Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 9:12:22 AM EDT
I shipped a 6920 to Colt in May. I called a few weeks ago and Cory told me it was just getting with a tech. I'm not complaining - they are repairing it under warranty - but was curious what a typical repair time is for them. Their paperwork said 30 days.

FYI - I checked the barrel nut torque, sights, crown, flash hider, etc. It all looked good and the cause for the issue baffled me. It groups about 25" at 50 yards since it bounced out of a side by side and fell down a rocky cliff end over end.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious, how long ago did you receive the returned determination letter stating 30 days?  Recently or back towards May timeframe?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
According to the letter I received in May, the 30 day period ended on June 25th.

Hope that answers your question.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I was curious. I have one there right now, and I haven't hit the 30 days yet from the letter.   Guess I'll be waiting awhile...
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I shipped a 6920 to Colt in May. I called a few weeks ago and Cory told me it was just getting with a tech. I'm not complaining - they are repairing it under warranty - but was curious what a typical repair time is for them. Their paperwork said 30 days.

FYI - I checked the barrel nut torque, sights, crown, flash hider, etc. It all looked good and the cause for the issue baffled me. It groups about 25" at 50 yards since it bounced out of a side by side and fell down a rocky cliff end over end.
View Quote

They're still performing a warranty repair even after telling them it fell off a cliff? Or did they just agree to diagnose the issue free of charge and then make the necessary repairs on your dime?

And two foot groups at 50 yards is nuts. Something is way out of whack. Did it still cycle after this? Possibly a bent barrel?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're still performing a warranty repair even after telling them it fell off a cliff? Or did they just agree to diagnose the issue free of charge and then make the necessary repairs on your dime?

And two foot groups at 50 yards is nuts. Something is way out of whack. Did it still cycle after this? Possibly a bent barrel?
View Quote
Ha, that's a heck of a warranty if he told them and they were still willing to eat there repair.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. I was very clear that it was user error and offered to pay for it. They said they would repair it under warranty because, and this was >3 months ago so it may not be entirely accurate, "our rifles have seen worse in decades of combat. It should have been able to handle that"

Given the nature of how it was damaged and the offer to fix it for free I can't be upset at all over the length of time it has taken. I'm very curious what the issue will be though considering I checked all of the "usuals" already. It's either a bent barrel or something else that's hard to detect.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ha, that's a heck of a warranty if he told them and they were still willing to eat there repair.
View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if the upper receiver could have a hairline crack in the threads that's enough to allow some barrel movement, yet no enough that you noticed headspacing issues.   I've never dealt with a bent barrel, but wouldn't it at least throw a consistent group, albeit way off?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if the upper receiver could have a hairline crack in the threads that's enough to allow some barrel movement, yet no enough that you noticed headspacing issues.   I've never dealt with a bent barrel, but wouldn't it at least throw a consistent group, albeit way off?
View Quote
It may, it may not. Like you, I've never had any issues with a bent barrel, so I can't really speculate on whether it would be consistently off or not.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I will just keep waiting. I'm very happy Colt decided to pick up the tab on this. Shows they really stand behind what they produce.

Good, free, and quick. Can only pick two.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Another month gone by and no rifle.

Going on 4 months now. Again, happy that they are repairing under warranty but we are getting into NFA wait time territory.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Since mine was straightforward, I called yesterday.  It's currently with a smith.  Contact said they have racks of them...they go to the smiths a rack at a time.  He anticipated a couple weeks until return shipment.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top