User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Peer nations don't fight each other with rifles.

The type of small arms ammo you are using in that fight would matter about as much as the color of your socks.  

Peer fights, assuming they remain conventional...will be Naval blockades with massive electronic/cyber warfare elements with random missiles falling from the sky and things like the SFW hitting your vehicles followed by unbelievable artillery barrages.  

That's not even addressing things like crashing one another's power grids, financial markets, medical systems, and similar...  

Small arms would be an afterthought.  

If we are fighting people with real body armor in large numbers...and using small arms to do it...something is going very wrong.  
View Quote
Like nothing has ever gone terrible wrong in the world.   I think we sometimes forget how bad it could get, like we're totally immune.  It helps to have big bodies of water inbetween us and say, europe, asia and africa.  But c'mon.  The world, even this country, has seen some crazy stuff.   During the civil war, death was ever present and awful.  Yet at the same time people sometimes had picnics to watch the fights.......    Or so I'm told.  I'm no expert and I wasn't there.  But really, sometimes it feels like we're one miracle away from SHTF.  And furthermore, localized parts of our own country have seen their own SHTF situations.  Even if it was relatively short lived.  

I mean, the whole island of Puerto Rico is out of power due to a storm?.  What do you think would happen in New York if that happened?   Maybe people would love each other kumbaya.  Or maybe not.  Not to focus just on SHTF.  But the world, can be a pretty crazy place at times.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ambi charging handles likely? Are they permitted for current use now etc..? Preferred...or not preferred..
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ambi charging handles likely? Are they permitted for current use now etc..? Preferred...or not preferred..
View Quote
Likely I would think, or possibly configurable for either hand. The new Colt M5 is supposed to be completely ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Kinda cool the lower used the same ambi controls of the le901 in a smaller package. I have the 901 and the ambi controls work great so it’s cool to see on a smaller lower
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Woh:

"The Colt M5 uses a conventional short-stroke tappet piston where a two piece piston/ operating rod strikes the face of the bolt carrier group driving it rearward and the piston rod returns to its forward position by a spring."
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Rail by Geissele. That could be very lucrative for Bill.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Woh:

"The Colt M5 uses a conventional short-stroke tappet piston where a two piece piston/ operating rod strikes the face of the bolt carrier group driving it rearward and the piston rod returns to its forward position by a spring."
View Quote
I'm calling bullshit on this. Colt had the M5 on display at two other shows, including SHOT show, and they were DI. Those were the "production" rifles, even.

Even still, the solicitation for the new SOCOM upgrades specifically word themselves as such that pistons need not apply, according to some SMEs who posted about this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 4:22:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kinda cool the lower used the same ambi controls of the le901 in a smaller package. I have the 901 and the ambi controls work great so it’s cool to see on a smaller lower
View Quote
Personally, I thought the execution of the ambi mag release was the weakness for the new M5.

Why make a huge lever like this:

When it could be made like this:

Unless it's designed for lefties wearing mittens, I think a much smaller mag release button would have been preferable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm calling bullshit on this. Colt had the M5 on display at two other shows, including SHOT show, and they were DI. Those were the "production" rifles, even.

Even still, the solicitation for the new SOCOM upgrades specifically word themselves as such that pistons need not apply, according to some SMEs who posted about this.
View Quote
I'm with this guy. Besides there isn't room under a Geissele rail for a piston system.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I was just quoting what the article said.  I have no clue if they knew what they were talking about or not.  

I thought it was interesting though since Stukas87 said he'd rather have a piston system.  It was the first time I heard that said by someone that has a clue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
So what will the new M4A1 rail be?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not DD.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is the mk14 or 8 similar or what?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geissele rail. Not currently available to civvies.
I believe they are testing the Mk16 9.5 and 13.5 but no "Block III" rail has been selected.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hoping 14.5" mid-length, but we'll have to see about that.

And interesting read about the Geissele selector. So, if I'm reading correctly, you have to manually hold the selector in the "Auto" position while firing and then upon releasing the selector it automatically retracts back into the "Semi" mode? Seems kinda goofy if you ask me.
View Quote
Fucking retarded
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And interesting read about the Geissele selector. So, if I'm reading correctly, you have to manually hold the selector in the "Auto" position while firing and then upon releasing the selector it automatically retracts back into the "Semi" mode? Seems kinda goofy if you ask me.
View Quote
Fucking retarded.  Hard to imagine manipulating that reliably under stress.  45 degree selector seems like the answer to me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fucking retarded
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking retarded
Per SMEs, most shooting is done in SEMI...AUTO being for SHTF... but maybe the short throw lever would be better?

One person who tested the selector, said it not THAT bad.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Per SMEs, most shooting is done in SEMI...AUTO being for SHTF... but maybe the short throw lever would be better?

One person who tested the selector, said it not THAT bad.
View Quote
But how does it hold up to long term abuse?

A lot say the SCAR isn't that bad. Yet it broke like crazy under hard abuse. It adds extra springs and complexity to one of the most simple parts in the AR system.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fucking retarded.  Hard to imagine manipulating that reliably under stress.  45 degree selector seems like the answer to me.
View Quote
It's absolutely GENIUS. Seriously. Even when not under stress, flipping a switch to go to full auto is slow, and awkward. Having a 'toggle' button is so brilliant, and potentially revolutionary if the military adopts it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's absolutely GENIUS. Seriously. Even when not under stress, flipping a switch to go to full auto is slow, and awkward. Having a 'toggle' button is so brilliant, and potentially revolutionary if the military adopts it.
View Quote
I agree. Toggle auto makes so much sense.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also agree.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The ideal solution for full auto is the system used by the AUG/P90 - the "two stage progressive trigger" - a half pull is semi auto, while hard full pull to the rear engages full auto. This allows you to switch between semi and full on a moment to moment basis without manipulating any controls beyond the pressure of your trigger finger.

But the Geissele HSS/ Gas Pedal is the 2nd best solution out there, and it's a huge improvement over the current 180 degree AR selector.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The ideal solution for full auto is the system used by the AUG/P90 - the "two stage progressive trigger" - a half pull is semi auto, while hard full pull to the rear engages full auto. This allows you to switch between semi and full on a moment to moment basis without manipulating any controls beyond the pressure of your trigger finger.

But the Geissele HSS/ Gas Pedal is the 2nd best solution out there, and it's a huge improvement over the current 180 degree AR selector.
View Quote
Having shot the P90 full auto, I disagree. I hated that setup for the full auto control. Better to have one consistent trigger pull in my book.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
So any news on the MK-16 rail being the block 3 rail and the Vortex razor being the new optic?
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So any news on the MK-16 rail being the block 3 rail and the Vortex razor being the new optic?
View Quote
Nope
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bill confirmed the MK16 rail a couple days ago in a thread but I don't remember which one.

ETA: He said they weren't releasing it right now due to filling mil contacts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#30]
For URG-I (no such thing as Block III per say)
Mk16 M-LOK rail, 13.5 DDC
DDC Airborne Charging Handle
DD 14.5 midlength CHF w/gas block dimples
DD MK12 gas block
Legacy SF4Ps
SSF triggers already in use
H2 buffer

The gas pedal trigger was part of a parallel Marine Corps effort called the IMR - basically a URG-I but with a few added tweaks

S/F
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#31]
B3(ish)
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/21QFN2A"></a>20171102_164241 by B A, on Flickr

As for the Geissele gas pedal selector, having been issued an M27(16in barreled HK416 variant) a couple times, I can tell you flipping to full auto is a chore. Being able to press and hold for auto would have been amazing and much quicker and effective at engaging. If you think it's stupid, you either don't understand the concept or have zero experience with full auto.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
B3(ish)
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/21QFN2A">https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4574/38619648556_898a56d0e6_z.jpg</a>20171102_164241 by B A, on Flickr

As for the Geissele gas pedal selector, having been issued an M27(16in barreled HK416 variant) a couple times, I can tell you flipping to full auto is a chore. Being able to press and hold for auto would have been amazing and much quicker and effective at engaging. If you think it's stupid, you either don't understand the concept or have zero experience with full auto.
View Quote
If you don't mind sharing, at what distance is the M27 effective in full auto? And how often is it employed in FA vs as a semi auto DMR?

I know the 416 is considered very accurate in semi auto, but I am very curious as to how it performs in full auto.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you don't mind sharing, at what distance is the M27 effective in full auto? And how often is it employed in FA vs as a semi auto DMR?

I know the 416 is considered very accurate in semi auto, but I am very curious as to how it performs in full auto.
View Quote
I was trained for bursts of 5-6rds at 100-150m or less. Beyond that out to 300m it would be 3-4rd bursts, but mostly precision fires on semi.

Although it was much heavier than an M4, I thought it was much more accurate. The auto trigger mechanism was much lighter and far less gritty than the horrific M4 burst mechanism.

I thoroughly enjoyed the M27 and was very effective with it. It allowed me to make very precise shots but also to turn the heat up with aggression and get momentum going within the small unit.

Flipping 180 to go back on safe during movement was a chore but doable. Having the G gas pedal would have eliminated any fumbling and made movement quicker.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#34]
My rifle for police things.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For URG-I (no such thing as Block III per say)
Mk16 M-LOK rail, 13.5 DDC
DDC Airborne Charging Handle
DD 14.5 midlength CHF w/gas block dimples
DD MK12 gas block
Legacy SF4Ps
SSF triggers already in use
H2 buffer

The gas pedal trigger was part of a parallel Marine Corps effort called the IMR - basically a URG-I but with a few added tweaks

S/F
View Quote
What happened to the IMR? And is that list definitive? What happened to the Warcomp?

Also, did they decide to go with a lighter weight barrel profile?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104386/IMG_3688_JPG-287941.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/104386/IMG_3687_JPG-287945.jpg

I can't remember where these pictures originally surfaced but I've heard these are test uppers for block III.
View Quote
That's a lot of Geissele.  This is a good thing.

DD barrel?

ETA yes, DD it appears.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agree not goofy I wish I had it my last tour.

Going over to full auto takes way too much. You don't know you need it until you really need it. trust me its too far of a manipulation to be fast.
Yes 99% of training even in SF is based off semi-auto. I think its in part to the difficulty with the safety design and training scars.
Circa 1997 we trained full auto a lot for CQB, (at least the SF unit I was in.) Now almost non-existent in formal training.

I bet it was not dreamed up on the fly ...I bet created from direct feedback form assaulters down range.

And one comment on here of what if springs wear out? Already plenty of springs in the M4 and they do just fine.
View Quote
I talked a little with the gunner in this thread on the problems with the full auto selector.

When you are in a confused environment you want full auto as your go-to but going from safe to full is awkward in a way safe-semi isn't.  After first contact I was in burst and if I need control or accuracy I could back off to semi.

I started doing this after I had two pop up moving targets at about 30Ms with nothing but my terp and it took me way too long to get on target.  Had I had burst or full auto it would have been a much easier shot.  we all trained safe, semi, engage, back to safe.  But that just doesn't work with the traditional selector for burst/auto

I am not sure how good the maintaining pressure for full auto is, however.  I assume you can "set it and forget it"

as a leg infantry, we get very little training on either burst or moving targets.  Much less both.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

DD barrel?

ETA yes, DD it appears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't remember where these pictures originally surfaced but I've heard these are test uppers for block III.

DD barrel?

ETA yes, DD it appears.
I like it, but is it me or does that scope seem to high?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice!

Waiting on my first eotech now.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Now if Geissele could just release the Mk16 in a 10-10.75" for all the 11.5" SBRs...
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DD barrel?

ETA yes, DD it appears.
That looks like Geisele's tall mount for sure.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on how you look at it.

Throw a PEC on the top rail and it is the right height.

Had this debate a few months back.  I, personally, like a higher scope mount for CQB (in the general sense, not the technical sense).  The more heads up I am, while still maintaining my head on the gun, the more I can see around me and the faster I can react to targets.  I give up some accuracy by not having a solid cheekweld, but I would rather miss a 600M shot than not see a 10M target.

Fastest shooting in the world is Trap (reacting to unknown targets at unknown angles)

This is a pretty standard rig at the high level.

When we game, we tend to forget about the target acquisition piece because we know where the targets are.

Think back to the old pop up range.  What did you do?  You lifted your head above the sights to acquire the target, dropped down and sighted in and took the shot.  This, in theory, eliminates one step in that engagement chain.

I have a G high mount.  Really want to try the Razor 1-6 on it and see how it goes.  blew all my money on other shit this Black Friday, though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Had this debate a few months back.  I, personally, like a higher scope mount for CQB (in the general sense, not the technical sense).  The more heads up I am, while still maintaining my head on the gun, the more I can see around me and the faster I can react to targets.  I give up some accuracy by not having a solid cheekweld, but I would rather miss a 600M shot than not see a 10M target.

Fastest shooting in the world is Trap (reacting to unknown targets at unknown angles)

http://www.nikonspoton.org/files/2015/01/trap-shooting.jpg

When we game, we tend to forget about the target acquisition piece because we know where the targets are.

Think back to the old pop up range.  What did you do?  You lifted your head above the sights to acquire the target, dropped down and sighted in and took the shot.  This, in theory, eliminates one step in that engagement chain.

I have a G high mount.  Really want to try the Razor 1-6 on it and see how it goes.  blew all my money on other shit this Black Friday, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes perfect sense, I want a Razor as well, just blew a lot of cash on my block 2 build and still need a PEQ15 and eotech.

The Razor is gonna have to wait.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I talked a little with the gunner in this thread on the problems with the full auto selector.

When you are in a confused environment you want full auto as your go-to but going from safe to full is awkward in a way safe-semi isn't.  After first contact I was in burst and if I need control or accuracy I could back off to semi.

I started doing this after I had two pop up moving targets at about 30Ms with nothing but my terp and it took me way too long to get on target.  Had I had burst or full auto it would have been a much easier shot.  we all trained safe, semi, engage, back to safe.  But that just doesn't work with the traditional selector for burst/auto

I am not sure how good the maintaining pressure for full auto is, however.  I assume you can "set it and forget it"

as a leg infantry, we get very little training on either burst or moving targets.  Much less both.
View Quote
Even though the range facilities have existed for decades.  From my time we had an M60 known distance range, I believe, that had the OD silhouettes or the 3D Ivan targets in groups of three on a track system that popped them up, moved them about 30ft or may have been more, then the group would go down.  Then it would go back the other way.   Were like two or three of these lateral movers among a bunch of others that simulated an oncoming attack, they would start at the back popping up, then successive rows, closer and closer would pop up.  That was one of the best and funnest ranges I did instead of the 25m range BS or repeating the BRM ranges.

Edit: This would have been Army, late 90s obviously, and I want to say Wildflecken is the one I remember.   We tended to do more in the FWD Bdes, stateside duty was always twice a year, (once a year under Clinton) confirm Zero, go hit the BRM range for annual qualitification and that was it.   We freq didn't even have unit funds for fucking blanks for FTX or parts for Tracks unless it was a safety Deadline gig that couldn't be Circle Xed by the BMO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What happened to the IMR? And is that list definitive? What happened to the Warcomp?

Also, did they decide to go with a lighter weight barrel profile?
View Quote
You want to know what happened? I'll tell you what happened.

First, it was sealed until someone leaked an old presentation on the CRA service rifles Facebook group, but you knew that.

Basically, the GS mafia and no Colonel left behind program killed it through a steady barrage of personal and professional attacks, blatant power plays, successfully preventing exposure to end users, delaying/holding actions, misinforming GOs, deliberately taking information and data out of context, not writing requirements, selecting a system solution through a preference based process in a closed loop, running a complete IO campaign completely contradictory to social media guidelines, failing to write requirements (of any kind) correctly IAW the DOD 5000, attempting actions not in line with the FAR and DFAR, concealing Picatinny durability assessments, failing to integrate efforts laterally to other services as part of the JCIDS process, ignoring the process of proponency to advocacy, and basically being completely derelict in their duties.

So, status quo it is, decided by non shooting retired Colonels that still wear their rank, and self proclaimed SMEs. You should FOIA the latest requirements memorandum for an SDMR capability and inquire why its so lax, and why the D, T, M, L, and F parts of the DOTMLPF has essentially been ignored. Its taking constant (and rare) prayer and restraint not to name names, tell all, and metaphorically burn it all down.

In the meantime, yes, the URG-I is as stated. It is a logical approach to evolutionary capabilities growth. I predict, and hope, others will take the same logical approach.

S/F
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you watch the hostage rescue vid from Iraq back in what...2007ish...the guys who do HR were running EO Techs on top of AR carrying handles.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#49]
All those high speed low drag acronyms.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top