BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 123
Posted: 6/10/2018 12:23:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn]
Branching off from the normal Recce Rifle Thread for just legit clones. These have the most varying setups of all the clones, I believe. There is no hard data listed for every piece of equipment on these rifles. Only ITW photo's and some small lists of procurement from NSW. I have outlined the parts used most commonly but there are plenty of versions that are not covered in this list. The ITW one off photos of an already one off setup can be cloned using the parts visible in the photo!

There are 5 major types of these clones. All are built on Colt receivers except the 416 variant. Details are below

NSWDG RECCE RIFLE:

Optic: 2.5-10x24 Nightforce
Rings: Nightforce A110
Piggybacked Optics: Jpoint, T1, or Insight MRDS. All using the respective mounts for each either using Wilcox NF ring cap. NF/Wilcox RULR cap, or 30mm tube mounts.
Handguard: KAC FF RAS Rifle Length
Barrel: Mystery Manufacturer. is 15.1" in length and uses the Ops Inc brake and collar
Suppressor: Ops 12th Model(AEM5 kosher too)
Bipod's: Atlas BT10 or Harris 6-9
Pistol Grips: A2, Ergo Deluxe, or DPMS
VFG: TD VFG or Magpul AFG2
Stocks: SOPMOD or CTR

NSWDG 416 Recce:

Optic: Nightforce 2.5-10x24 or Nightforce 1-4x24
Piggybacked Optic: Jpoint and Insight mounted in Wilcox Ring Cap or Insight 30mm Mount/Cap.
Rings: Nightforce A110, or Unimount. Larue LT101 Riser
Handguard: Factory HK
Barrel: 13"? Chopped HK barrel with Ops Collar and Brake, 14.5", or 10.4" HK
Muzzle Device: AAC 18T, BE Myers 249F, or Ops Brake
Suppressor: Ops 12th Model or AAC 416SD
Pistol Grips: TD or HK
VFG: TD, Grip Pod, or KAC
Stocks: SOPMOD, CTR, Vltor, or Factory HK

OG NSWDG Recce:

Optic: 2.5-10x24/32 Nightforce or Leupold Vari-x/MK4 series
Rings: Nightforce A110's, A203's, Leupold MK4, or KAC 1.4/5"
Piggybacked Optics: Jpoint in Wilcox NF mount. NF RULR Mount for RULR
Handguard: KAC FF RAS Rifle Length and Medium Length
Barrel: Lilja 17" SS
Muzzle Device: KAC M4QD or BE Myers 249F
Suppressor: KAC M4 QDSS CORNCOB
Bipod's: Harris 6-9 or Grip Pod
Pistol Grips: A2
Stocks: SOPMOD or CTR

Delta Recce:

Optic: S&B Short Dot
Rings: Larue LT101 Riser, Larue Rings
Handguard: KAC MRE
Barrel: 14.5 M4A1 Colt
Muzzle Device: KAC M4QD
Suppressor: KAC M4 QDSS CORNCOB
Pistol Grips: A2
VFG: Gangsta Grip
Stocks: SOPMOD or Car

AFSOC 416 Recce :

Optic: S&B Short Dot, NF 2.5-10x32, or Leupold 1-6 MK6
Rings: Larue LT104, NF Unimount, or Leupold MK6
Handguard: Geissele SMR or Remington RAHG
Barrel: 14.5 HK
Muzzle Device: Surefire 212
Suppressor: Surefire 212 with SOCOM locking collar
Pistol Grips: HK
VFG: Stubby
Stocks: CTR
Bipod: Atlas

ISSUED GUNS:

NSW RECCE

NSW 416 RECCE:

Attachment Attached File

OG SEAL RECCE:

DELTA RECCE:

AFSOC 416 RECCE:

CLONES:

Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
So to be considered “clone correct”, what are our limitations as far as uppers/lowers and grips?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GuynamedDave:
So to be considered “clone correct”, what are our limitations as far as uppers/lowers and grips?
View Quote
Hmmm....that's a good question. I would say at a minimum an m4 upper (Cerro is probably your best bet) and an A2 profile lower. Obviously colt is the way to go if you are looking to get a correct as possible. The early recce's with the lilja barrels would probably need a colt "AF" forge code upper. Probably the same with the Delta MRE uppers. I haven't seen a picture of one that is good enough quality to be able to see the forge mark, so the assumption on the AF is made based on what was known to be seen during the period of use. Grips, you are probably safe using anything that has been seen used in the wild. I've yet to see two recce's setup identically so there's a good amount of leeway on this platform.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Hmmm....that's a good question. I would say at a minimum an m4 upper (Cerro is probably your best bet) and an A2 profile lower. Obviously colt is the way to go if you are looking to get a correct as possible. The early recce's with the lilja barrels would probably need a colt "AF" forge code upper. Probably the same with the Delta MRE uppers. I haven't seen a picture of one that is good enough quality to be able to see the forge mark, so the assumption on the AF is made based on what was known to be seen during the period of use. Grips, you are probably safe using anything that has been seen used in the wild. I've yet to see two recce's setup identically so there's a good amount of leeway on this platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
For grips I prefer the MIAD but I know the A2 is the most obvious correct part.

For uppers and lowers, I prefer mine to be matched, i.e. Spikes upper/lower, Aero upper/lower, etc.... just wondering how far off base that would be
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]

For uppers and lowers, I prefer mine to be matched, i.e. Spikes upper/lower, Aero upper/lower, etc.... just wondering how far off base that would be
View Quote
Honestly, as far as the upper and lower, any of those matched sets would be the correct profile and perfectly fine to use. As long as it's an A2 profile lower and an m4 upper, you're good. You don't really have to get into roll marks and forge marks unless you are attempting to make a museum quality clone. People go nuts in the clone threads for colt lowers for the roll marks, but the thing that never made sense to me is they will do that knowing colt shaves the selector stops on all their commercial lowers. Which that's kind of a bigger knock than having the wrong roll mark if you ask me. I really think you would be safe with a MIAD also, plenty of those have been seen in use across several platforms.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Eyekahn:
Branching off from the normal Recce Rifle Thread for just  legit clones. These have the most varying setups of all the clones I believe.

Trying to keep this to the AR platform. But HK is kosher since it is the newer variant.

Here is a quick run down. Can add more items as they get brought up.

RAILS: KAC FF RAS Medium/Long and KAC MRE

OPTICS: Nightforce 2.5-10x24/32, Leupold MK4 Series, S&B Short Dot, and Doctor/T1 Piggybacked

OPTIC MOUNTS: NF Rings, ARMS Rings, NF Unimount, LaRue LT104, LaRue Riser/Ring Combo’s

BARRELS: 16/15.x Ops Cut Barrel, 16in Lilja, or 14.5 M4

BIPODS: Harris 6-9 and Atlas BT10

STOCK: SOPMOD, CAR, or CTR.

MUZZLE DEVICES: Ops/AE,  BE Myers, or KAC NT4

SUPPRESSORS: Ops 12th/AEM5 and KAC NT4

A few to get us started of in the wild and a few of the favorites I’ve collected.

https://i.imgur.com/eQsW54w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/96efWyH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gDCE7Tj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Su3iHMR.png

https://i.imgur.com/D8jzOnk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RnSjqeV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ts9Kivo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QTA7OyW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OVEqo9Y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/agsuTyF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZLDhhMo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lrgGcuB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5j54vFl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EIqypEh.jpg
View Quote
What leupold scope is that in pic 5 and 6? Capped turrets and no illuminated reticle(mil-dot?) from what it looks like...
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the crappy phone pic, medium RAS
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BigBoss01:

What leupold scope is that in pic 5 and 6? Capped turrets and no illuminated reticle(mil-dot?) from what it looks like...
View Quote
You see that scope on older recces and mre’s I haven’t nailed it down yet but I believe it’s a Leupold Vari model either taken from a sniper system or unit bought. I know a guy the went to sniper school with an m14 and hi-lux scope back in the day and I sent pictures of the scope in question to him for clarification.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My build is underway. Larue 16” barrel, KAC 12” RAS, Leupold 2.5-8 inbound. Next up upper/lower and Larue SPR Mount.

I’m having the barrel profiles by ADCO for the Ops can when it arrives and filing tax stamp by the end of the month.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
My build is underway. Larue 16” barrel, KAC 12” RAS, Leupold 2.5-8 inbound. Next up upper/lower and Larue SPR Mount.

I’m having the barrel profiles by ADCO for the Ops can when it arrives and filing tax stamp by the end of the month.
View Quote
Go with Colt, It'll make you warm and fuzzy inside you did it clone correct.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'll drop this here.

Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
@Great_Balls_Of_Fire
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By vanquishings:
I guess I'll drop this here.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4512/24295872698_7f244df323_o.jpg
View Quote
Yesssssssss.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#13]

View Quote
Receivers should be colt. As should the BCG. But it is what it is, run whatever you have that’s normal m4 upper and lower. No billet skull magwell or blinged out receiver sets and your straight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Receivers should be colt. As should the BCG. But it is what it is, run whatever you have that’s normal m4 upper and lower. No billet skull magwell or blinged our receiver sets and your straight.
View All Quotes

Receivers should be colt. As should the BCG. But it is what it is, run whatever you have that’s normal m4 upper and lower. No billet skull magwell or blinged our receiver sets and your straight.
Those are ghey. I plan on Spikes matched upper/lower
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Ah the dueling penises. There are better options.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
View All Quotes

I have always liked Spikes but certainly open to others if there is better out there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have always liked Spikes but certainly open to others if there is better out there.
View All Quotes

As far as cloning goes, imho if you aren’t going to use Colt receivers you might as well just use the cheapest ones you can find. Receivers are all basically the same except for the roll marks. My LMT lower and Anderson lower both do the exact same thing but at significantly different price points.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:
As far as cloning goes, imho if you aren’t going to use Colt receivers you might as well just use the cheapest ones you can find. Receivers are all basically the same except for the roll marks. My LMT lower and Anderson lower both do the exact same thing but at significantly different price points.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ehudbengera:

I'm just going to use my Armalite M15 as a host. This way I can sell off some excess parts and URGs to fund the new parts and keep the amount of ARs in my safe to a minimum. If I'm not mistaken, some of the Mk12s had Armalite receivers, right?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
You see that scope on older recces and mre’s I haven’t nailed it down yet but I believe it’s a Leupold Vari model either taken from a sniper system or unit bought. I know a guy the went to sniper school with an m14 and hi-lux scope back in the day and I sent pictures of the scope in question to him for clarification.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigBoss01:

Those are the Leupold "PR" models, an example of one is HERE
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Colt or NDS A1 lower, unbranded BCM upper; unless you can score a Colt upper as well. That's what I'd do, at least.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

View Quote
Hell yeah! You da man!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Colt or NDS A1 lower, unbranded BCM upper; unless you can score a Colt upper as well. That's what I'd do, at least.
View All Quotes

May I ask why those 2? Just learning not trying to argue.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]

May I ask why those 2? Just learning not trying to argue.
View Quote
The purpose of cloning is to use historically accurate parts to replicate it. More so why this thread was made to deviate from the RECCE rifle thread for more of the clone builds. Going out and snagging a Anderson lower for one of these defeats the purpose completely. Colt is primarily what was used, the A1 variant lowers (which are used for Mk12's) were used in these as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#25]
Who's got the one that is sitting on a table in like a conference room. It's painted and has vertical stripes like a grass paint job, tan, 1-4, sopmod stock.....  That one should be in here I think .  Harris 6-9...  LT-104   Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
http://www.rhinoden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0061.jpg

Who's got the one that is sitting on a table in like a conference room. It's painted and has vertical stripes like a grass paint job, tan, 1-4, sopmod stock.....  That one should be in here I think .  Harris 6-9...  LT-104   Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

https://i.imgur.com/oifBLaM.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#27]

View Quote
That Marine is using a MK12 mod 1, I believe
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By eMc9001:

The purpose of cloning is to use historically accurate parts to replicate it. More so why this thread was made to deviate from the RECCE rifle thread for more of the clone builds. Going out and snagging a Anderson lower for one of these defeats the purpose completely. Colt is primarily what was used, the A1 variant lowers (which are used for Mk12's) were used in these as well.
View Quote
I still think this is a grey area. For clone purposes, other than it being made by colt, a colt commercial lower is more clone incorrect than any standard milspec a2 profile lower just from the stand point of the missing selector stops. And while the pony and colt denfense marks are the same the rest of the roll mark is different and missing the govt property line. Now I get I'm getting into semantics at this point but just saying
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know the details on this? Is it a military rifle? Is that a legacy Surefire can?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#30]

I still think this is a grey area. For clone purposes, other than it being made by colt, a colt commercial lower is more clone incorrect than any standard milspec a2 profile lower just from the stand point of the missing selector stops. And while the pony and colt denfense marks are the same the rest of the roll mark is different and missing the govt property line. Now I get I'm getting into semantics at this point but just saying
View Quote
But it's not fair the average joe can spend $30 on a lower while I spend $1,000 on my elitist roll mark bro. Come on now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#31]

But it's not fair the average joe can spend $30 on a lower while I spend $1,000 on my elitist roll mark bro. Come on now.
View Quote
Hahaha....well you could be like me and spend $1500 on a lower made 25 years ago that cost $60 new bc of the dumbass state I live in....haha
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Hahaha....well you could be like me and spend $1500 on a lower made 25 years ago that cost $60 new bc of the dumbass state I live in....haha
View Quote
Yeah, well I understand the preban life lol. That's inevitable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#33]

https://i.imgur.com/oifBLaM.jpg
View Quote
Took you long enough to show up! That fist pic is an mk12 tho
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Yeah, well I understand the preban life lol. That's inevitable.
View Quote
Luckily for me and thanks to my homie who shall remain nameless to protect his identity from lower hungry cloners behind enemy lines, I got a Bushmaster a2 lower for $200
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Luckily for me and thanks to my homie who shall remain nameless to protect his identity from lower hungry cloners behind enemy lines, I got a Bushmaster a2 lower for $200
View Quote
The struggle is real when a $200 bushmaster lower is golden bliss.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#36]

The struggle is real when a $200 bushmaster lower is golden bliss.
View Quote
Right!?

ETA- at least it's not an $1500 essential arms. I'm am going to find a preban sendra lower for this thing at some point.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eMc9001] [#37]

Right!?

ETA- at least it's not an $1500 essential arms. I'm am going to find a preban sendra lower for this thing at some point.
View Quote
Make's me feel good for buying a KAC Ambi lower for $650.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Make's me feel good for buying a KAC Ambi lower for $650.
View Quote
Compared to what I'm used to that's a steal!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone been to sharkarms.com? They have stripped colt uppers for $125... I can’t find them cheap so I may order one and a full auto BCG as well.

Would I want a square or keyhole upper?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone been to sharkarms.com? They have stripped colt uppers for $125... I can’t find them cheap so I may order one and a full auto BCG as well.

View Quote
There was a thread a few weeks ago and errbody said shark arms was good to go.  It’s hard to go wrong with the keyhole
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
Keyhole is what you would want, Cerro was the primary forge supplier to colt around the time that the recce was in full swing. By the time brass aluminum started supplying colt, the change over to the 416 was starting. Now if you are going early recce (lilja/249f) combo the the correct upper would be raised "C AF" markings.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Keyhole is what you would want, Cerro was the primary forge supplier to colt around the time that the recce was in full swing. By the time brass aluminum started supplying colt, the change over to the 416 was starting. Now if you are going early recce (lilja/249f) combo the the correct upper would be raised "C AF" markings.
View All Quotes

Looks like more orders will be placed this week
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#44]
My absolute favorite rifle ever and pretty much what I’m building toward, with a Leupold MRT instead of the NF.

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: donkeykong] [#45]
What low pro gas blocks are you guys using under your KAC long FF RAS?

I have an inbound Lilja barrel and do not want to pin the gas block.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:04:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyekahn] [#46]
Originally Posted By donkeykong:

What low pro gas blocks are you guys using under your KAC long FF RAS?

I have an inbound Lilja barrel and do not want to pin the gas block.
View Quote
Badger would be clone correct.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

That's a SEAL.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigBoss01] [#48]
I'm liking this thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:08:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigBoss01] [#49]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

View Quote
Thanks! I love seeing "non standard/issue" optics in use.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Badger would be clone correct.
View Quote
Thank you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 123
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top