Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2018 7:02:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
And yet countless A1s, A2s, A4s, mk18s, mk12s, m4s, m4a1s (etc.) being wielded (or having been wielded) by grunts and POGs are chugging (or did chug) along.

Not even going to mention countless more civilian ARs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same roll pin break on a new Colt upper.

Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Opening the takedown pins and driving the upper forward wasn't an option?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh.....parts break. Guns jam. Shit happens.

Who was the manufacturer?
I’ve never had a single issue with a fwd assist. Don’t think I’ll be afraid of having one on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Opening the takedown pins and driving the upper forward wasn't an option?
View Quote
My lower has separate cutouts for the rear tab and fire control group.

Edit: Sorry, OP. I don't want to steal your thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I once had a primer blow out and it jammed the action, getting stuck between the snorkel and the charging handle recess in the upper.

The pawl breaking is something like a one in a billion event.  Totally not enough for any reasonable man to say "Forward assists should be eliminated because this can happen!".

Let me guess...just because in one out of may be a million auto accidents, someone NOT wearing a seatbelt gets into an accident, is ejected from the vehicle, survives with only minor injuries,  and his car goes on to get totalled and crushed beyond any hope of any survivors in the car,  so in that ultra rare instance, it was better to NOT be wearing a seatbelt,  so you think that it's safer to NOT wear your seatbelt.    Am I right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Meh.....parts break. Guns jam. .
View Quote
very small sample size.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Nvmd. Order of Ops wrong.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Were y'all doing barricade drills?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Well in my time in the service, I saw a couple of M1 Abrams tanks blow up as well because of defects in the shells they were shooting.

Shit happens, fortunately, not all that often.

I have used my FA in a SHTF situation and they worked as designed, so I don't mind them, one gun malfunctioning is not a reason to condemn all guns with the FA

Pursuit, you are painting with a wide brush right now, if he wants a new upper, I will be happy to send him one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw a similar thing happen years ago but it was not from the forward assist. It was a piece of a magazine lip that broke and lodged the carrier into the receiver extension. I also cut the receiver extension off to break the carrier free. I try to avoid receiver extensions with much of a retainer cut out and sand them off if possible. Some receiver extensions will have a deep channel cut out for the  buffer retainer and your stuck using them as is. The castle nut and end plate are plenty of tension to keep the tube in place anyway. All my personal AR's have the receiver extensions installed without the buffer retainer cut on the tube.

As far as the forward assist goes, I still prefer to have it as to not have it. What happened in your case is not common and the chance of it happening is worth the risk, IMO.
I bet the pin was installed wrong or the wrong pin was used or the pin hole size in the upper was drilled wrong or the forward assist was damaged or installed wrong. I don't see a properly installed forward assist falling out and the pin snapping from no tension would only happen if the pin was rusted/ corroded or not fit properly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Brand???
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I personally don't see this as a valid reason to not have a forward assist. Maybe a simple PCI of the weapon before use would have prevented this? I personally have a habit of taking a quick look and fell of my firearms because what I was taught in basic training has stuck with me. A quick look over and function check of a weapon system can reveal a pin or bolt walking out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like we should be eliminating roll pins from our rifles, that's what failed here right?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Another forward assist is evil thread...

Please let it go. If you don't want a forward assist then don't have one.

I've used them and have never had one fail. I'll keep it. You are just as likely to have any other freak failure, and far more likely to have one of MANY more common failures.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I broke a bolt on a Colt.

OP is wrong.  The forward assist is a necessary piece of the upper.  Lack of and/or poor training is what causes people to not want it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted: Yet, it HAPPENED!
View Quote
"Events occur" (which is a polite way of saying sh*t happens.).   No particularly good reason not to own an AR with a forward assist. If you don't want one on your AR, then by all means buy one without.  But call it what it is - personal preference.  If I refused to buy a firearm based on the fact that a part could fail and potentially damage the gun, my safe would be empty.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OP is wrong.  The forward assist is a necessary piece of the upper.  Lack of and/or poor training is what causes people to not want it.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So you are saying your knowledge of the system is better than...

Eugene Stoner
Pat Rogers
Clint Smith

I KNOW my knowledge doesn’t equal theirs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying your knowledge of the system is better than...

Eugene Stoner
Pat Rogers
Clint Smith

I KNOW my knowledge doesn’t equal theirs.
As I've said in all of these threads, I don't think either of you are correct.

What is correct, is its personal preference. A gun is a tool, a forward assist is a tool. Tools break, especially ones that exert pressure on a small pin. I will be keeping my forward assists. And I don't tell anybody that prefers the thumb/carrier method to snap the extractor over a case rim that they're wrong either. It is personal preference.  It will always be, personal preference.

I wish this topic would just die there, but it won't.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I forgot to put the buffer spring back in my lower one time. Went to function test it, and the bolt goes back...and stays back!

It wouldn’t move. I banged on it for an hour and it wasn’t going to move. I couldn’t get anything inside the ejection port, especially not to pull it forward. It sucked. Here’s what I did. I drilled a large hole in the end of the buffer tube, and then inserted a dowell rod into that and hammered it (had to do it really hard for some reason) until the carrier went forward.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I don’t have this problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Ya, ya, ya

I got one of those as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. I had to use it on my M-16A1 rifles in SE Asia in a shooting match with the bad guys and it works well. Also for clearing water out of barrel when coming out on crossings. Just crack the charging handle back a bit, drain and let forward with a tap on the forward assist. Much quieter than racking the damn thing.

Much more positive than the retarded-ass finger push on the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:27:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I've seen this happen on an issued M4.  And while it may be a rare occurrence, it's one of the few malfunctions that leaves the gun completely inoperable.  Almost anything else short of a kaboom can be fixed quickly and in the field.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:29:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

OP is wrong.  The forward assist is a necessary piece of the upper.  Lack of and/or poor training is what causes people to not want it
View Quote
To someone who has had no training on the system. What does it help with?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing that cant be accomplished through other methods.  This is a never ending argument here.  It's been going on since I registered in 1999, and it will continue long after I'm dead.  Most of my rifles have them, except for the lightweight build I'm working on.  I've never considered them a liability.  This is certainly a fluke deal, but it certainly turns your rifle into an expensive club if it happens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is wrong.  The forward assist is a necessary piece of the upper.  Lack of and/or poor training is what causes people to not want it
Pushing the bolt in battery if it doesn't go all the way when loading, press checking, or draining.   It's NOT to beat a malfunction tighter into the upper, which is what many people do with it for some reason.

Pushing on the side of a smooth, oily carrier through the ejection port doesn't have any effect for me.  A little push on the F/A does.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's NOT to beat a malfunction tighter into the upper, which is what many people do with it for some reason.  
View Quote
Because that's what the military taught people to do for decades.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#38]
What AR was it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's NOT to beat a malfunction tighter into the upper, which is what many people do with it for some reason.  
Like I said.  People with poor training don't know what the fuck they're doing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Pat Rogers said to NEVER use a FA?

Is that what he told all the military personelle he trained?  

Either way it's a bummer.

I could go either way on this argument.  But I'm that way about a lot of things.  I personally like the idea of having a manual way to make sure a bolt is seated.  And I'm not sure the recess in the bolt is good enough for that.  But just about every other type of auto loading rifle has a way you can take your hand and make sure the bolt is all the way home.  Which just makes sense to me.  Because sometimes they get stuck.  Even if just from a new magazine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll keep building guns with FA and usin them, they have proven handy for my uses.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Pushing on the side of a smooth, oily carrier through the ejection port doesn't have any effect for me.
View Quote
It would if you were stronger.

Pushing on the correct area makes it nearly impossible for your thumb to slip off, oily or not.

If you release the charging handle from far enough back (not enough to eject a chambered round) you still won't need the FA in the situations you named.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pushing on the correct area makes it nearly impossible for your thumb to slip off, oily or not.

If you release the charging handle from far enough back (not enough to eject a chambered round) you still won't need the FA in the situations you named.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pushing on the side of a smooth, oily carrier through the ejection port doesn't have any effect for me.

My thumb barely fits in the ejection port, with gloves on, it doesn't at all.    I'm plenty strong.  I'm in the gym 3-4 days a week and on the range 1-2.  Pulling back further on a press check is going to cause more problems than a forward assist ever did. You need better training.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#44]
So from an armorer's perspective, how do we correct this malfunction if we encounter it? Clearly whacking it forward with a mallet isn't the answer if the result is a cracked receiver.

I would much rather discuss solutions than debate the merits of a FA.

Could we dremel the forward assist off from outside and then drill it out perhaps? A large enough drill bit may cut/remove enough of the broken pin and remaining assembly to allow it to wiggle free? Once we get the carrier moving perhaps we would then be able to get at the rest of it and remove it?

If the pawl is friction locked between the carrier and the inside of the upper, could we gently tap the carrier back and forth with a hammer and a dowel to loosen it up? One could use the exposed front of the carrier to tap the carrier back and the backs of the lugs to tap it forward.  My idea being, rather than smash it forward which only increases the friction, gradually work it back and forth until the friction lock is broken.  Once it loosens up a little, tilt the rifle so the FA faces the ground and give it a couple light taps to see if the pawl will drop back into place?

Any other ideas for how to solve this if we ever encounter it in the wild?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My thumb barely fits in the ejection port, with gloves on, it doesn't at all.    I'm plenty strong.  I'm in the gym 3-4 days a week and on the range 1-2.  Pulling back further on a press check is going to cause more problems than a forward assist ever did. You need better training.
View Quote
Ok so just use the side of the tip of your thumb.

I've never caused any problems with my press/chamber checks, and I wouldn't need a forward assist to correct them if I did. It sounds like you'd be lost on a weapon without one. Those still exist, you know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So from an armorer's perspective, how do we correct this malfunction if we encounter it? Clearly whacking it forward with a mallet isn't the answer if the result is a cracked receiver.

I would much rather discuss solutions than debate the merits of a FA.

Could we dremel the forward assist off from outside and then drill it out perhaps? A large enough drill bit may cut/remove enough of the broken pin and remaining assembly to allow it to wiggle free? Once we get the carrier moving perhaps we would then be able to get at the rest of it and remove it?

If the pawl is friction locked between the carrier and the inside of the upper, could we gently tap the carrier back and forth with a hammer and a dowel to loosen it up? One could use the exposed front of the carrier to tap the carrier back and the backs of the lugs to tap it forward.  My idea being, rather than smash it forward which only increases the friction, gradually work it back and forth until the friction lock is broken.  Once it loosens up a little, tilt the rifle so the FA faces the ground and give it a couple light taps to see if the pawl will drop back into place?

Any other ideas for how to solve this if we ever encounter it in the wild?
View Quote
Remove the forward assist, just drive out the pin and pull out everything you can.  Then shine a light down the tunnel.  If you can see where the pawl is caught you may be able to work the bolt carrier in the proper direction to get it loose.  That's what I've done when I encountered this malfunction.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#48]
It's a requirement for SR matches. Otherwise, meh.

From the Ayatollah:
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There are PLENTY of reasons for not having/using a Forward Assist, this just adds to the list.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#50]
So just how does a "never been used" roll pin just suddenly break?
Its not what they tell you but what they don't.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top