAC, but if the radian is as good as everyone says I think it would be a much better buy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
the radian lower is my favorite by far for several reasons. only downside IMO is that its a bit heavier than most lowers.

ive heard that Mod 1 rifle is heavy several times. i have a radian lower, upper and rail with a medium weight 14.5" criterion barrel and i wouldnt call it heavy.

i tend to like slimmer rails than i have on my radian but thats personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Right but its $600 more and a much older gun being the KAC mod 1 just with a very low round count. It seems like $2900 for a KAC mod 1 is too high. The radian is unfired 14.5 fde for $2300 which seems like a really good deal. Yes I have always wanted a KAC, but if the radian is as good as everyone says I think it would be a much better buy.
View Quote

Then don’t buy the Mod 1. Buy a Mod 2 and be happy. Boutique AR’s are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Then don’t buy the Mod 1. Buy a Mod 2 and be happy. Boutique AR’s are a waste of money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would love a Mod 2 if I could find one in stock somewhere. Boutique AR's are a waste of money? I guess budget AR's are just as good? Fortunately I am allowed to waste my money. I would like to waste it on a high end ar-15 considering getting an ar-15 might become difficult in the not so distant future. It would be awesome if someone had some actual knowledge of the two weapons in question and could provide some actual advice. Still trying to get some opinions on weather the Radian mod 1 is a go to war rifle or not?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Spend your money how you wish. You’re the one who set the criteria but didn’t define it.  What is a “go to war” rifle. A Colt 6920 will do that.  You can absolutely build a “just as good” AR using high end parts as you’d get from a boutique brand for more money. Same can be said for boutique shotguns and Glocks...and pretty much any plug and play firearm that requires little to no fitting.  Youre not paying for anything that improves functionality. Just some time intensive milling. You’re missing out on several features buying the Radian that you would get with the KAC. Mod 2’s are definitely out there. Best of luck.

https://charliescustomclones.com/knights-armament-kac-sr-15-e3-mod-2-14-5-mlok-carbine-rifle-nfa-item/

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Spend your money how you wish. You’re the one who set the criteria but didn’t define it.  What is a “go to war” rifle. A Colt 6920 will do that.  You can absolutely build a “just as good” AR using high end parts as you’d get from a boutique brand for more money. Same can be said for boutique shotguns and Glocks...and pretty much any plug and play firearm that requires little to no fitting.  Youre not paying for anything that improves functionality. Just some time intensive milling. You’re missing out on several features buying the Radian that you would get with the KAC. Mod 2’s are definitely out there. Best of luck.

https://charliescustomclones.com/knights-armament-kac-sr-15-e3-mod-2-14-5-mlok-carbine-rifle-nfa-item/

View Quote

I mean come on man. The term go to war is a common adjective people use to describe certain brands and specific rifles. It refers to the reliability of the weapon in adverse conditions after high round counts. If you were to go to war you would want the best weapon possible correct? I can respect built not bought, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to pick up a factory built rifle that would fit that criteria, and get it at a fair price. I am trying to get some opinions from people that have some time behind the radian mod 1, and a better understanding of the gun. I am trying to decide if I should pay $600 more for a kac mod 1 or not because I've been searching pretty hard for a mod 2 and cannot find one in stock anywhere. The radian adac lower seems pretty amazing. The kac has the proprietary bolt and gas system that make it very soft shooting from what I understand. The kac mod 1 does not come with the sand cutter bolt carrier though. Just looking for some help weighing the pros and cons of the two.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have seen some of the guns I have come across in battle, you wouldn’t hesitate to use a Radian.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I mean come on man. The term go to war is a common adjective people use to describe certain brands and specific rifles. It refers to the reliability of the weapon in adverse conditions after high round counts. If you were to go to war you would want the best weapon possible correct? I can respect built not bought, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I'm looking to pick up a factory built rifle that would fit that criteria, and get it at a fair price. I am trying to get some opinions from people that have some time behind the radian mod 1, and a better understanding of the gun. I am trying to decide if I should pay $600 more for a kac mod 1 or not because I've been searching pretty hard for a mod 2 and cannot find one in stock anywhere. The radian adac lower seems pretty amazing. The kac has the proprietary bolt and gas system that make it very soft shooting from what I understand. The kac mod 1 does not come with the sand cutter bolt carrier though. Just looking for some help weighing the pros and cons of the two.
View Quote

Come on man!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you have seen some of the guns I have come across in battle, you wouldn’t hesitate to use a Radian.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol fair enough
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't both KAC & Radian have some proprietary parts? Both minor improvements over milspec but might as well be HK for that matter. I'd vote for a factory built Centurion Arms RECCE over either but fat chance finding one of those right now too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Please check join date before posting.

Come on guys. Use your heads
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please check join date before posting.

Come on guys. Use your heads
View Quote

I don’t understand what that has to do with anything. You used to be able to find all sorts of resources on this website through google and I never found a reason to make a post. For some reason every google result is just bringing me to the home page now. I decided to make an account to get some advice. Admittedly it hasn’t worked out so well. I’ve owned at least one ar15 since 2012 and my current go to is an 11.5 sbr aero lower with mbt2s vltor a5 and a geissele super duty upper and yhm turbo t2. Thanks for your help and making a newcomer feel welcome though.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't both KAC & Radian have some proprietary parts? Both minor improvements over milspec but might as well be HK for that matter. I'd vote for a factory built Centurion Arms RECCE over either but fat chance finding one of those right now too.
View Quote

Yeah these are the two I have the opportunity to pick up right now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#28]
"one rifle to last forever and be a do everything shtf type gun"

I don't think anything will fit that bill without a lot of compromises and not shooting it too much. All parts wear out and break, and a 14.5" is no 10.3" CQBR, nor is it a 18" SPR. It's just an AR-15 with a 14.5" barrel with somewhat higher quality parts than your basic Aero Precision build. The gas rings, extractor and ejector springs, the gas tube, the barrel, the recoil spring, etc. It will all eventually fail from use because the design is the design. Some smartly improved parts can last a little bit longer, but I've never seen one of them that's cost effective compared to common designs and keeping some spare parts on hand. Too many folks claim their gucci BCG will magically out-survive any USGI design BCG, but from my experience I've not met any of those people who even shot enough for it to matter. Everyone I know who does very high round counts (at least 2k a month) just buys standard quality parts and performs maintenance. A 10.3" suppressed gun wears out gas tubes, bolts, and springs long before a 16" unsuppressed gun does.

What are your TOP priorities for the rifle to do? There's no goldilocks gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"one rifle to last forever and be a do everything shtf type gun"

I don't think anything will fit that bill without a lot of compromises and not shooting it too much. All parts wear out and break, and a 14.5" is no 10.3" CQBR, nor is it a 18" SPR. It's just an AR-15 with a 14.5" barrel with somewhat higher quality parts than your normal Aero Precision build.

What are your TOP priorities for the rifle to do? There's no goldilocks gun.
View Quote

Well I currently have a pretty well built 11.5 sbr with a geissele super duty upper as my go to night vision set up. I've never owner a gun that is really at the top tier level (radian, lmt, kac, ext) I have a vortex viper pstii waiting to go on something so I'm thinking a recce type gun. Something top quality that will hopefully have that special something that makes it worth $2300-$2900. Basically I have the option right now for either a 14.5 radian mod 1 for $2300 or a kac mod 1 16 inch for $2900. The radian is unfired the kac has about 400 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well I currently have a pretty well built 11.5 sbr with a geissele super duty upper as my go to night vision set up. I've never owner a gun that is really at the top tier level (radian, lmt, kac, ext) I have a vortex viper pstii waiting to go on something so I'm thinking a recce type gun. Something top quality that will hopefully have that special something that makes it worth $2300-$2900. Basically I have the option right now for either a 14.5 radian mod 1 for $2300 or a kac mod 1 16 inch for $2900. The radian is unfired the kac has about 400 rounds through it.
View Quote

So you can spend $2300-$2900 on a questionably nicer rifle only to put a $500 Philllipines scope on it that needs its warranty.

Your priorities aren't right. Sell the Phillipines scope and use your budget to then buy something actually reliable, like a Nightforce NX8 1-8, Razor 1-10, etc. Quality optics, lasers, and lights are every bit as important on a rifle as some overhyped bolt that might last 20% longer than a regular BCM BCG.

Then when you have money left, go for some quality 14.5" or 16" gun. With a small amount of tools and just buying quality parts, many folk with a modicum of effort can assemble just as high quality a rifle as some gucci brand does. Then you can have EXACTLY what you want. Or maybe a quality company fits the bill and you can save the time by buying theirs. You're not going to pick up a home-built 14.5" with high quality parts, and a KAC 14.5" and suddenly think it's a night and day difference. Too many people on these forums just overhype overpriced brands then don't even shoot enough to objectively state the differences beyond "muh feels". KAC rifles are excellent, but there's not really a secret sauce beyond competent assembly and well-QC'd components they subcontract to a myriad of other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Your priorities aren't right. Sell the Phillipines scope and use your budget to then buy something actually reliable, like a Nightforce NX8 1-8, Razor 1-10, etc. Quality optics, lasers, and lights are every bit as important on a rifle as some overhyped bolt that might last 20% longer than a regular BCM BCG.

Then when you have money left, go for some quality 14.5" or 16" gun. With a small amount of tools and just buying quality parts, many folk with a modicum of effort can assemble just as high quality a rifle as some gucci brand does. Then you can have EXACTLY what you want. Or maybe a quality company fits the bill and you can save the time by buying theirs. You're not going to pick up a home-built 14.5" with high quality parts, and a KAC 14.5" and suddenly think it's a night and day difference. Too many people on these forums just overhype overpriced brands then don't even shoot enough to objectively state the differences beyond "muh feels". KAC rifles are excellent, but there's not really a secret sauce beyond competent assembly and well-QC'd components they subcontract to a myriad of other manufacturers.
View Quote

Well the viper is just what I have sitting in a drawer at this moment that will be a place holder. I've run it before on other guns and I love the thing. Looking through a buddies 1-6 razor side by side is minimal difference. The razor does seem more robust. I'm sure it will get replaced, but the gun is my number one priority right now. I have the cash to buy whatever gun I want and I would like something a little nicer than my ddm4v7.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top