Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 262
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
2 questions

1. If you get the barrel part number 07-077-07308 direct from DD, or anywhere else does it come pinned? Can you request it be pinned if from DD?

2. When attaching the older style magpul AFG2 how are guys downrange actually attaching it to the mk16? The provided 7 slot rails are much smaller than the afg, so it doesn't get a good bite, magpul sells an mlock section specifically for the afg2 but its polymer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oneofus:
2 questions

1. If you get the barrel part number 07-077-07308 direct from DD, or anywhere else does it come pinned? Can you request it be pinned if from DD?

2. When attaching the older style magpul AFG2 how are guys downrange actually attaching it to the mk16? The provided 7 slot rails are much smaller than the afg, so it doesn't get a good bite, magpul sells an mlock section specifically for the afg2 but its polymer.
View Quote

1. When ordered from Daniel Defense with the low profile gas block the gas block will be pinned.  The specific gas block does not utilize set screws, pinning it is the only method of attachment.

2. No idea, I’d probably use the AFG specific MLOK rail or get an MLOK AFG.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

1. When ordered from Daniel Defense with the low profile gas block the gas block will be pinned.  The specific gas block does not utilize set screws, pinning it is the only method of attachment.

View Quote

Ok cool wasn't sure because in the pictures on DD and optics planet I don't see a pin
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Ok cool wasn't sure because in the pictures on DD and optics planet I don't see a pin
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It comes pinned. But the pin is not driven in hard.

You can easily remove it and then the gas block in order to install your barrel nut, reinstall and then drive in the rest of the way.

Its the easiest and most convenient gas block installation possible.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:

It comes pinned. But the pin is not driven in hard.

You can easily remove it and then the gas block in order to install your barrel nut, reinstall and then drive in the rest of the way.

Its the easiest and most convenient gas block installation possible.
View Quote

Awesome,  that should make getting the upper assembled alot easier.

There is 1 left on optics planet, just picked one up. If you buy it on your phone on the mobile version of the site it's slightly cheaper for some reason was 348 shipped
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried skimming through this 170+ page thread so forgive me if this has already been asked. Are there any issues or reasons I should stay away from the Geissele near clone, URGI sku: 08-159?

I don't care if it's clone correct but I do care if there's a performance difference between the geissele gas black vs the Daniel defense one. Has Geissele addressed the clearance issue on the URGI with their gas block? Thinking about picking one up on Opticsplanet and noticed there are two options. I'm assuming one is with the geissele gas block (Opticsplanet UPC:817953025215 MPN: 08-159) and the more expensive one is with the DD Optics Planet (UPC:817953025130 MPN: 05-858)?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By quattrospeed01:
Tried skimming through this 170+ page thread so forgive me if this has already been asked. Are there any issues or reasons I should stay away from the Geissele near clone, URGI sku: 08-159?

I don't care if it's clone correct but I do care if there's a performance difference between the geissele gas black vs the Daniel defense one. Has Geissele addressed the clearance issue on the URGI with their gas block? Thinking about picking one up on Opticsplanet and noticed there are two options. I'm assuming one is with the geissele gas block (Opticsplanet UPC:817953025215 MPN: 08-159) and the more expensive one is with the DD Optics Planet (UPC:817953025130 MPN: 05-858)?

Thanks!
View Quote

The more expensive one is the Clone one with Colt upper receiver, BCG, and 4 prong. It's possible that the last batch made did have the correct gas block as well.

I personally wouldn't use the Geissele gas block with a MK16 but you'll probably be fine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

The more expensive one is the Clone one with Colt upper receiver, BCG, and 4 prong. It's possible that the last batch made did have the correct gas block as well.

I personally wouldn't use the Geissele gas block with a MK16 but you'll probably be fine.
View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 2:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wake27] [#10]

Thanks!
View Quote

I wasn't overly stressed about the clearance thing but between hating gov profile barrels and not giving an f about cloneisms, I just grabbed the rail and had it built around a BCM ELW barrel and SLR-7 micro GB since that seemed like one of the smallest ones available. Super happy with it though now I would have put a Criterion Core in it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Why is that?
View All Quotes

Why is that?

Clearance. Peace of mind.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Why is that?

Forgive me for not reading back further (as I'm sure this was discussed already), but the Geissele gas block has issues clearing their own Mk16 rail?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Forgive me for not reading back further (as I'm sure this was discussed already), but the Geissele gas block has issues clearing their own Mk16 rail?
View All Quotes

Why is that?

Yeah

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wWzRsSLcY
View All Quotes

Why is that?

Yeah

Interesting.

I guess that is the question then - does Geissele still build their URG-I uppers with a gas block that does this? Or have they fixed this problem with a smaller gas block?
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Interesting.

I guess that is the question then - does Geissele still build their URG-I uppers with a gas block that does this? Or have they fixed this problem with a smaller gas block?
View All Quotes

Why is that?

Yeah

Interesting.

That is with their newer, thinner gas block.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Interesting.

View All Quotes

Why is that?

Yeah

Interesting.

I dont know if they changed the block. Its just a good idea to avoid that block all together. The fact that the thing is 17-4 steel and nitrided, plus the raised rib on the ends, is a recipe for damage if it strikes the inside of the rail, such as what appears to happen in that video.

I believe they may have quietly made changes to their rail to prevent distortion of the picatinny rail if the rail gets damaged. you can see these changes if you look closely.

This is all speculation tho. They never publicly addressed this issue, but they are aware of it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]

That is with their newer, thinner gas block.
View Quote

So it sounds like the only way around this is to build one? I don't see any URGI for sale with the DD gas block. If anyone has a line on one please send my way. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bChau] [#18]

I dont know if they changed the block. Its just a good idea to avoid that block all together. The fact that the thing is 17-4 steel and nitrided, plus the raised rib on the ends, is a recipe for damage if it strikes the inside of the rail, such as what appears to happen in that video.

I believe they may have quietly made changes to their rail to prevent distortion of the picatinny rail if the rail gets damaged. you can see these changes if you look closely.

This is all speculation tho. They never publicly addressed this issue, but they are aware of it.
View Quote
At some point a year ish ago, they changed their gas blocks so the raised edges aren't as pronounced. The G gas block that came with my 9.3" MK16 has the raised edges, and the G gas block that came with my 10.5" MK16 has the raised edges machined down.

With that said, I still wouldn't use one. They leak gas like crazy compared to other gas blocks the DD gas block or Badger Ordnance Mk12 gas block.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#19]

So it sounds like the only way around this is to build one? I don't see any URGI for sale with the DD gas block. If anyone has a line on one please send my way. Thanks
View Quote

The only other option is trimming down or replacing the Geissele gas block with a different low profile option.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#20]

The only other option is trimming down or replacing the Geissele gas block with a different low profile option.
View All Quotes

I went the build route.  Ordered the barrel with gas block from Daniel Defense.  

Replacing the gas block would work as long as it’s not a pin/weld upper.  I wouldn’t want to trash a 4 prong for the sake of swapping a gas block.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#21]

I wish they had back in stock notifications.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Got a shipping notification from optics planet yesterday. Tracking says the barrel should arrive by Tuesday.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:49:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Whatever you do when searching for a mk16 or urg-i, stay away from Charlies Custom clones.

They will take your money, and maybe ship you an incorrect upper 1 year later. Maybe.
View Quote

Yes, stay far away from them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:

1000% this! ^^^

And when you cancel your order within their policy they will take over 6 months and have literally every excuse under the sun to refund your money.
View Quote

This too, happened to me. I had to dispute the charge with my credit card company. Then they refunded me after I lit a fire under their ass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#26]

2. No idea, I'd probably use the AFG specific MLOK rail or get an MLOK AFG.
View All Quotes
2 questions

2. No idea, I'd probably use the AFG specific MLOK rail or get an MLOK AFG.
When I talked to DD a couple weeks ago to try to fix my barrel, I was told they do not offer the LPGB as a separate piece nor do they have a custom shop service to install one at customer choice.  The only way to get the correct pinned LPGB is to buy the barrel complete with the pinned LPGB.

Instead of altering a Badger  set screw LPGB I had an LBE Unlimited set screw LPGB on hand that fits perfect until something else comes up., will just require drilling out then using a larger diameter pin to pin/weld the Surefire 4P again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

If you email and ask them about it:
Attachment Attached File

Contrary to their claimed position, there seems to have been significant changes in geometry between my 2018 BF rail and this one I picked up this year...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mmmboats:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457582/493CAAC1-EA85-4205-805B-4D37F6627C6C_jpe-1728854.JPG

Contrary to their claimed position, there seems to have been significant changes in geometry between my 2018 BF rail and this one I picked up this year...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457582/2845CFA0-658B-41F7-ACAB-1D7CBFB99B00_jpe-1728851.JPG
View Quote

Any chance you'd weigh them?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#29]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457582/493CAAC1-EA85-4205-805B-4D37F6627C6C_jpe-1728854.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/457582/2845CFA0-658B-41F7-ACAB-1D7CBFB99B00_jpe-1728851.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Older one (left) is about .025” R, newer one (right) is about .090" R.

It is possible that the change was unintentional. Maybe the extrusion was remade? It is also possible that person doesn't know about the modification.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#30]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/_20201213_105118_JPG-1728954.JPG

It is possible that the change was unintentional. Maybe the extrusion was remade? It is also possible that person doesn't know about the modification.
View All Quotes

Here is what a typical corner stress concentration curve looks like (I just pulled this off web, these are material specific) but in general, a factor of 1.5 or less is considered acceptable.

All recent rails I've seen, consistently have that fillet radius of around ~ 0.0900- 0.0850".

Also the thickness on each side of the picatinny is about 0.0850"

This gives an R/T of around 1 which for most materials would be comfortably inside the concentration factor of 1.5, meaning the maximum corner stress is no greater than 1.5 times the average stress in the material.

Note: with no radius or a really small radius this factor goes toward infinity, which gives you bendy boi.

Maybe they just changed extrusion dies or some other mistake or coincidence.

"No mistakes just happy accidents"
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mmmboats] [#31]
Originally Posted By far_north_311:

Any chance you'd weigh them?
View Quote

All built up at the moment. Don’t really want to strip everything down.  Weight difference is probably negligible. As Vapor-Trail pointed out, it’s the radius on the top rail that was a concern raised during “railgate”.  That’s the apparent difference between the original rails and the supposedly newer revs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#32]

View All Quotes

A worn extruder die could produce thicker walls (and more pronounced radii) too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

A worn extruder die could produce thicker walls (and more pronounced radii) too.
View Quote

It could be, but I doubt it. This new profile appeared all of a sudden last year at this time, with no in-between radius/thickness, along with some other differences.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

My 2019 BF rail looks like the one on the right.

So that narrows the change down to sometime between 2018 BF and 2019 BF.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

ive been looking at these pics for like 20 minutes and i cant see the difference. how/where do i messure mine to see if its .025 or .090?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]

ive been looking at these pics for like 20 minutes and i cant see the difference. how/where do i messure mine to see if its .025 or .090?
View All Quotes

See if an 11/64 drill bit fits right in this corner here.

If so you have the newer version.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

You can use a radius gauge like this, or get close with calipers.

The one on the left looks odd because there is a chamfer on the top edge.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]
For what it's worth, this is the response I got back the other day (last week):

"Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in our products. When the URG-I first came out some of the MK12 gas blocks did make contact with the rails so we began to modify them in house for clearance and then the modified MK12 became standard. For the near clones, we use our Geissele low profile gas block which has been reduced in size as well from the first generations of gas blocks. Although Gas blocks can be self-sealing after it builds up some carbon we also use a sealant when installing them as well to prevent any leakages."
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I still laugh every time someone comments on my video saying that it wasn't torqued correctly when we showed us torqueing it.  5 foot pounds on that freshly calibrated Tohnichi torque driver we used takes minimal effort.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#41]
nvm
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#42]
This showed up today, so we are making progress.

I am working my way through the thread ( long read) im on like page 80 some and CD doesn't even have his hands on one yet! lol this story could use cliff notes.

Anyways, aside from making a bot to scrape all the images. are there any other dumps with URGI in the wild pictures?

I am trying to figure out the LPVO options really are. The Sig tango won the contract but i haven't seen it on a single URGI. Is it really just mix and match razor 1-6 w/ any Geissele mount you like 1.53 or 1.93? i have the mil/leo version capped turret NX8 is that fair game?  im not use to all this freedom....

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sn8kplissken] [#43]
Lpvo options are pretty wide spread I think you could go so many different ways for a urgi I ended up going with a gen 2 E
Atacr 1-8
Nx8
Mk6 1-6
Razor gen 2 or the new gen 3
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sn8kplissken:
Lpvo options are pretty wide spread I think you could go so many different ways for a urgi I ended up going with a gen 2 E
Atacr 1-8
Nx8
Mk6 1-6
Razor gen 2 or the new gen 3
View Quote

Yep, issued optics seem to be from the Block II SOPMOD program for now.  So Eotech and Elcan.  Aimpoint M4s from big Army also seem to be in use.  

LPVO’s seem to be unit or personal purchased.  The Gen II Razor seems to be most popular.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ve seen two Strike Eagles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:33:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rickrolled-devtsix] [#46]
U.S. Army Green berets assigned to the 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group await the order to commence a building breach, as part of Close Quarter Battle (CQB) training, May 5, 2020. Local missions are designed to maintain proficiency. (U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Thomas Mort)

https://i.imgur.com/FQJdo3c.jpg

Shorty in the back.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Rickrolled-devtsix:
U.S. Army Green berets assigned to the 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group await the order to commence a building breach, as part of Close Quarter Battle (CQB) training, May 5, 2020. Local missions are designed to maintain proficiency. (U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Thomas Mort)

Shorty in the back.
View Quote

what?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

what?
View Quote

Short barreled URGI in the back, guy on right of pic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:34:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

Short barreled URGI in the back, guy on right of pic.
View Quote

lol i spent like 3 minutes looking.  gave up.  came back and immediately spotted it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting photo posted in the Glocks in the SF thread in the Handgun forum. Note the Cloud Defensive LCS and Streamlight HLX combo on the rifle on the right, for those of you that want to use that light option. I recognize the mountains, so it must be 10th Group.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 262
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top