Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2021 2:08:18 PM EDT
I probably know the answer to this; and have zero intention of breaking any laws.

If you had to test fire a weapon in an urban environment - with neighbors and houses and people around - is there any possible way to test an AR-15 functioning and firing?

Obviously safety and sound, and someone seeing you are the biggest risk.
Going to the range or a remote wooded area is out of the question or not possible.... this is just hypothetical for this question.

thoughts? Can you do it? Would you do it?

Or... can you fully test an AR without live ammo?

EDIT: For the record, and once again, I do not intend to do this or anything illegal. I have access to a range and remote wooded areas for shooting, just not at my home.
This is just a hypothetical question as I was looking out my back window wishing I had land and area to safely operate a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
You fire it in a safe manner in a safe environment.
ETA: Go to a range, they exist.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Blank Firing Adapter.

Cue the noise complaints/local citations.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I probably know the answer to this; and have zero intention of breaking any laws.

If you had to test fire a weapon in an urban environment - with neighbors and houses and people around - is there any possible way to test an AR-15 functioning and firing?

Obviously safety and sound, and someone seeing you are the biggest risk.
Going to the range or a remote wooded area is out of the question or not possible.... this is just hypothetical for this question.

thoughts? Can you do it? Would you do it?

Or... can you fully test an AR without live ammo?
View Quote

Yes. Go in your backyard and shoot directly into the ground (not at an angle). Check local ordinances. Get a mark out done first if you haven’t had one in the last to identify pipeline etc though the bullet will not penetrate more than a few inches.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
We used a Snail bullet trap in the back of the shop in the middle of the DFW Metroplex. Stick the muzzle in the hole and fire away. Throw a couple of blankets over the whole thing and most people will never know. I know someone who runs a very loud Hazard Fraught compressor while shooting 22 and PCP airguns in his garage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I once heard of a backyard gunsmith who operated out of a wooden shed.

Supposedly he had a trap door in the shed floor and would test fire guns into the ground beneath his shed.

This is all hearsay and would most likely be illegal to do in any city.

But I would theorize that a well insulated shed would contain most of the sound. And smoke too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when the DC Sniper was close to being caught, right down the road from my parents the feds came and yanked a stump out of the backyard of a duplex in Tacoma.  Turned out John Allen Muhammad had been zeroing in his bushmaster right in his back yard in the middle of a neighborhood and they were hoping for ballistic evidence or something.  

I wouldn't recommend it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#8]
In your basement. Build a good backstop.

Maybe throw on a good mask too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen a couple of gun shops over the years that built traps from large welding tanks (120 ft^3) filled most of the way with sand.  I bought a used 7mm Rem Mag and asked that the shop test fire it.  They said no problem, loaded it, stuck it in the tank and pulled the trigger.  They had rubber over the front and a slit cut in it to put the barrel through.  Wasn't very loud at all.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't.

I shot a lot of .22 and 9mm in my basement.  An Ar15 would hurt your whole body.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve heard of people function testing guns by shooting down into trash cans full of water. Allegedly.

Check local laws, most cities dont allow gunfire, and a lot of cities now have shot spotters.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shot a lot of .22 and 9mm in my basement.  An Ar15 would hurt your whole body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't.

55 grains skipping around in a concrete basement at ~3k fps could get "interesting" quickly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to live in Northeast Minneapolis and would test fire into stacks of phone books, including an FAL, down in the root cellar. I used to also shoot .308 blanks into the attic to try and scare off squirrels and raccoons that got up there. Never an issue beyond the cats being a little jumpy the rest of the night. I wouldn't RECOMMEND doing this, but it helps if you know your neighbors pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfCZqkpS4PA
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I used to live in Northeast Minneapolis and would test fire into stacks of phone books, including an FAL, down in the root cellar.
View Quote

Did the bullet make it past the "Rs"?

(Sopranos reference).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
5 gallon bucket filled with playground sand.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#18]
phonebooks and pop bottle always works
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

55 grains skipping around in a concrete basement at ~3k fps could get "interesting" quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't.

That's not the issue.  Bullets are easy to stop.  The issue is that much noise and pressure confined in a small space with cement walls.  I shot a .40 in my basement a few times, and it was almost like a flash-bang going off.  The concussion made the I-beam ring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's not the issue.  Bullets are easy to stop.  The issue is that much noise and pressure confined in a small space with cement walls.  I shot a .40 in my basement a few times, and it was almost like a flash-bang going off.  The concussion made the I-beam ring.
View Quote

I have zero faith that the majority of guys have enough forward thinking skills to accomplish stopping bullets in a basement, especially centerfire rifle.

Hot lead concerns me more than concussion personally. To each their own.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I heard tale of a guy who was test firing a SKS. He stated that he had four phone books lined up in a closet and if went through 'all fo om', so, yes, some use interesting means of test firing in urban areas. With the phone book method I would recommend more than 4, at least
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#22]
OP can you follow back up?

Can you just unload 2-3 rounds to verify cycling in the dirt behind your house? Standing on your deck firing nearly straight down
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]
A IN gunsmith fired a 45 into the ground behind his house and killed a man over 300 yards away sleeping in a mobile home.
The pistol he was working on belonged to a LEO.
I can't find the complete story, just this.

Indiana Gunsmith Gets 60 Days for Killing Neighbour with Stray Bullet
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Just got outside, pop off a round and get back inside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got outside, pop off a round and get back inside.
View Quote

Worked great for the guy in the linked article posted above your post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I used to live in Northeast Minneapolis and would test fire into stacks of phone books, including an FAL, down in the root cellar. I used to also shoot .308 blanks into the attic to try and scare off squirrels and raccoons that got up there. Never an issue beyond the cats being a little jumpy the rest of the night. I wouldn't RECOMMEND doing this, but it helps if you know your neighbors pretty well.
View Quote
Yeah, they'd shot spotter your ass in that neighborhood now.

I have considered function testing with suppressed .300BO subsonic shot into the dirt in my backyard. It isn't much louder than an air nailer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I really doubt that stray bullet story
Involved anything close to a reasonable angle for “shooting into the ground”
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP can you follow back up?

Can you just unload 2-3 rounds to verify cycling in the dirt behind your house? Standing on your deck firing nearly straight down
View Quote

OP here...
I mean... i COULD probably do that... not that I would. But I do have nieghbors and their homes are 25 feet away and about 100 feet away from my backyard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have zero faith that the majority of guys have enough forward thinking skills to accomplish stopping bullets in a basement, especially centerfire rifle.

Hot lead concerns me more than concussion personally. To each their own.
View Quote

Rubber mulch will stop just about anything.  You just have to contain the mulch.  I used a plywood box, 32" deep.  It worked just fine.  I only fired jacketed bullets to help reduce lead in the air, filtered the air, and mopped up after.

Indoor ranges are made of cement.  It isn't like a Star Wars trash compactor.  How many people have you heard of that got hurt from hot lead of a cement wall?  We shoot at steel plates all the time.  Also, frangible bullets are a thing.  Yes, there is risk, and you have to do it right.  But arbitrarily telling people "don't" because you assume that they are probably too stupid is lame.  Nobody is going to choose not to do it because you said so.  If it concerns you, point out the risks, so that you know they are making an informed decision.  Offer some suggestions if you have any.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Indoor ranges are made of cement.  It isn't like a Star Wars trash compactor.  How many people have you heard of that got hurt from hot lead of a cement wall?  We shoot at steel plates all the time.  Also, frangible bullets are a thing.  Yes, there is risk, and you have to do it right.  But arbitrarily telling people "don't" because you assume that they are probably too stupid is lame.  Nobody is going to choose not to do it because you said so.  If it concerns you, point out the risks, so that you know they are making an informed decision.  Offer some suggestions if you have any.
View Quote

Like I stated, to each their own. I'll not waste time/effort attempting to educate individuals on how to fire centerfire cartridges in their home basements using fucked up home remedy bullet traps. Feel free to instruct the masses.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even more odd, a 45 cal  traveled over 300 yards, through a woods, trailer, couch and killed a man.
How hard would that be if you were trying to hit him?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes. Go in your backyard and shoot directly into the ground (not at an angle). Check local ordinances. Get a mark out done first if you haven’t had one in the last to identify pipeline etc though the bullet will not penetrate more than a few inches.
View Quote

I do this doing mag dumps.  You will get sink spots occasionally. It’s gonna leave a cavity
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Even more odd, a 45 cal  traveled over 300 yards, through a woods, trailer, couch and killed a man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that it was fired at the ground.  Water, maybe.  As for how hard it would be, I quit asking that after I once read a story about a rifle bullet passing through a couple hundred yard of woods, and killing a guy on a moving train, and another one not far from here that fired into the air with a muzzle loader, and killed someone in their back yard, over a mile away.  God can be a dick sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Don't.
View Quote

But I heard the odor of burned powder is aphrodisiacs.  The gun room can double as my love palace.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#35]
To me, the problem with setting up a range in your basement is not the noise, or hot lead, it's the fumes (lead styphnate from the primers) creating a health hazard.  You would need forced ventilation from the shooter's position down range to keep you from breathing it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
if you're fine with breaking that law, why not break some others about suppressor construction?

ranges in europe have big barrels people shoot through. The barrels are filled with sound absorbing material and that really cuts down report and at least directs it.

22 subs out of a bolt gun with a can can go off in a garage without my wife hearing them on the other side of the door. in minecraft
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
To me, the problem with setting up a range in your basement is not the noise, or hot lead, it's the fumes (lead styphnate from the primers) creating a health hazard.  You would need forced ventilation from the shooter's position down range to keep you from breathing it.
View Quote

The first few time I did it, it made the entire house smell like ass.  I hung a box fan with a hepa filter from the ceiling a little beyond my shooting position, and had another fan blowing out the window.  I couldn't even smell it after that.  It worked well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Northeast MPLS.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Here, I am sure it is different with each state and area, but you cannot discharge a firearm within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure. You can get permits for ranges, shooting barrels and other situations. If you do not have said permit, and you are shooting in your basement, back yard or alley, you are putting your ability to legally own firearms in jeopardy. Don’t think so, a quick google search will show you guys who were doing just that and now they can’t own guns, or have a record of being an idiot.

I am not here to say it can’t be done, I am here to say that owning a firearm is an incredibly important responsibility. If you are discharging your weapon in a way you should not be doing, you are doing a disservice to the 2A community as a whole, and putting your freedom at risk.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess some people do not appreciate how much noise / concussion a handgun makes being fired indoors, let alone a rife round.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfCZqkpS4PA
View Quote

Nice area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice area.
View Quote

Get used to it, our new 1 party government wants to bring that to the rest of the country...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#44]

These glory holes are nice....if you’re doing a lot of building and a lot of test firing.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top